• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Looking forward for noise/hiss difference, if any. Thanks!

goldenears

Great review, @hardisj . Any noteworthy hiss? I have a pair of SB-2000 notPro, and both emit an audible "shhhhhhhhhhhh..." at a listening distance of ~8'. SVS support told me it is normal, but I can hear it clearly during quiet passages and between songs, which causes me to listen to music without subs most of the time.
necrobump, just wanted to say that I have an SB2000 nonpro, and it has barely any hiss. I can just hear it when I literally get down on my knees and wear the sub like a headphone with my ear about 10cm from the speaker, but not at all from the couch.

Maybe try a different sub cable? Does it hiss with no input cable connected? Turn the power off before disconnecting - I've made that mistake before.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I received the first of my two SB4000 subs yesterday. It is completely silent. My only complaint is that it weighs 102 lbs.

The SB3000 is a wonderful bargain for what it delivers. My only issue was that very slight noise.
Good to hear! The twin 4000s should do the job!

lau_cip

Hello.
I just registered to write that i just bought a Sb-1000 pro and it has the same high pitch sound.
It's frequency and amplitude varies between 2kz and ans 800 hz(very rough estimation using my ears) according to the load on usb port.
Since i have some knowledge in electronics field i can conclude that this is a problem with the usb port or 5 volt bus buck converter design, putting a load on the port up to the maximum allowed(150mA) makes the sound dissapear completely, i used a 0.5W resistor and an usb plug for the fix.
If using "SoundPath Bluetooth Adapter " the noise will still be audible but fainter.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello.
I just resisted to write that i just bought a Sb-1000 pro and it has the same high pitch sound.
It's frequency and amplitude varies between 2kz and ans 800 hz(very rough estimation using my ears) according to the load on usb port.
Since i have some knowledge in electronics field i can conclude that this is a problem with the usb port or 5 volt bus buck converter design, putting a load on the port up the the maximum allowed(150mA) makes the sound dissapear completely, i used a 0.5W resistor and an usb plug for the fix.
If using "SoundPath Bluetooth Adapter " the noise will still be audible but fainter.
Pin-out? Please?

lau_cip

The easiest is to just cut an usb cable , connect the resistor between the red and black wires.(pin 1 and pin 4)
Resistor value should be 32 ohms and it's power at least 0.5W.

usb-wiring-connection.jpg

Jimbo1960

Hello.
I just registered to write that i just bought a Sb-1000 pro and it has the same high pitch sound.
Since i have some knowledge in electronics field i can conclude that this is a problem with the usb port or 5 volt bus buck converter design, putting a load on the port up to the maximum allowed(150mA) makes the sound dissapear completely, i used a 0.5W resistor and an usb plug for the fix.
I would contact SVS and see what they can do. I had the noise with the SB3000 and ended up going with a the SB4000. It is dead silent.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Since i have some knowledge in electronics field i can conclude that this is a problem with the usb port or 5 volt bus buck converter design
Hmmm, so the small PCB/module containing the USB port induces this noise into the analogue signal path?

putting a load on the port up to the maximum allowed(150mA) makes the sound dissapear completely
Great news, I'll definitely try this one soon in my SB-3000; thanks for sharing. However, I thought 500mA is max. allowed for USB-A, right?

i used a 0.5W resistor and an usb plug for the fix
What exact value, please? 33 Ohms or 10 Ohms? Thanks!

lau_cip

Hmmm, so the small PCB/module containing the USB port induces this noise into the analogue signal path?

Great news, I'll definitely try this one soon in my SB-3000; thanks for sharing. However, I thought 500mA is max. allowed for USB-A, right?

What exact value, please? 33 Ohms or 10 Ohms? Thanks!
The noise is not in the analog signal part, the inductor that is a part of the buck converter and or a filtering capacitor is generating the noise just like a miniature speaker.
For the resistor start with 32 ohms, if the sub is still noisy try a lower value.
On SB-1000 the limit is 150mA, could be 500mA on SB-3000

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
The noise is not in the analog signal part, the inductor that is a part of the buck converter and or a filtering capacitor is generating the noise just like a miniature speaker.
Please check my SB-3000 review and let me know about what buck converter are you talking about. The USB port is located on the same PCB with the BT controller, DSP chip and the input RCA plugs. So are you speaking about this small board and not about the big board, right? You should attach a pic for a better understanding.

Worth noting that my both SB-1000 were having zero noise and the only difference between the former SB-1000 and the newer PRO version is this new PCB module that contains the small DSP chip and the BT.

lau_cip

Please check my SB-3000 review and let me know about what buck converter are you talking about. The USB port is located on the same PCB with the BT controller, DSP chip and the input RCA plugs. So are you speaking about this small board and not about the big board, right? You should attach a pic for a better understanding.

Worth noting that my both SB-1000 were having zero noise and the only difference between the former SB-1000 and the newer PRO version is this new PCB module that contains the small DSP chip and the BT.
My affirmation was generic since i never disassembled my unit, but since you did do it for both the sb 1000 and sb 3000 pro you can compare them far better. The buck converter should be on the board with the usb port, i will look at the pictures and try to find it.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
You need to analyse existing pictures and estimate on what PCB is the buck converter you are talking about. Is it the regulators for the USB port or something else? Is it the one from the below picture, from the smaller PCB containing the RCA inputs and the USB port?

IMG_0454.jpg

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Meanwhile, I've added an USB cable connected to a HTC phone that started to charge from the SB-3000's USB port. Same hiss was coming from sub's middle cone when I put my ear few inches in front of it.

lau_cip

From your picture it could be U8 near the 100 uH inductor ,or U4 near the 100uF 6v capacitor
In my case the high frequency noise is not reflected in the signal, nothing can be heard from the speaker itself..

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
U8 is indeed the +5V regulator from the USB connector, but I just connected a phone to this plug and hiss noise is present and stable. Are you sure that adding a resistor will cease the noise? Have you tried adding a phone and try to charge it and see if noise disappears or not?

lau_cip

U8 is indeed the +5V regulator from the USB connector, but I just connected a phone to this plug and hiss noise is present and stable. Are you sure that adding a resistor will cease the noise? Have you tried adding a phone and try to charge it and see if noise disappears or not?
Yes, i started with different usb devices, the phone only silenced it for a short while. Only the resistor at 32 ohm was the final solution, the regulator needs enough current pulled that the voltage feedback loop is disabled and the output voltage will go under 5 volts.
In your case it could be something else, the noise i am referring is the high pitched one that other users have been able to silence by putting a load on the usb.

Last edited:

MartinCooke

Thanks. When people say hiss, it implies a higher frequency and it occurred to me that I might not be sensitive enough to hear it. 2.3kHz is no problem.

So, I relistened to each sub with that tone range in mind. I could hear nothing/nada from either of the SB-3000 from the front or the back. From the SB-2000Pro, I can hear only a little 120Hz hum with my ear 2-3 inches from the front and I think that is a residual of the simple XLR-to-RCA adapter in use. Unplug it and the hum disappears.
Hi, just discovered this thread after purchasing an SB3000 few weeks back and powering on I instantly noticed two noises coming from the subwoofer. One is an almost inaudible whirring which i'm guessing is a normal sound, as i cannot hear it when i take my ear off the top the woofer but the other, and i'm guessing this is the sound your talking about, is audible from across the room 7 feet away and the only way i can describe it is a high pitched sine wave from across the room and like an old spectrum game loading when i put my ear to the top of the sub.

I've tried with nothing attached to the sub other than than the power cable and still no difference. I contacted the shop i bought it from and they suspected a possible ground loop issue. I sent the sub back and replaced it with an SB2000 which was completely silent using the same socket, however the 2000 is not a patch on the 3000 in terms of impact so i sent it back and the shop requested a new amp from REL (whoever that is) and sent out the same 3000 with a new amp and they advised they'd tested it in house and no issues. On receiving the sub same thing again, as soon as i switch on the power, a high pitched spectrum like sound but....the slight whirring had gone. typical!

Not sure i can live with this sound, at quiet points in fims or tv or even with low ambient background noise i can still hear the sound eminating from the sub. I've contacted SVS via email tonight and will wait their response but i think this subs gotta be returned. I don't really have the space for the 4000 but there's no guarantees this issue won't plague that sub either. Very disappointing experience and at a loss as to what to do for the best.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hi, just discovered this thread after purchasing an SB3000 few weeks back and powering on I instantly noticed two noises coming from the subwoofer. One is an almost inaudible whirring which i'm guessing is a normal sound, as i cannot hear it when i take my ear off the top the woofer but the other, and i'm guessing this is the sound your talking about, is audible from across the room 7 feet away and the only way i can describe it is a high pitched sine wave from across the room and like an old spectrum game loading when i put my ear to the top of the sub.

I've tried with nothing attached to the sub other than than the power cable and still no difference. I contacted the shop i bought it from and they suspected a possible ground loop issue. I sent the sub back and replaced it with an SB2000 which was completely silent using the same socket, however the 2000 is not a patch on the 3000 in terms of impact so i sent it back and the shop requested a new amp from REL (whoever that is) and sent out the same 3000 with a new amp and they advised they'd tested it in house and no issues. On receiving the sub same thing again, as soon as i switch on the power, a high pitched spectrum like sound but....the slight whirring had gone. typical!

Not sure i can live with this sound, at quiet points in fims or tv or even with low ambient background noise i can still hear the sound eminating from the sub. I've contacted SVS via email tonight and will wait their response but i think this subs gotta be returned. I don't really have the space for the 4000 but there's no guarantees this issue won't plague that sub either. Very disappointing experience and at a loss as to what to do for the best.
I am sorry to say this but, if there is a problem in your system with 3 different subs (out of 3), I would be looking at your system and/or house wiring. I do not believe that SVS is perfect but it is hard to think that they could stay in business if this was typical of their quality control.

They recently sent me the three I have now (2 x SB3000 and 1 x SB2000Pro) and all three are silent. The noise I referred to earlier was the fault of an XLR-to-RCA adapter that I had on the SB2000Pro but it disappeared with a change of that adapter.

I hope you find something compatible.

Top Bottom