• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System Upgrade Advice

OP
duppy_conqueror
Update...

Because of my large room, two dealers immediately recommended floorstanders. So I've heard...

Larsen 4.2
Wharfedale Lintons
Vienna Bachs
Epos Epic 5s
Monitor Audio Bronze 200s

I really liked the MA Bronzes the first time I heard them. Listened to a blues track the owner picked, then Kind of Blue, and Dark Side of the Moon.
Then I brought my stuff (the dealer only does CDs, LPs, and has a USB plugin on a Marantz which doesn't do Android) with the intention that I was walking home with speakers that day. Harry Connick Red Light Blue Light sounded great, but all of my old recordings...Kleiber Beethoven, Karajan Aida, even the ET soundtrack, did not sound good at all. So those are a no.

Then, yesterday, I went to a dealer who assured me that a Sub plus stand mounts, with my budget (1-1.5K), would be fine for my great room (5000 cubic ft). Another dealer told me, "you're just not going to fill that space in your budget"....fine.

Anyway, I heard:
Sonus Faber Concertos (used and in my price range)
GoldenEars
KEF LS50 Meta

Loved the Metas...hated the rest. This track sounded absolutely incredible without a sub on the metas:
. The upright bass was right in front of me and I could hear the darn strings rattle.

The only thing with the Metas is that they are a bit weak in the mid range. When I go back, I'm going to hit the hell out of them with mid-range tracks. I have every confidence that they'll do fine in detail. But that heft in the mid-range, we'll see. I know there will have to be a sub, and they played the KEF one paired with the Metas, but I wanted more. More in the basses and celli. Is that worth the compromise for something else?

Give Shosty 10 the weight it deserves: https://music.youtube.com/search?q=shostakovich+10+karajan
Bring it on the cello in Beethoven String Quartet #14: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mBlIQ1aiBifvw2xsmxso4QDVxRWx7mrTM

Hawethorne has a pair of used Polks I want to hear, and they do KEF and Rel, so I may look at a pairing there.

Anything to add? Holes? What subs would you look at for the Metas and, given their $1.5K price range, what would your range for subs be? Anything unreasonable?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I wait to be convinced that bookshelf speakers are going to fill that space.
Make sure you hear the Wharfedale Evos. They are totally different to the Lintons and may well suit your needs. I'd also suggest that when you audition, you really need to audition with a proposed sub, and make sure you understand the amp and settings used at the audition.

I guess looking harder at used speakers may also be a way forward for you...

Last edited:
Top Bottom