• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

swapping a akm dac chip.

Cocoloco

Would it be possible to change the 2 AKM4493 for the newest AKM4499 in my DX3 pro ? without the darn thing going up in smoke...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My guess would be "No".

1561851459246.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
would it really make any difference?

Tks

Major Contributor
Man, I can't imagine what devices with that chip will cost at first...

Just out of curiosity I would love to see if a company like Okto, RME, Benchmark, or Matrix Audio come up with when squeezing everything this thing had to offer. (RME especially considering what they did to a 4490 over a year ago, what some companies can't do with 4493 and 4497 in the present day).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There is zero chance that it will work. None. Not possible. Even with pin remap. No possibility.

You would be better off design from ground up using 4499.

If you are experienced, swapping to 4497 using adaptation board + changing some values on the existing pcb is possible. But no still better off designing from ground up.

More importantly, you may very likely to degrade performance if you manage to do so, with 4497.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are running out of numbers. Wait for the 4500. It will be vastly superior, LOL.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Holy macaroni, 128 pins for the ak4499.vs 48. Thanks, RayDunzl I should have thought about it myself and check this out.... :facepalm: Kind of embarrassing o_O no wonder why the akm4499 cost $80 cdn dollars.

And even if they are pin compatible I can't imagine that you have necessary equipment to do that at home. Just try to imagine what would it take to desolder such chip..

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would it be possible to change the 2 AKM4493 for the newest AKM4499 in my DX3 pro?
This guy is, quite clearly, an optimist :p

But seriously, what DO all those extra pins do?

OP
Cocoloco

Cocoloco

And even if they are pin compatible I can't imagine that you have necessary equipment to do that at home. Just try to imagine what would it take to desolder such chip..
The idea came from this video :

Jimmy

RME reps have already said in their forums that they may consider AK4499 for future products, but the problem with these top of the range DACs is that they are difficult to implement, AK4499 is a current output device and probably good implementations won't come cheap.

The problem is that from a few generations ago DAC chips are already audibly transparent so yes, new features get added like support for new formats, but otherwise it's mostly marketing, it's like having a car fitted with a 6000cc v12 engine to drive in speed limited roads.

Man, I can't imagine what devices with that chip will cost at first...

Just out of curiosity I would love to see if a company like Okto, RME, Benchmark, or Matrix Audio come up with when squeezing everything this thing had to offer. (RME especially considering what they did to a 4490 over a year ago, what some companies can't do with 4493 and 4497 in the present day).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RME reps have already said in their forums that they may consider AK4499 for future products, but the problem with these top of the range DACs is that they are difficult to implement, AK4499 is a current output device and probably good implementations won't come cheap.

The problem is that from a few generations ago DAC chips are already audibly transparent so yes, new features get added like support for new formats, but otherwise it's mostly marketing, it's like having a car fitted with a 6000cc v12 engine to drive in speed limited roads.

It seems silly at times because not everyone can hear the difference between Redbook and 24/96 and it's up for debate which is better. So we have chips which can convert 768 PCM and 512 DSD for what, I don't know.

As for big motors, I have a 6.2L V8 in a car that is said to be able to hit 172 MPH. There's no chance I will ever go anywhere close to it, but I like the rumble and the acceleration is brilliant. There is no excess like wretched excess.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It seems silly at times because not everyone can hear the difference between Redbook and 24/96 and it's up for debate which is better. So we have chips which can convert 768 PCM and 512 DSD for what, I don't know.
RME charges a lot for their DAC so they have no choice but to have state-of-the-art measured performance and latest/greatest silicon.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RME charges a lot for their DAC so they have no choice but to have state-of-the-art measured performance and latest/greatest silicon.

That makes sense from a business standpoint. Their gear is feature rich which helps justify the price.

Tks

Major Contributor

To be fair, I wouldn't outright say they charge a lot for their DAC considering when it came out, and even to this day, it mops up every other DAC in terms of capabilities.

Also country of manufacture isn't cheap, etc..

If you take an objective feature-set comparison, I think you get most bang for your buck from them. Obviously the performance has been dethroned and such technically speaking. But in such a package, the only things approaching the same value is DAC's with wireless Bluetooth input, and perhaps Streamers built-in. The actual real-time OS they sort of have running with all the settings, and DSP makes all other DACs look like they came from the stone age, even though the RME is over a year old.

I said it a while back that - most DACs are now approaching audible transparency, and the future they will have to differentiate themselves between features, fit, and finish (on top of performing top class), things like DSP, and settings, and nice things like output switching when you plug a device in etc.. is what will be the thing to set DACs apart. Performance has reached near-parity ever since the DX3 Pro was released. Topping seems to be moving up the price bracket lately (evidenced by the DX70 as we can see), SMSL likewise with the D2 DAC.. and now Topping possibly again with (what I estimate) will be a ~$700 price tag on the DX7 Pro. The value proposition for an RME will still be there considering the night vs day marketing specsheet differences in terms of feature-set (and the RME being supported to this day with new software enhancing user experience).

You've seen this perhaps near the tail end of your time at microsoft. It's not about selling devices, more like services now. And the service RME sells is pretty up there when you're talking about wanting just a little bit more than performance (that "little bit more" other than performance, is paying for the software work it takes to implement creature comforts).

Top Bottom