• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tablet recommendation

threni

Major Contributor
Considering how cheap they are (relatively) I would get one of the latest. I'd probably by the 4GB model, but really the 2GB would be OK to just run moOde or Volumio

You'll need a case and a power supply.

If you're going with moOde I've got that running on a Pi Zero W which has 512mb ram! If you're using moOde you don't need a screen - you could just control it with the web interface or an Android/etc app (moOde is running mpd so any mpd client would do).

I ain't got time for no cases - I just attached an external USB drive to it with a rubber band and dropped it behind my amp/DAC!

Reactions: MCH
OP
M

Megaken

Considering how cheap they are (relatively) I would get one of the latest. I'd probably by the 4GB model, but really the 2GB would be OK to just run moOde or Volumio

Is there like a tutorial?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
My Fire HD8+ has wireless charging. I only use it as a clock and remote control though.

OP
M

Megaken

Ok i need to understand the concept of what I'm doing before doing it. What does the RPi actually do? I understand you can have storage and it will give it a GUI. What about if I want to play from YouTube or soundcloud?

Also, what is the device chain like? Right now I have the source (phone) that goes to usb dac, then that goes to receiver. The RPi replaces the source? It can connect to my dac via USB?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

Megaken

Maybe one of the Lenovo's with the charging doc...

Smart Tab M8 with the Google Assistant | 2-in1 tablet + home assistant | Lenovo UK

You'd want to check tha the micro-USB port is available when it's docked and that the tablet supports USB host mode.

You'd want to run USB Audio Player Pro to get direct access to the DAC and bypass Androids sample rate and bit depth limitations.

Yea i actually think that charging dock connects to the USB port so it wouldn't work.

OP
M

Megaken

I found this video for an audiophile Pi case, but the specs mention that it has a DAC. So it's not what I need?

Bamyasi

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea i actually think that charging dock connects to the USB port so it wouldn't work.

Another option would be to build an RPi to play the music and connect to the DAC, but control it with an Android tablet. However my own experiments in this area have yeilded at less than optimal user experience - I have an Huawei M5 10" tablet and i've tried controlling Volumio and Moode from it and it wasn't great. I've found that using Spotify connect to talk to my main PC (and setup in my .sig) to be the most user friendly experience.

Chazz6

I use a Samsung Tablet S6 Lite as the control screen. But I avoid its audio path by having a wifi network in the house. The audio files are stored on a desktop computer (which has all the storage I need). The router is connected to the Internet of course for streams. The router broadcasts a stream, under control of the tablet, to an Audioengine B-Fi, which receives the wifi and feeds into a DAC (also has its own fairly decent DAC with a line output).

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Tablet is the first thing I tried Apple with and I don't regret it. THough i don't ever really have to login to the "apple ecosystem" so yah that will be a hassle for you. Though I bought them used because they're freakin expensive.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not going for a convertible notebook and tablet in one.
I'm using a similar one in the porch.
If you get an x86 laptop like an Intel Core or AMD Ryzen-based system that's dubbed a "2-in-1", that means it has a touch screen and the keyboard can be flipped back to put it into tablet mode. The computer can also be used for Room EQ Wizard measurements and other things. It's what I do with my Toshiba Satellite.

0bs3rv3r

Ok i need to understand the concept of what I'm doing before doing it. What does the RPi actually do? I understand you can have storage and it will give it a GUI. What about if I want to play from YouTube or soundcloud?

Also, what is the device chain like? Right now I have the source (phone) that goes to usb dac, then that goes to receiver. The RPi replaces the source? It can connect to my dac via USB?

OK, raspberry Pi usually run a derivative of Debian Linux. You can install a minimal system with a command line interface only, or everything inclding the GUI , plug in a HDMI screen and USB keyboard and mouse, and run a full desktop system, just like any home computer. The latter has all the usuall programs, browsers, etc, and can certainly play Youtube.

Special versions of operating systems, like moOde and Volumio, run a cut down version and a custom written program the presents a GUI screen as a web page, and you use it from another computer on your network. It can also support a local touchscreen plugged into the Pi, but I don't do it that way. These programs are for playing music, not video btw.

Device chain? Well, the Pi replaces the phone and connects to the internet (wifi or wired) and streams music, or plays localy stored files from a NAS, on your network, or files on a drive plugged directly into the Pi vi a USB port. You can install DAC hardware on the Pi motherboard, but the simplest way is to just plug in your existing external DAC via USB (the Pi has 4 USB ports)

0bs3rv3r

I have an Huawei M5 10" tablet and i've tried controlling Volumio and Moode from it and it wasn't great.

Early versions could get a bit slow with a lot of music in your library, but now I find it very easy to use, even from a small phone screen.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

The Pi is just a relatively small, cheap computer that you can use as a source. When combined with software from one of several free software projects it can be used for streaming music from local storage (USB, microSD), local network (NAS or network share from PC) or from various internet sources. The details vary, partly depending on which software you pick, and partly whether you decide to attach a display to the Pi. You can use it with a USB DAC, or one of the various 'hat' DACs or coax/toslink digital outputs that are built to attach directly to the Pi. There are a lot of options - this can be a blessing (you can probably make something that does exactly what you want, but may need to put in some time and effort) or a curse (just too confusing, don't know where to start!). Most of the software options have installation guides to get you up and running relatively easily.

piCorePlayer uses LogitechMediaServer (LMS) which has plugins to stream from YouTube and SoundCloud among others. I haven't used either of those plugins myself, but the other plugins I have used work well. I don't know which of the other software options support those, but you should be able to find out on their web sites. The other usual options are Volumio, moOde or Rune but there are more. I would suggest trying more than one to see which suits you best. You can control them using a phone or tablet, either using an app or a web browser for the GUI. There are other options like adding the Pi 7" touchscreen, or connecting the HDMI output to your TV and using an infrared remote.

As a bare minimum you need a Pi, a microSD card and a power supply, although a case of some sort is highly recommended! Which Pi doesn't matter too much - most of the software options are even capable of running on a Pi Zero W, although perhaps with reduced capabilities - but a 2GB Pi 4 is probably a good starting point. You don't need to worry about heatsinks - audio isn't a demanding load and it will run fine without. There are starter kits that include the Pi, psu, case and microSD card. You will also need a computer (PC or Mac) to download the software and write it to the microSD.

Oldasdrt

Air pad 2,
Great screen,
Fast
Lightweight
Inexpensive now
Great audio
10 in screen

Last edited:
OP
M

Megaken

The Pi is just a relatively small, cheap computer that you can use as a source. When combined with software from one of several free software projects it can be used for streaming music from local storage (USB, microSD), local network (NAS or network share from PC) or from various internet sources. The details vary, partly depending on which software you pick, and partly whether you decide to attach a display to the Pi. You can use it with a USB DAC, or one of the various 'hat' DACs or coax/toslink digital outputs that are built to attach directly to the Pi. There are a lot of options - this can be a blessing (you can probably make something that does exactly what you want, but may need to put in some time and effort) or a curse (just too confusing, don't know where to start!). Most of the software options have installation guides to get you up and running relatively easily.

piCorePlayer uses LogitechMediaServer (LMS) which has plugins to stream from YouTube and SoundCloud among others. I haven't used either of those plugins myself, but the other plugins I have used work well. I don't know which of the other software options support those, but you should be able to find out on their web sites. The other usual options are Volumio, moOde or Rune but there are more. I would suggest trying more than one to see which suits you best. You can control them using a phone or tablet, either using an app or a web browser for the GUI. There are other options like adding the Pi 7" touchscreen, or connecting the HDMI output to your TV and using an infrared remote.

As a bare minimum you need a Pi, a microSD card and a power supply, although a case of some sort is highly recommended! Which Pi doesn't matter too much - most of the software options are even capable of running on a Pi Zero W, although perhaps with reduced capabilities - but a 2GB Pi 4 is probably a good starting point. You don't need to worry about heatsinks - audio isn't a demanding load and it will run fine without. There are starter kits that include the Pi, psu, case and microSD card. You will also need a computer (PC or Mac) to download the software and write it to the microSD.

Perfect. Just ordered.
If I'm getting the "official" 7" touch screen, do I need the standard case? Or is it a different case for screen + base unit?

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 12.14.27 PM.png

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Perfect. Just ordered.
If I'm getting the "official" 7" touch screen, do I need the standard case? Or is it a different case for screen + base unit?
I think all the ones I've seen are a different case, usually with the Pi mounted on the back of the screen more or less like this one:
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-official-7-touchscreen-case
Search the net for pi touchscreen case and you'll find a load of variations on this style, or a similar style made from laser cut acrylic and/or ply if that's more to your taste. This is probably the easiest and cheapest option, and the one with most instructions:
https://docs.picoreplayer.org/projects/build-with-smartipi/
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/03/howto-building-and-installing-raspberry.html
Audiophonics do the RaspTOUCH which is a bit different but I don't think you can get it without a DAC:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-rasptouch-c-6350.html
Or if you'd like something different you can make your own - put the screen in the front of a relatively conventional hifi case like the ones from modushop, or go full diy with some wood and/or metal work.

Top Bottom