• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Synergistic Research apparently at "war" against Gene from Audioholics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe someone at audiogon also pulled out a quote somewhere from the SR web site stating that SR uses blind testing, in-house, in testing/selecting components.

PipHelix

I believe someone at audiogon also pulled out a quote somewhere from the SR web site stating that SR uses blind testing, in-house, in testing/selecting components.

I guess blind testing is how they conceived of and “voiced” their UEF Record Weight? A “voiced” record weight????????:oops:

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/turntable/uef-record-weight/

If you insert a piece of blue anodized metal in the top of it “you experience more air and detail with a cooler and in some recordings, a more dramatic holographic soundstage. This is perfect for listening to artists like Roger Waters or electronic music with dramatic phase effects.”

However, if you use the red piece of anodized metal “you experience rich tonal warmth and greater liquidity with a smoother presentation. This is perfect for vocal recordings like Frank Sinatra and Diana Krall or anytime you want greater warmth and musicality.”

Are we sure Synergistic Research isn’t just a parody of other “audiophile” companies? Does it really sell products?

Their stuff is actually comical.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
So this isn't illegal to claim something that isn't scientifically proven?

I can cure Covid! Illegal.
I can change quantum physics of a piece of copper with a Tesla coil from eBay! Legal.

Plenty of illegal things happen with zero enforcement. Even if their claims danced into the realm of the disprovable it would be a long shot to think that a government enforcement agency would bat an eye at such a tiny market with so many happy customers. As these companies continue to grow and multiply they may get on someone’s radar but not yet.

rcstevensonaz

... I'm starting wonder if organized crime is possibly involved in some of the audiophile snake oil products. ...

That was actually my first thought when I came across some of the earlier posts for power cables running $15K+ per meter. Easy to setup a shop primarily for moving ("laundering") money... both domestic and international. And if a few real customers order a cable along the way, so much the better.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just read this whole thread. My reactions, summed. . .

:facepalm:

Last edited:

PipHelix

That was actually my first thought when I came across some of the earlier posts for power cables running $15K+ per meter. Easy to setup a shop primarily for moving ("laundering") money... both domestic and international. And if a few real customers order a cable along the way, so much the better.

Well, that would certainly explain why no disgruntled employees have ever gotten on any forums to say “My former employer, Snake Oil Inc., is a fraud.” That’s a missing link in all of these snake oil discussions....someone who used to work somewhere affirming all of our suspicions.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are we to believe that those who work at the Synergistic Research factory spend time listening to giant spools of wire to find out whether the cable “sounds better” running right to left or left to right? How the hell are audio cables directional? How is this guy still in business?
I tell you: he assembles some of the best sounding systems at shows with extremely well recorded content. He then choregraphs a half hour show where he cleverly shows before/after demos. He takes polls and just about everyone raises their hands that they heard a positive difference. I have had people chase me telling me how much they think his stuff makes a difference that I need to try them. This, without me knowing them!

It is an incredibly well done magic show and works its well, magic, at every show. :) Even I "hear' the improvement when I sit there. Fortunately I know better and only go to his room to collect playlist of good recordings. There is no hope for anyone else sitting there thinking this stuff is not real.

gene_stl

Forum Donor

rcstevensonaz

Perhaps he needs to be reported to Financial Crimes Enforcement for possible compliance investigation and observation.
Just to be clear: I am not implying anything about his company, Nordost, VooDoo Cable, etc. However, other than artwork (and now NFTs), I'm not aware of many other products where $100 of raw materials cost can so easily be turned into a $100K+ sale.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I tell you: he assembles some of the best sounding systems at shows with extremely well recorded content. He then choregraphs a half hour show where he cleverly shows before/after demos. He takes polls and just about everyone raises their hands that they heard a positive difference. I have had people chase me telling me how much they think his stuff makes a difference that I need to try them. This, without me knowing them!

It is an incredibly well done magic show and works its well, magic, at every show. :) Even I "hear' the improvement when I sit there. Fortunately I know better and only go to his room to collect playlist of good recordings. There is no hope for anyone else sitting there thinking this stuff is not real.
I wonder if he believes it too or is knowingly deceiving people .

You could see a scenario where all this mutual affirmation as per your description could lead to extremely strong edifice.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Plenty of illegal things happen with zero enforcement. Even if their claims danced into the realm of the disprovable it would be a long shot to think that a government enforcement agency would bat an eye at such a tiny market with so many happy customers. As these companies continue to grow and multiply they may get on someone’s radar but not yet.
Sadly, even in a court of law, could you imagine trying to prove none of what Synergistic says is true? You and I would be like “Let’s setup a blind test.” Whereby Synergistic lawyers would demand the court rent out Carnegie Hall, supply the best equipment, make sure the cables sit untouched for 30 days (with security no-less to ensure those cables aren’t touched), no one else can be in the listening room while tests are conducted and each person should have a week to acclimate themselves to the system, so put them up in a 5 star hotel to eliminate any stress. Then, when the $millions are spent to prove none of their products work any better than zip cord, the jury will hear closing testimony “50% of the users preferred our product to zip cord.” So now bring in the statistician expert testimony where they’ll get at least one to say “Picking correctly 50% of the time is not statistically valid. The results are inconclusive.”

“Thank you”, the defense would say, “So inconclusive means you’re not 100% positive they can’t hear a difference.”

This is the beauty of high end cables. The late great James Randi had a $1 million offer on the table for almost 20 years to anyone who could hear a difference between cables, and died never giving that money away. Michael Fremer lined up to prove Pear cables were better, but Pear refused to send any cables and for some reason Fremer wasn’t willing to take the test with his own set. Probably his set weren’t revealing enough.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See previous post.
"Turn to face the strain..."

super-colon-blow-cereal-xl.jpg

David Harper

I once sat in the audience at a magic show in which I swear to God I saw a woman disappear. So did everyone else. It made me question everything I think I know. Did she disappear? I don't think so. But that's what I saw. He stuffed her into a box that was approx. 3ftx3ftx3ft. The box was on top of a small table with nothing around it but air. He rotated it 360 degrees, opened it up again, and she was gone. After the show I actually went looking for the magician. I was determined to find out how he did it but he was gone. The magic show was on a beach. By the time I returned there was nothing on the beach but sand. Not only can you not believe your ears , but sometimes you can't believe your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom