• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SoundPath Tri-Band Wireless Audio Adapter Review and measurments-ish

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Tri-Band Wireless Audio Adapter is the newest Wireless transmitter from SVS, for those who would like to place their subwoofers (or Speakers) in the optimal location in their room but do not want to extend long meters of cables. It's 200$ USD per Transmitter and Reciever but SVS support has disclosed with me that they've started to sell them individually as well.

The previous iteration, the Soundpath Wireless Audio Adapter was quite successful and measured decently by Amir here. However, according to other users, it's not great in areas with HEAVY interference, which was also disclosed by SVS as well.

I live in an apartment in a gigantic building with possibly tens of thousands of devices using WiFi, so i was very hesitant to use such products. However, with the release of the Tri-Band version I felt much more confident and I took the plunge!

Once installed, it auto-switches between the 2.4 GHz, 5.2 GHz, and 5.8 GHz wireless bands for uninterrupted audio signal transfer. (Allegedly) Impervious to interference from Bluetooth, Wi-Fi routers, wireless security systems, cameras, and other wireless devices.

However there is no Free luncheon, this device introduces ~19.25 ms of delay (advertised and confirmed by measurements), compared to the 14ms of delay for the previous iteration.

What's in the Box?

1624016262135.png

Two (Mono?) RCA Cables

Two power adapters and two USB cables to power the devices

One transmitter and one receiver

two Velcro stickers to stick the Tri-Band to a surface if you would like

Installation

It's pretty much plug and play as the transmitter and the receiver are paired before they're delivered to you, as soon as the two devices are powered the link is established.

Measurements

To measure the performance I used equipment (DAC and ADC) that I own and has been measured on by Amir for reference, this is not perfect, but i have enough resolution to clear out the entire CD format (~96dB SINAD), the MiniDSP was also used to voltage/volume match the two inputs.

1624019077707.png

1624015158979.png

1624015172250.png

1624019385659.png

1624015267490.png

1624015524989.png

Claim #1: Tri-Band adds only ~19ms of latency.

True. I measured the latency by using the 'Tri-Band free output as the Reference output and selecting 'loopback as acoustic timing reference' in REW

1624017236086.png

Claim #2: SoundPath provides “full-range wireless connectivity,” possessing the ability to transmit frequencies between 6Hz and 22kHz +/-0.5dB.

True. I wouldn't lose sleep over the tiny difference in high frequency roll-off in the SPL sweep.

Claim #3: THD+N (SINAD) is -70dB (10Hz – 20kHz)

True. I'm infact getting 75 dB SINAD which is utterly and completely transparent for subwoofer use.

Claim #4: S/N: +105dB (10Hz - 20kHz)

Probably. I'm limited by the MiniDSP in that regard, but it shows ~6 dB higher noise than the Qudelix on its own. Which checks out. You're free to interpret this however you want.

Claim #5: The Tri-Band is quite impervious to Wifi interference

True. Playback has been fairly smooth and uninterrupted (even at full bandwidth), my subwoofers are not turning on in the middle night and causing mini explosotions. Considering that my apartement is wifi hell, that's pretty good.

Conclusions

Seems like a quite well engineered product, I would recommend it to anyone struggling with subwoofer placement because they don't want to extend cables, even in very dense apartment complexes and intense Wifi interference.

Last edited:

Zoomer

Thanks for measuring this.
It seems quite expensive for what it does, even if it does it quite well.

It would be interesting to find out how it compares to the dual band Dynasty WSA-5TR-V2 with a claimed latency of <17ms, goes for less than half the price and according to Dynasty Proaudio has the same internals as the KEF KW1.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for measuring this.
It seems quite expensive for what it does, even if it does it quite well.

this is a more expensive option for people experiencing wifi interference.

the less expensive model is 120$ I think.

radix

Major Contributor
I have a pair of these tri-band links too, and ran them through my QA402. These were done with a 256k FFT, 96 kHz sample rate, Hann window, and 4 averages. I found the best loopback SNR at a -6 dbV output and "6" full scale input.

Summary: My measurements agree with @abdo123 except for SNR. Maybe that's pilot error on my side? I'm still pretty new working with the QA402.

I measure a -74 to -75 dB (a weight) THD+N (SINAD). My SNR measurements were just under 81 dB, so not anywhere near the 105 dB.

1khz_6dbv.png

Here the right channel is in loopback so you can see the DUT vs signal. So my max SNR sensitivity is about 99 dB, but the device is a good 20 dB under that.

1khz_left_dut_right_loopback.png

The frequency response looks very good 10 Hz to 20 kHz. It does fall like a rock after 20 kHz.

FR.png

Finally, for delay I used the left channel DUT and right channel loopback, then set the cursors on the same peak. The "DX" measurement is 19.25 msec.

1khz_delay.png

SorenTyson

Old thread… I got a question, Do we know how much output the receiver unit can produce to power the input of the subwoofer?

tomita

So this can't be used without delaying the mains, right? Minidsp (or an alternative) would be a must for this use case scenario.

radix

Major Contributor
So this can't be used without delaying the mains, right? Minidsp (or an alternative) would be a must for this use case scenario.

Or an AVR, which can usually do the same thing. Or my Anthem STR preamp can delay too (with or without ARC Genesis).

Top Bottom