• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sweden on fire - but there's hope

D

Deleted member 65

Not really a fun topic but a hopeful one I believe.

Sweden is on fire, between 50-80 forest fires are raging right now across the country. This is by far the largest forest fires Sweden has ever been hit by and declared a national disaster.

Sweden has reached out for help, and here's where I have hope for mankind. The support from neighboring countries has been tremendous.

- Italy has sent two Catalina fire fighter airplanes (Canadair CL-415).
- France has sent two Cataline fire fighter airplanes (Canadair CL-415).
- Norway has sent eight fire fighting helicopters.
- Denmark has sent twentytwo firefighters.
- Lithuania has sent a fire fighting helicopter.
- Poland is sending two fire fighting forces, each consisting of 65 firemen and 20 vehicles.
- Germany is sending 5 fire fighting helicopters.

1532105189721.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Just heard about this -- given the number of fires in CO (and the rest of the country) I was keeping an eye on "wildfire" topics. One article I read said Sweden (and the other countries around, Finland, Denmark) have been very dry and have had a heat spell the last week or so that has helped touch off a number of fires.

In the USA, InciWeb is a decent resource though does not catch many of the smaller fires: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

Really feel for Sweden... Someone asked me for some notes this week and I realized they are still in some box packed up for evac a few years ago that I have not unpacked yet. Given the summers we've been slow to unpack things in case we have to load it up again.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From California: We feels for you. In the summer it can look like the sky in the movie Soylent Green.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 65

Polish firefighting convoy has arrived in Sweden, 44 vehicles & 139 firefighters:

1532245173813.png

This summer has been the hottest and driest since measurements started here 1720!

Sweden is now receiving additional help from EU countries thru EU Crisis Management (ERCC):

- France is sending a specially trained firefighting force w. equipment & 60 firefighters.

- Germany is sending 46 firefighters w. equipment.

- Denmark is sending 55 firefighters & 12 vehicles.

- EU is directing the camera from the Copernicus satellite system towards the fires in Sweden.

There's an ongoing dialogue with NATO (EADRCC) on assistance from NATO.

Next week is forecasted to be the warmest in history in Sweden!

OP
D

Deleted member 65

More fun!!!
Swedish Air Force fighter jets dropping precision bomb into core of one of the forest fires as a test. Outcome was a success, all oxygen within a 100m radius was consumed by the bomb and fire extinguished in that area.

NATO will engage shortly assisting Sweden.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Never heard of that tactic.

This fire is located in a military shooting field with lots of undetonated explosives/grenades aso so sending in firefighters is not an option, helicopters & low flying airplanes not an option as well, too risky!

Quite inventive to drop bombs I think since options are restricted.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's pretty cool, if a little scary... Bombing the rest of the country is probably not a viable option, I presume... ;) I do wonder about the risk of the shock wave sending embers about the edges flying to start new fires, and just pushing the edges faster away with wind bursts too weak to actually extinguish the fire but strong enough to cause torching and such.

We've had a bad year here, feel for y'all over there.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Greece is on fire, many are dead.. I’m not sure wha support is being sent their way.

I know Thomas, let me enlighten you.

The fires in Greece are tragic with many casualties, they are however quite small areawise compared to the ones in Sweden. Initial thoughts are that these fires are arsins by criminals in order to loot houses when people are fleeing, other theories exist. Fifteen fires on three locations started more or less at the same time, go figure ...

As to assistance, two Canadair planes has now left Sweden for Greece.

elberoth

I'm not sure how big the fires in Greece are, but the the death toll had risen to 85, which I think is significant.

Rod

I will grab my lawn chairs......

Rod

I will grab my binoculars......

Rod

To see if I can spot Slim Pickens......

Rod

While Dr. Strangelove plays on the tele......

Rod

With my headphones on listening to some death metal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom