• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Swan dive into the D class

chingaling

I've been scouring this forum for the past few days and want to take the leap into the D class. I've read through alot of information on the Hypex amp modules and have decided on the Buckeye line. It seems like everyone is pretty satisfied with the product build quality and the customer service. I was not sure at first about running mono blocks or a stereo setup and after more reviewing I think that there is probably no reason for the mono block version unless I want to spend more money just for the look and extra parts which makes no difference to me because they will be rack mounted.

One question I do have is the difference between the Purifi 1ET400A and the NC502MP. For what reasons would I buy one over the other? Are there any audible discernible differences between the two that I couldn't fix? I'll be using a Minidsp SHD for a preamp so I'll have access to Dirac and PEQ. One other question might be the swapping of opamps, I've read about 50/50 on I've heard no difference to there was a smoother high end with the Sparko's. Which was the only op amp I heard anyone mention a difference in sound.

I'm in the process of selling off some gear that I don't use anymore to fund the new gear updates. A couple of amps a preamp and possibly a pair of speakers. out with the old and in with the new.

I really want to put this Hypex amp up against my Mac 452 and see which will come out on top! Alot of people here sing the praises of these Hypex amps, I thought my Mac D100 preamp was the bees knees until I got the MiniDSP SHD. Oh yes! There is an audible difference and to me it wasn't a I think I hear something different but I can't really tell. It was a WTF that sounds way better? Guess which one I'm selling?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One question I do have is the difference between the Purifi 1ET400A and the NC502MP. For what reasons would I buy one over the other? Are there any audible discernible differences between the two that I couldn't fix?
The Purify has better low impedance drive. It is more true to Ohm's Law if that means anything to you. In the end if you have speakers with a difficult impedance then the Purify is the one you want. Otherwise the Hypex is very good and will drive most speakers but the Purify is the next step up for a increase in cost.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One other question might be the swapping of opamps, I've read about 50/50 on I've heard no difference to there was a smoother high end with the Sparko's. Which was the only op amp I heard anyone mention a difference in sound.
Swapping or rolling OP amps is generally a fruitless endeavor because OP amps are so accurate and good that for audio bandwidth the rolling of them results in no difference other than psychological stuff where the person rolling the OP amps imagines they hear something. In brief it's generally a waste of time energy and effort.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubtful the 2 ohm differences would make a lot of difference between Hypex and Purifi models.....let alone audible differences. I'd aim at Hypex unless you just want "better" or have really low impedance requirements.....

OP
C

chingaling

Doubtful the 2 ohm differences would make a lot of difference between Hypex and Purifi models.....let alone audible differences. I'd aim at Hypex unless you just want "better" or have really low impedance requirements.....
No, I don't. None of the pairs of speakers I have should operate below 4 Ohms.
I just want clean & transparent amplification with headroom.

OP
C

chingaling

I guess one other question I have is are these amps bridgeable? Say the NC502 4 Channel. Which would basically be two mono blocks in one chassis.
To me it seems like the best value would buy the 4 channel bridge it if you needed the extra power or use it as two monoblocks. Or use other two channels for another room. I was thinking of putting some speakers in my kitchen.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 502 produces quite a bit more power and a negligible increase in noise but below audible thresholds vs the Purifi.

kiwifi

The Purifi amps run cooler which may be a factor for rack mount. Very happy with my VTV amps despite some negative reviews on this site.

MAB

Major Contributor
Madisound has the NC400 on sale for $570 per channel..
It looks like they dropped the prices now that the Nilai500 is out.
I don't know exactly what you are looking for in power, but these would be a great pair of monoblocks if you are OK with balanced inputs.
nc400-specs.jpg

I have a pair and like them. At this price not too bad compared to a single stereo amp.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Swapping or rolling OP amps is generally a fruitless endeavor because OP amps are so accurate and good that for audio bandwidth the rolling of them results in no difference other than psychological stuff where the person rolling the OP amps imagines they hear something. In brief it's generally a waste of time energy and effort.
I'll add, unless you measure the result carefully, sometimes swapping can result in high frequency oscillations and other misbehavior.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend has used Hypex UcD amps in his active setup for years, including his horns. No listening fatigue, and I have never heard anything bad sounding come from them. I realize the UcD are now considered passé, but still.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt you would hear a difference between the MC452 and any hypex or purifi amp. The latter would be smaller and more efficient which are valid reasons for change or simply curiosity but sonic difference?

OP
C

chingaling

If I may ask, why do you feel the need to replace your Pioneer Elite SC05, what are you hoping the new amp(s) will get you that you do not already have?
I'm not going to sell the SC-05 it's strictly an AVR preamp and phono stage. I sold the McIntosh D100 preamp already yesterday because I don't use it anymore since I have the MiniDSP SHD which is hands down the better unit, one because it specs out higher than the mac, two digital and analog capability and three the software. The 7106 is for sale as well also because I don't use it anymore It's just and expensive weight on the bottom of my rack. Very nice unit. I enjoyed my time with it and I figured someone else can do the same.
Audio is just a hobby I'm not married to any of this stuff. The other point would be as I stated above, everybody sings the praises of these amps and I want to try them out. I want to put it against the best I own, the Mac 452 and see how good the Hypex units sound to me. The MiniDSP was better sounding than the D100 in my opinion maybe the Hypex is better than the 452? I won't know until I try them out.

OP
C

chingaling

I doubt you would hear a difference between the MC452 and any hypex or purifi amp. The latter would be smaller and more efficient which are valid reasons for change or simply curiosity but sonic difference?
Defiantly curiosity. Plus I mean your talking a HUGE price difference between the two. Literally thousands of dollars. If the sonic differences are close enough it would make you think long and hard about keeping the 452 vs selling and using the money for something else.

jsilvela

A friend has used Hypex UcD amps in his active setup for years, including his horns. No listening fatigue, and I have never heard anything bad sounding come from them. I realize the UcD are now considered passé, but still.
I am using a Channel Islands D100 mono-block for my desktop (mono setup).
It was based on a customized Hypex UcD180 module, that was back in 2009.
Fantastic sounding, but then I have never heard the MC's nor other such big names so I can't make comparisons.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Defiantly curiosity. Plus I mean your talking a HUGE price difference between the two. Literally thousands of dollars. If the sonic differences are close enough it would make you think long and hard about keeping the 452 vs selling and using the money for something else.
Definitely? Defiant curiousity sounds like an oxymoron :) Then again the whole thing about how amps "sound", meh.

OP
C

chingaling

Definitely? Defiant curiousity sounds like an oxymoron :) Then again the whole thing about how amps "sound", meh.
I think I understand your "sound" meh. Two amps I own particularly speaking of, Parasound HCA 1000 and the Mac 7106. Both similar in power output the HCA a few watts higher on paper, both THX approved. both from the 90's. When I A/B them they both sound incredibility similar. Yes there is a difference, in a blind test it's up to the end user which actually "sounds" better to their ears. I paid $1200 for the 7106 and $450 for 3 Parasound's. I honestly can't tell you which "sounds" better it's subjective to the end user, but I do know in 2023 I bet I can make them both sound almost identical with REW, DSP & PEQ on a computer. In 1998 not so much. The mac was $3500 new, three Parasounds would have set you back $1575 when purchased new. With today's technology I'll keep the Parasounds.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I understand your "sound" meh. Two amps I own particularly speaking of, Parasound HCA 1000 and the Mac 7106. Both similar in power output the HCA a few watts higher on paper, both THX approved. both from the 90's. When I A/B them they both sound incredibility similar. Yes there is a difference, in a blind test it's up to the end user which actually "sounds" better to their ears. I paid $1200 for the 7106 and $450 for 3 Parasound's. I honestly can't tell you which "sounds" better it's subjective to the end user, but I do know in 2023 I bet I can make them both sound almost identical with REW, DSP & PEQ on a computer. In 1998 not so much. The mac was $3500 new, three Parasounds would have set you back $1575 when purchased new. With today's technology I'll keep the Parasounds.
I've not found amp "sound differences" worth any particular expenditure of time/effort. How do you perform your AB comparison?

Top Bottom