• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Switching from hybrid to streaming-only

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am currently in the transition of stop buying c.d.s and stream via Qobuz.But it's a bumpy ride because i like the c.d.s very much.
But on the other hand streaming has it's qualities.i am satisfied with qobuz and it's quality.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I looked at something like that too. I'm a bit reluctant though, as (streaming) software tends to change at a much higher pace than the audio 'basics' (amp, DAC).
Then use a Win/Mac/Linux box and software to avoid being constrained by dedicated streamers.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Curious to hear what you did.
I have been 99% streaming-only for well over a decade. I haven't had my vinyl record player set up for 20 years and no cd player for at least five years. I do however have an Oppo bluray player that can play cds in a pinch (I never do). I still have all my 1000+ LPs and 2000+ cds though, but that's mostly because I can't be bothered to take them to nearest place that will buy them which is 20 km away. While I do have all my cds ripped to flac on my NAS I find I mostly use Spotify for convenience, except for the handful of albums not available on Spotify. I still buy blurays because none of streaming services have the sort of content I want to watch.

TV and main hifi rig (stereo only) is Apple-tv 4k, Vero4k (kodi) and Oppo > HDfury Diva (for ambient lighting, hdmi audio extraction etc.) > NAD C658 > DIY Passlabs analog crossover > DIY 4 channel Hypex amp > DIY LXmini speakers / DIY subwoofer

Headphone rig is Raspberry Pi4 with Moode > Topping E30/L30 > Various headphones.

There is much redundancy in this setup. I can stream both audio and video from my NAS or the interwebs with the Vero4k and Apple-tv. I can stream audio from NAS (or webradio) with BluOS on the NAD or Moode on the Pi. Vero4k, Apple-tv, BluOS and Moode can all do Spotify connect and Airplay from any computer on the network. And it all sounds great!

LuvTheMusic

Humorous note: one other reason for moving away from LPs (and to some extent CDs) was that the devices to play them are primarily mechanical and, for LPs, quite delicate. In my case, my decision was hastened by our inquisitive cat, even though the turntable was placed where she could not get to it....I thought. The rest ofthe story is left to your imagination.

Larry B. Larabee

Interestingly, I hardly read these anymore. Most of the times I don't even look at the track titles.

I looked at something like that too. I'm a bit reluctant though, as (streaming) software tends to change at a much higher pace than the audio 'basics' (amp, DAC).
Did you change over, burn your collection, not do it? If you did, what percentage of your collection of 2000 cds do you suppose you listen to even occasionally?

OP
V

vco1

Did you change over, burn your collection, not do it? If you did, what percentage of your collection of 2000 cds do you suppose you listen to even occasionally?
I did. Still in the process of ripping my cd collection. Which is going slowly, at an average rate of 5-10 titles a day. I'm now at around 20%. And while my ripping 'strategy' initially was to do it on an as-needed basis, eventually I just started at the 'A' and work my way til the end.

The funny thing is that because of the ripping I'm rediscovering some nice music from my collection. Music I haven't listened to in ages.

Most music I'm listening to is, and will be, relatively new though. There's so much music being released that I want to listen to, that there's hardly any time left to dig out the old stuff.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom