• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

T+A DAC 8 Balanced DAC Review

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of the time the DAC only outputs 2 or 4 volts and there is no volume control. As such, measuring at different output levels doesn't make sense. In cases where the output goes above nominal, then yes, it is useful and I will continue to measure it.
That's great to test when 0dBFS output is above 4V rms (or 2Vrms for unbalanced).
But, in fact, I think it does make sense even if the 0dBFS output level is 4V or less.
Who is using a DAC at full level?
How is the THD vs Noise at different levels?
At least, down to a level where noise becomes predominant.
That may vary a lot from DAC to DAC.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a case where "context" is important!

6sUzGMA.png

Anyone who gets this wins a no-prize...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the point of reviewing this since it's way overpriced and 5+ years old?

Context - history and a wide spectrum of old and new, budget and expensive, audio component, helps to create a matrix that allows us to understand where any DAC fits into the scheme of things. It also helps to identify high-end audio that can be a relative bargain for those who like to buy expensive used audio gear that would otherwise be unaffordable for them - and to avoid the instant depreciation that comes with buying expensive new gear.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to get at least one sample tested from every audio company. Gives us some clue versus no data at all as to their engineering skills.
Makes sense! :)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am. If you have a pre-amp after it, that is how you use it.
OK. Fair enough.
But is that the most widely spread use case ?
Aren't most people driving their amp directly from the DAC and using digital level control (with remote) ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK. Fair enough.
But is that the most widely spread use case ?
Aren't most people driving their amp directly from the DAC and using digital level control (with remote) ?
DACs with volume control are a new thing. Most don't have a volume control and some that do, don't have remotes. RME ADI-2 was this way until the latest version.

I have an analog source so have no choice but to use a pre-amp.

Anyway, if you all feel strong about this, and can compensate me at the rate of $1000/hour, I will add it to my DAC tests. :)

F1308

Major Contributor
I am. If you have a pre-amp after it, that is how you use it.

Thank you very much....I always said volume should be set at maximum at the origin and controlled to your required level at the very last point...or the last but one if you are using something like TC Electronic Level Pilot.

audioBliss

Hopefully people have the means to keep on sending in AVRs, multichannel amps and PA amps(used for subs) because there are a lot of people interested in those measurements.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am happy to read reviews of 'old' products, since it gives us an historical context that we can use in order to judge current product. That said..., as far as buying something like this used? There is really nothing less interesting than a high-end DAC from years past. Except maybe a high-end FM tuner. If you have one enjoy it--keep it as long as you can in order to amortize it out. Then if you have to, move on to something a whole lot better and probably a whole lot cheaper. That's about it.

YSC

Major Contributor
It’s actually nice performance, sky high price at least buy you SOTA performance at that era and not some kidney costing junk

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything I have: RTR's, cassette deck's, DAT, DAC's, TT's, FM, ARCHIVE GRADE CD-R recorder & more, goes into one of my 2 Pre-Amps (which each have a processor loop [for room EQ or recording) which then go to my pair of main amps (running as mono blocks & a sub (80 Hz) amp running in stereo. One of my DAC's does have a volume control but I have never used it that way. From what I have seen, more older people run their DAC through a Pre-AMP. There are younger folks or people who have not acquired as many formats (and likely don't want to) that run direct (keeping things simple, sometimes I wish that I could simplify, also). Due to living with multiple generations, I have a need to accommodate records from the 1920's to computer's.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Restorer John_ It's the same in the Southern U.S.A. (James Island, South Carolina). But I had some trouble in Freemantle/Perth with what y'all called mosquitoes. I did not know what y'all where talking about when I was told that "the mossies (spelling) where really bad this year". Yes, I had to ask. Here we call them "skeeters". There were other things that apparently y'all do to the first syllable of a word something similar to what we do to the last syllable to shorten it. I guess we're all a little lazy & want to shorten the words but we just do it differently. Colloquialisms make it interesting.

Tks

Major Contributor
Hopefully people have the means to keep on sending in AVRs, multichannel amps and PA amps(used for subs) because there are a lot of people interested in those measurements.
Hopefully Amir’s back doesn’t give out, or the stairs magically lessen.

Top Bottom