• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sweet spot for HT speak configurations?

radix

Major Contributor
Hello all,

I'm going to be revamping my HT setup. It's 5.1 right now on a 7.2 receiver (yamaha a760). I'm open to getting a new receiver. I'm leaning towards a Denon 4700 or 6700. This is in a dedicated HT room, so stereo listening is lower priority.

What do you think is the sweet spot for HT speaker configuration? Where do diminishing returns really kick in?

I was thinking of starting out with 5.2.2, using 2 front height speakers (not atmos bouncers) and a front and read/side sub.

My room can accommodate up to 7.2.4 (1 front sub, 1 side or rear sub, front + rear heights). I don't want to cut holes for ceiling speakers.

Thanks,
Marc

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
10.2 systems is the sweet spot. This is also what the creator of Auro 3d suggests.
5 ear level speakers (0 degree elevation from listening position), 5 height level speakers (30 degree elevation from listening position), at least 2 subs.

Auro 3d configuration even if you plan on using atmos.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
10.2 systems is the sweet spot. This is also what the creator of Auro 3d suggests.
5 ear level speakers (0 degree elevation from listening position), 5 height level speakers (30 degree elevation from listening position), at least 2 subs.

Auro 3d configuration even if you plan on using atmos.

Thanks for the advice. I found this Auro 3d pdf that shows the various configs.

So in the 10.2, you are using front + rear heights, then a top?

Marc

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only with 2+ subs.
1636150477335.png

1636150525985.png

Dal1as

What size room and seating setup? For strictly home theater I would say a 5.2.2 or 7.2.4 or even a 7.4.4 setup depending on size or use. The .4 layer can be a quasi height/atmos layer. Auro is nice but needs the voice of God speaker directly over head. Also not sure how it process atmos movies and such.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
What size room and seating setup? For strictly home theater I would say a 5.2.2 or 7.2.4 or even a 7.4.4 setup depending on size or use. The .4 layer can be a quasi height/atmos layer. Auro is nice but needs the voice of God speaker directly over head. Also not sure how it process atmos movies and such.

The room is 3.4m wide, 5.4m long, and 2.5m tall. A single row seating area is about 3.6m from the front. The front and rear walls are about 1.5m tall then go at a 40* angle for the last 1m of elevation (it's in the 2nd floor of an old victorian house... well, old for California at 1888). I was planning on mounting the height speakers directly on the 40* slope (I could shim them a little to closer to 30*). I don't think atmos bounce-type speakers would work well with those slopes.

I do not know if I'll have any Auro 3d content, or if a Denon 4700/6700 could translate other 3d audio to auro.

I'm leaning towards 5.2.2 to start and maybe go to 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 then maybe to 7.2.4.

I'd prefer to avoid the center-top speaker for now, if I can, as that involves more crawling through attics than I care for.

Mac

Dal1as

The room is 3.4m wide, 5.4m long, and 2.5m tall. A single row seating area is about 3.6m from the front. The front and rear walls are about 1.5m tall then go at a 40* angle for the last 1m of elevation (it's in the 2nd floor of an old victorian house... well, old for California at 1888). I was planning on mounting the height speakers directly on the 40* slope (I could shim them a little to closer to 30*). I don't think atmos bounce-type speakers would work well with those slopes.

I do not know if I'll have any Auro 3d content, or if a Denon 4700/6700 could translate other 3d audio to auro.

I'm leaning towards 5.2.2 to start and maybe go to 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 then maybe to 7.2.4.

I'd prefer to avoid the center-top speaker for now, if I can, as that involves more crawling through attics than I care for.

Mac

Sounds like a good plan. A 7.2.4 system is doable in that amount of space. Just research how you are going to do your height/atmos level. A lot of ways and discussion on this. Even a well setup 5.2.4 in that area would work well.

Top Bottom