• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Switch to a THX AAA 888 headphone amp?

mermayer

Can I expect sound improvements when i switch from Jan Meiers Corda Cantate.2 to a new THX AAA 888 amp?
The headphone is a beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm.

Thanks.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would expect the Meier to sound better due to the crossfeed.

If you're not using that I would not expect them to sound different. The Meier won't measure as cleanly, but that's not really an audible difference. The THX would have more power too, but that's unlikely to make a difference with 880/250's

OP
mermayer

mermayer

I would expect the Meier to sound better due to the crossfeed.

If you're not using that I would not expect them to sound different. The Meier won't measure as cleanly, but that's not really an audible difference. The THX would have more power too, but that's unlikely to make a difference with 880/250's

I did it, for now and for the future, and ordered a RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
That is the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" with DAC, DSP, equalizer and, very important, adjustable crossfeed + more power (the Cantate output power is only 64 mW on 250 Ohm).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did it, for now and for the future, and ordered a RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
That is the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" with DAC, DSP, equalizer and, very important, adjustable crossfeed + more power (the Cantate output power is only 64 mW on 250 Ohm).

Great choice. The ADI-2 DAC is excellent. I love mine.

I would have mentioned it but it's in a much different price class than most of the THX AAA amps.

OP
mermayer

mermayer

I would have mentioned it but it's in a much different price class than most of the THX AAA amps.

That is probably true. But the number of amplifiers with the wonderful crossfeed option is small and all of them are not very cheap. And the best with the most options is the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (966 Euro at this time).

Top Bottom