• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-3000 vs Rythmik F12SE vs PSAS2410

Thor9981

Hello gurus. Hoping you can help me make a selection on a new subwoofer. This is the last component to a home theater / audio system I've been building these last 8 months.

System is currently 2 KEF R11s (LR), KEF R2C (C), 2 KEF R3s (Surr. LR), Anthem AVM70, Cambridge Azur 851N, The AR Turntable, Buckeye NC502MP 4Chx350W (LCR), Buckeye NC252MP 6Chx150w (Surr. LR / Atmos (to be added down the road but probably KEF R8a)).

Room is an open living room / kitchen / dining room measuring 16ft(W) x 25ft(L) x 7.5ft(H), so pretty small downstairs listening area. Listening distance is 10-12ft (tower to seated listening position) and 3.5ft (floor to ear) on a ceramic tile floor. Can't do anything larger than ~12 inch drivers due to space limitations.

I know the system may seem overkill but I'm building in the hopes that I'll be in a larger home with more listening space in the future.

I've narrowed it down to three choices: SVS SB-3000, Rythmik F12SE, and PSA S2410 based off my reading here and at AVS.

The system is primarily for music (Floyd, Zeppelin, Petty, Radiohead, Beck, Arcade Fire-type music) so no super beat driven music but it's also my primary home theater system. I'd like to preserve some of the rumble you get in Star Wars-type situations in the scenes where the galactic ships pass over. However, I don't want to sacrifice music quality for tactile response. I live pretty close to the neighbors' houses on all sides so that's a consideration, too.

I don't have the ability to audition any of the three prior to purchase. I'm leaning toward the PSA since it's dual-firing 12s. Steering somewhat clear of ported subs but open to feedback.

Hoping to get something piano black to match the KEFs but not tied to it.

Thoughts, impressions, feelings? Not tied to anything but want to keep the budget below $1,500. Appreciate all feedback.

Last edited:

archerious

Which did you buy OP?

OP
Thor9981

Thor9981

Ended up going a little larger with the Rythmik E15SE-XLR3 build. I love it so far. However, I haven't fully dialed it in yet with room correction. Still waiting on my amps to arrive so I can hook up the XLR output to the Anthem AVM 70 and run ARC. Right now it's pretty much set to stock going through my Yamaha AVR. I imagine it'll only get better once I properly complete the integration steps.

Last edited:
OP
Thor9981

Thor9981

I believe so but probably not for a while. There's not space for another one in my living room but eventually I'll move and should have a better listening area to incorporate a second sub and atmos speakers.

In other news, my modem crapped out today. I purchased a new one and when I connected the lan cable to the router, the sub started producing a very loud buzzing sound. So much so that I had to unplug it to get it to stop. I'm hoping that once I get my amps and run the shielded XLR cable to the AVP, this will fix the issue. In the meantime, I'll try rotating the plugs to see if that helps. Very odd but it's always something, right?

OP
Thor9981

Thor9981

Just as an update, the modem I purchased was an Arris Surfboard S33 that cost $200. At that price point you'd think the implementation would be competent enough to not interfere with other components. No amount of switching or moving things around made any difference. I returned the Arris today and picked up a Netgear CM-2000 and voila, interference is gone and there's no more humming from the sub. Strange stuff, folks.

Top Bottom