• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB3000 micro review in Stereophile

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/svs-3000-micro-subwoofer

No measurements seem to have been taken; which is a pity

Interesting line in there - "Playing Bloom, the Harbeths had never sounded more fit, fine, and inner-detailed. My brain kept saying "Wow! That is what fast, flat frequency response sounds like!".

From stereophile's own review, the speakers he is using seems to have the BBC dip between 2-5khz ?
https://www.stereophile.com/content...-anniversary-edition-loudspeaker-measurements
1627159075339.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

If this isn't allowed, please remove it ASAP.

From the Stereophile Review of the SVS micro 3000, sans measurements:
If I were asked what, if anything, the more expensive KEF KC62 did better than the less expensive SVS 3000 Micro, I'd say pitch definition. Pace and timing, too. But it was close. The KEF's tone seemed slightly more correct, and it danced with slightly greater precision.

yes! the subwoofer danced ( !!! ) with greater precisiono_O
Very useful review as you can see from the quotes...:rolleyes:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I like it's small form , blutooth app and reasonable cost. Seems like a better option than the little kef that it keeps being compared to.

Blaspheme

measurements seem to have been taken; which is a pity

Interesting line in there - "Playing Bloom, the Harbeths had never sounded more fit, fine, and inner-detailed. My brain kept saying "Wow! That is what fast, flat frequency response sounds like!".

From stereophile's own review, the speakers he is using seems to have the BBC dip between 2-5khz ?
Not possible to judge finally without in-room measurements. The quasi-anechoic dip is ~ 2 dB on that graph, however (it's pretty much +0.5 -2 from 100 Hz to 20 kHz, I don't know how much smoothing JA uses). Also, read the measurements section through, if Herb has his on slightly low stands, they may well be "flat".

Yes, words are never used figuratively on ASR. ;)

But yeah, sadly subwoofers don't get a full review with measurements from JA.

whazzup

Joentell did in room measurements for the svs micro and kef kc62 (graphs from 06:31 onwards)

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Not possible to judge finally without in-room measurements. The quasi-anechoic dip is ~ 2 dB on that graph, however (it's pretty much +0.5 -2 from 100 Hz to 20 kHz, I don't know how much smoothing JA uses). Also, read the measurements section through, if Herb has his on slightly low stands, they may well be "flat".
The room will influence below 500Hz (and also some upto 1khz), but I don't positioning can fill in the 2-5khz dip. Also, there is a directivity error around 2khz (off axis dips are even larger due to woofer beaming), so the vocals are likely to be a bit recessed (JA call it 'polite').

Having said that, I think what Herb was referring to when he said 'flat frequency response' was probably in context of the bass, since the subwoofer was the subject of the review.

Blaspheme

No smoothing. The trace above 300Hz in my quasi-anechoic response plots is averaged across a ±15° horizontal window centered on the tweeter axis.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Not smoothed, averaged, of course. I have read your method description—more than once :)—but it escaped my mind at the time of that post, thank you.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

The room will influence below 500Hz (and also some upto 1khz), but I don't positioning can fill in the 2-5khz dip. Also, there is a directivity error around 2khz (off axis dips are even larger due to woofer beaming), so the vocals are likely to be a bit recessed (JA call it 'polite').
Adjusting horizontal and/or vertical angle relative to listening position and listener's ear height being different from room modes, setting up the Harbeth a bit below ear height wrt the 2-5 kHz dip was mentioned specifically in the measurements section. Otherwise, possibly yes.

Having said that, I think what Herb was referring to when he said 'flat frequency response' was probably in context of the bass, since the subwoofer was the subject of the review.
Yes, I think so too.

Soundstage

Very frustrating review where many words are used but none describe how the author plugged the subwoofer. Is he high passing the mains through subwoofer? At some point he refers to the KEF review which even more obscure. What a pity.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At some point he refers to the KEF review which even more obscure. What a pity.
It is pretty simple to me : The Micro is an outstanding subwoofer for the money... Untill The KEF KC62, being more expensive, (so has to be better) will also be an outstanding subwoofer for the money. Untill...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

If this isn't allowed, please remove it ASAP.

From the Stereophile Review of the SVS micro 3000, sans measurements:

Very useful review as you can see from the quotes...:rolleyes:
Given that treasure trove of useful information, I wonder why I ever let my subscription lapse.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Joentell did in room measurements for the svs micro and kef kc62 (graphs from 06:31 onwards)

Hi

This reviewer is bending backward trying to find ways to suggest that maybe, just maaaayyybeeeeee, the Kef could, perhaps, you know, if you listen at 40 dB average SPL , etc .. you knowbut, wellllll, etc ... hand-waving .... it depends and all the other qualifiers to NOT say what everyone sees...:
The SVS micro 3000 is the better subwoofer. period. it cost also less, at least in the US.

Data talks BS walks .

HooStat

I rather enjoyed reading Herb's review. He writes in a way that I find entertaining. And I liked that it was clear that he had not done much in the way of integrating a subwoofer before, so I could relate to that. I didn't read it for the "review" but more for the adventure of playing with a new toy. It would have been nice to see some of the standard CEA measurements, but that has never been Stereophile's "thing" with respect to subs.

Soundstage

I rather enjoyed reading Herb's review. He writes in a way that I find entertaining. And I liked that it was clear that he had not done much in the way of integrating a subwoofer before, so I could relate to that. I didn't read it for the "review" but more for the adventure of playing with a new toy. It would have been nice to see some of the standard CEA measurements, but that has never been Stereophile's "thing" with respect to subs.
I must be dumb for I did not understand much of the review.

Top Bottom