• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TAD Evolution 2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 66 15.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 208 47.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 149 34.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters

Hart

I am trying to figure out the motivation for a company sending in an arguably 5-7 thousand dollar speaker priced at 20k. Perhaps if you are not very well known any publicity is better than none? For 20k you can get a really good full range or nearly full range speaker that has a well known track record. It might cost $600-$1,000 to build a pair (?), and if they only sell 300 they are doing pretty well.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

xplo5iv

I don't quite understand the general resistance to EQ often expressed here. EQ is cheap and repeatable. To me it would make total sense to create speakers where the design emphasis is on all the other parameters which make a difference to SQ, and for the manufacturer to then provide recommended EQ settings to use on your platform of choice. Even better, also provide EQ settings for each driver, to enable bypassing the crossover and going fully active.
(eg like Linkwitz did for his designs)
Maybe one day it will catch on...

Last edited:

xplo5iv

Only in this topic, or on ASR? ASR like EQ, especially in headphones.
It was this topic that stimulated my post, but other speakers, too. The attitude 'you shouldn't have to EQ a speaker at this price' seems common.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was this topic that stimulated my post, but other speakers, too. The attitude 'you shouldn't have to EQ a speaker at this price' seems common.
EQ away, if you like. Seems inappropriate to repair the response of an expensive speaker. I mean, what's next? $100k fixer-uppers, where you design your own crossover? ;)

xplo5iv

EQ away, if you like. Seems inappropriate to repair the response of an expensive speaker.
You've made exactly the point I was referring to, the idea that EQ being required is in some way a fault.
The best final results will surely be attained by focusing speaker design on the mechanics - IMD, directivity etc., rather than worrying about FR which is best done in the electronics.
Focus on the FR will inevitablyresult in compromises elsewhere, where they can't be fixed by electronics.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You've made exactly the point I was referring to, the idea that EQ being required is in some way a fault.
The best final results will surely be attained by focusing speaker design on the mechanics - IMD, directivity etc., rather than worrying about FR which is best done in the electronics.
Focus on the FR will inevitablyresult in compromises elsewhere, where they can't be fixed by electronics.
I won't deny that. But my point remains: if you pay top dollar (pound?) you should expect the engineering to be done. If I wanted DIY I'd make my own. Oh wait! I did :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
EQ away, if you like. Seems inappropriate to repair the response of an expensive speaker. I mean, what's next? $100k fixer-uppers, where you design your own crossover? ;)
We usually repair the room's FR,not the speaker's one.
And as long as there's huge room to room varation,it only makes sense that the right way for a speaker is to be EQ friendly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We usually repair the room's FR,not the speaker's one.
And as long as there's huge room to room varation,it only makes sense that the right way for a speaker is to be EQ friendly.
EQ friendly is great. And if someone else wants small utilitarian hobby speakers for $20k, I won't stop them.

For me, it all comes down to value. You can buy far better for the money, and the engineering has been completed. But if you have a spare $20k and you have to have these, go for it.

xplo5iv

I won't deny that. But my point remains: if you pay top dollar (pound?) you should expect the engineering to be done. If I wanted DIY I'd make my own. Oh wait! I did :)
Yeah, so did I
Don't get me wrong, the engineering should be done, I'm saying that providing the required EQ /active crossover details is engineering. (which TAD haven't done here, so no defense)

Sokel

Master Contributor
And if someone else wants small utilitarian
Oh,me too.
My taste varies between big Sonus Fabers and Kyron Audio speakers (yes,I'm a weirdo liking both of them)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh,me too.
My taste varies between big Sonus Fabers and Kyron Audio speakers (yes,I'm a weirdo liking both of them)
I'm not much on little speakers, either. My taste runs to Salon2s or big JBL horn systems like the K2 S9900.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I think the "Reviews" here would be very good if this was a $2,500-$3,000 speaker or somewhere around that price.

Looks decent, lowish distortion, fairly decent F.R. overall and VERY good Deep bass performance. Nothing glaringly bad for sure, except the price is so far out of line with what it is.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the "Reviews" here would be very good if this was a $2,500-$3,000 speaker or somewhere around that price.

Looks decent, lowish distortion, fairly decent F.R. overall and VERY good Deep bass performance. Nothing glaringly bad for sure, except the price is so far out of line with what it is.
Yeah, fit and finish only go so far, unless you just want the TAD name.

Vhond

I am trying to figure out the motivation for a company sending in an arguably 5-7 thousand dollar speaker priced at 20k. Perhaps if you are not very well known any publicity is better than none? For 20k you can get a really good full range or nearly full range speaker that has a well known track record. It might cost $600-$1,000 to build a pair (?), and if they only sell 300 they are doing pretty well.
Sigh, then name a brand instead of telling us that they are 5-7 k speakers... what full range speaker has that well known record ( I guess I won't get a reply like many others not respond at my question to name speakers which are worth the 20 k, or 15 k when living in Europe)...

Top Bottom