• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System suggestion

TheInstaller

Hi ASR,

This is my first time posting so i might have put this thread in the wrong forum, if that is the case i apologize in advance.

My system consists of a Marantz sr4320 integrated amplifier and two JBL E90 floorstanders, connected to a Raspberry PI with a hifiberry dac. I think I purchased it in 2007 for about 1000€ (the raspberry pi is a later addition). Running Roon on a synology nas in a different room. I've been meaning to upgrade for a few years but have been putting it off, but we changed out some furniture in our living room and now I can no longer fit the amp in the media cupboard:facepalm:

I think I would prefer standmounted speakers and have been eyeing the KEF R3 among some other. Wife prefers floorstanders but accepts whatever sounds better than what we have today. We live in an apartment so we usually dont listen very loud, but I want to be able to crank it on occasion. We listen to all kinds of music and both of us likes sennheiser headphones so I guess we prefer a neutral sound? I dabble a bit with music production so if I could use this main system to double check my mixes to see how they translate that would be great. Will likely connect it to the TV but music is priority one. I plan to get a measurement mic and do room correction in roon.

This is our living room, red circles is approximately where the speakers will stand. I know its not optimal but theres no other good way to furniture the room and still use it the way we want.
1640246778980.png

So I need new speakers, a power amp (class D would be good I guess) unless going with active, and a better dac.
Budget between 2500-3500€, lower is better :)

Currently I'm considering Kef R3, behringer a800 and topping e30 but I have been looking at genelecs, Elac debut reference, everything in my pricerange from focal... so pretty open to suggestions.

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately and I'm pretty confused. Dont really trust my ears so going out to audition stuff will probably just make me buy something less than stellar, so I'm would appreciate advice or confirmation that what I'm considering is good or if I can do better for my budget. I live i sweden so can order from any EU country.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi ASR,

This is my first time posting so i might have put this thread in the wrong forum, if that is the case i apologize in advance.

My system consists of a Marantz sr4320 integrated amplifier and two JBL E90 floorstanders, connected to a Raspberry PI with a hifiberry dac. I think I purchased it in 2007 for about 1000€ (the raspberry pi is a later addition). Running Roon on a synology nas in a different room. I've been meaning to upgrade for a few years but have been putting it off, but we changed out some furniture in our living room and now I can no longer fit the amp in the media cupboard:facepalm:

I think I would prefer standmounted speakers and have been eyeing the KEF R3 among some other. Wife prefers floorstanders but accepts whatever sounds better than what we have today. We live in an apartment so we usually dont listen very loud, but I want to be able to crank it on occasion. We listen to all kinds of music and both of us likes sennheiser headphones so I guess we prefer a neutral sound? I dabble a bit with music production so if I could use this main system to double check my mixes to see how they translate that would be great. Will likely connect it to the TV but music is priority one. I plan to get a measurement mic and do room correction in roon.

This is our living room, red circles is approximately where the speakers will stand. I know its not optimal but theres no other good way to furniture the room and still use it the way we want.
View attachment 174186

So I need new speakers, a power amp (class D would be good I guess) unless going with active, and a better dac.
Budget between 2500-3500€, lower is better :)

Currently I'm considering Kef R3, behringer a800 and topping e30 but I have been looking at genelecs, Elac debut reference, everything in my pricerange from focal... so pretty open to suggestions.

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately and I'm pretty confused. Dont really trust my ears so going out to audition stuff will probably just make me buy something less than stellar, so I'm would appreciate advice or confirmation that what I'm considering is good or if I can do better for my budget. I live i sweden so can order from any EU country.
I am now a Genelec fans and would say if you can afford, get a pair of the 8340 and a 7360 would do good with GLM aid. or you can also try the KEF LS50 wireless II and pair it with a subwoofer, the internal dac could actually solve a lot of the space issue with the coaxial design making the sweetspot larger

Reactions: CMB
OP
T

TheInstaller

I am now a Genelec fans and would say if you can afford, get a pair of the 8340 and a 7360 would do good with GLM aid. or you can also try the KEF LS50 wireless II and pair it with a subwoofer, the internal dac could actually solve a lot of the space issue with the coaxial design making the sweetspot larger

Thanks for the suggestion!
I dont doubt that the genelecs w. sub would sound amazing, but thats way over budget, 5200€ is what I can find them for with stands and the GLM package.

KEF LS50 WII with stands and an SVS SB-1000 Pro is also over budget but not as much. (<4000€) I really like the look of those KEF's. Would it be enough with one subwoofer? I've never integrated subs before but could give it a try.

YSC

Major Contributor
I dont doubt that the genelecs w. sub would sound amazing, but thats way over budget, 5200€ is what I can find them for with stands and the GLM package.

KEF LS50 WII with stands and an SVS SB-1000 Pro is also over budget but not as much. (<4000€) I really like the look of those KEF's. Would it be enough with one subwoofer? I've never integrated subs before but could give it a try.
I think the 8340 should be within budget in Thomann? The ones will be way over budget but the 8340should be fine

YSC

Major Contributor

And for the subs I think in your room size it could be fine but not able to tackle all room modes. If you get rew to measure and fix the phase and bass level it should be fine.

Also if you’re not intended to use dsp then the basic genelec 8040+sun could do very well with the dip switches also

Holmz

Major Contributor
What style of speakers work well against a wall?
(I suspect that it would not be ones with rear ports?)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What style of speakers work well against a wall?
(I suspect that it would not be ones with rear ports?)
Port position doesn't really matter as long as you keep a couple of inches distance of the port to the wall as the bass radiates in those frequencies omnidirectionally. If you cannot use EQ you are looking though for loudspeakers with reduced anechoic bass response, sometimes closing the ports can also be helpful.

Top Bottom