• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

System for music and TV in office < $4300

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Right now I have a 10 year old JL Audio F113 sub, Anthem MRX 520 (with ARC, 100 watts per channel), and 2 KEF Q300 speakers (87 dB, 6 ohm, max output 110 dB according to KEF). Office is 20 x 16 with 10' ceiling (vaulted ranging from 9-11'). This system is plenty loud enough for me. I am guessing that something that can play 90 dB should be fine, so I am looking at smaller, high quality speakers.

I also have an RME ADI-2 DAC that I am not using (was using for headphones which I don't use anymore). I could use this or a miniDSP Flex for digital volume and room correction, as needed depending on the final choice.

My plan is to get rid of all of this and get something new. The budget has to include everything (amp, preamp, speakers, subs). Speakers must come in a dark matte finish (rules out most Revel and all of the KEF R series). Must be reasonably power efficient at idle (rules out Neumann generally).

Choice 1: Genelec 8330 + 2x Genelec 8350 subs (I have GLM already). $4300 (no discounts). Includes room correction. Has raw finish (which I like).

Choice 2: KEF Wireless II + 1-2 subs TBD (e.g., SVS, Rythmik, etc). $3700 assuming $2500 for speakers and $1200 for sub(s). Would need room correction somehow. Readily available.

Choice 3 was to get the Ascend LX, an amp and subs, but the LX finish options won't work (i.e., only black is high gloss black). Similar issues with the KEF R3 and the BMR. But maybe there is another option I am not thinking about.

Appreciate any suggestions, or experiences using the Genelec or KEF speakers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your available budget may end up much higher when you sell the existing components.

alex-z

Are the speakers being active a requirement?

IMO, the LS50 Meta in Carbon Black look amazing. Pair those with a miniDSP Flex, and either VTV Hypex NC252 or Buckeye NC252 amplifier.

For subs, I would probably go with a pair of SVS SB-1000 Pro for $1150. Unless you don't mind the larger size of the PB-1000 Pro.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Are the speakers being active a requirement?

IMO, the LS50 Meta in Carbon Black look amazing. Pair those with a miniDSP Flex, and either VTV Hypex NC252 or Buckeye NC252 amplifier.

For subs, I would probably go with a pair of SVS SB-1000 Pro for $1150. Unless you don't mind the larger size of the PB-1000 Pro.
Active is not a requirement. I just thought that the all-in-one solution would be cleaner looking. But your suggestion is a good one and applies to any passive. I think they use a DSP crossover in the active version of the KEF LS50 meta, but it hasn't been tested yet. My assumption was that it would be as good as, or better than the LS50 meta.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Love option 1. Would you be willing to forego one of the two (expensive) subs in order to upsize the front LR?

P.S. I lived in Calabasas briefly in 1998-1999 and loved it. Dying to get back to CA and out of NYC!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Active is not a requirement. I just thought that the all-in-one solution would be cleaner looking. But your suggestion is a good one and applies to any passive. I think they use a DSP crossover in the active version of the KEF LS50 meta, but it hasn't been tested yet. My assumption was that it would be as good as, or better than the LS50 meta.

I'd say it's pretty much the same except the on-axis has been improved(the low bass and midrange match up much better now).

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Love option 1. Would you be willing to forego one of the two (expensive) subs in order to upsize the front LR?

P.S. I lived in Calabasas briefly in 1998-1999 and loved it. Dying to get back to CA and out of NYC!
I actually started the process planning to get the 8340 and thought that I could get away without a sub (about $3400). Or maybe get a single sub to fill in a bit. The 8350 is over budget.

I talked to my Genelec dealer and he has the 8330 in stock which is what made me think about that option. I was also thinking that if the 8330 are loud enough, then having more bottom end might be better. With GLM, I can essentially make them into 3-way speakers. But they will still be more volume limited than the 8340.

(Except for the fire risk, I love Calabasas too.)

Top Bottom