• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
In front, of course; this is why I moved it 90 degrees, so I can't hear the hiss from the listening point. The middle cone of the driver can definitelly go higher than 2.3 kHz.
Yeah, 2300 Hz would really annoy me. I owned older SVS subs and I currently have 5 subs from 3 different companies and fortuntely none have such issue.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If I stand or walk around the room, the angle between my ears and the woofer is higher and I can't hear the hiss unless I bend my head or sit on the floor, so this hiss is not superannoying to me. As long as I moved (angled) my sub 90 degrees and is not firing directly against my ears, I'm good.

Jimbo1960

Ed Mullen from SVS contacted me today. He spent about 40 minutes going over all my options. He even extended my 45 day trial so I have more time to consider what to do I've never dealt with any HiFi company with such good customer service. He suggested I go with either the SB-2000 or SB-4000.

If you set the 'hiss' aside, I love the SB-3000s. I may just keep them.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If you set the 'hiss' aside, I love the SB-3000s. I may just keep them.
It is definitely a keeper for me too, because the hiss is audible only if the driver is pointing directly at me and music is not playing. otherwise I can't hear it. However, maybe I'll replace the amp plate soon and see if the hiss goes away.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Remember ,it is NOT any of the drivers. It is in the amp. If they offered a full return, you could jump to the 4000 series. That would pretty much guarantee you are all set in the subwoofer department. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Jimbo1960

From what Ed Mullen told me, it is unlikely to happen with the SB-4000. If I went that route, I'd ask them to test it before shipping. He offered that with another pair of SB-3000 subs. It may be that my hearing is more sensitive in whatever frequency range the noise is at.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It may be that my hearing is more sensitive in whatever frequency range the noise is at.
I'm also having an extreme hearing sensitivity; as I already said, I need to unplug most of the SMPS from the bedroom. :) I was also the only one in the house unable to sleep due to hearing the woodworms from the attic few years ago.

I'm wating for a new amp plate from Ed too, hope it will be a lucky plate for me.

Jimbo1960

I decided to try replacing the amp on one of my two SB-3000. That way I can see what is going on. SVS is going to test an amp, to find one they consider low-noise. I really hope that it lessens the noise-floor, since I REALLY want to keep these subs. If this doesn't work, I may try the SB-4000 or SC-4000.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I received a replacement amp plate from Ed Mullen (Director, SVS); it came very well packed and with new screws too. It is the first time when a manufacturer sends me a replacement board or any kind of electronic devices (due to RMA/warranty) with the DDP Incoterms (all taxes paid by the manufacturer). TNT/FEDEX just left my package in the yard after a short talk on the cellphone, telling me that I have nothing to pay. A huge CONGRATS to SVS for such a customer service and they way they deal with their customers!

I installed the board yesterday and had it briefly tested. I have noticed a slight decrease in the background noise, indeed, but only by a small margin, with 1.1 dBA. However, the noise was cleaner to my ears and from the listening point I wasn't able to hear it, so I am happy after all.

Perhaps there is still room for improvement on the design and I'm sure that future versions of subwoofers the schematic will be redesigned to further eliminate the background noise completely, but meanwhile, for those having hiss noise issues with SVS subs or with any other subs, just rotate them with 90 or 180 degrees (so the sub to not fire into listeners face), then adjust the phase with +/-90 or +/-180 degrees and remeasure the output with REW. This will definitely lower the audible noise on the listening point so it will not be audible any longer.

The attached pics represent the noise for:
- original board (35.5 dBA)
- replacement board (34.4 dBA)
- room ambient noise (23.9 dBA)

Measurements were done with DecibelX on iPhone 12 Pro from identical distance. Several measurements were done and I got same results. I also used REW + Motu M4 + EMM999 and I got the same 1...1.2 dB difference in noise.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 123
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    265 KB · Views: 130
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    260 KB · Views: 134

Jimbo1960

I got my replacement amp and it made a very slight improvement. I really do enjoy the SB-3000s, so I will probably keep them and hope they do a revision to the board. I would go up to the SB-4000, but I do not have the room for them.

Jimbo1960

Has anyone of the forum compared the SB-3000 to the SBf-4000? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks!

EB1000

Has anyone of the forum compared the SB-3000 to the SBf-4000? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks!
I've recently heard a demo of the SB3000 and the arendal 1723 1s, the arendal 1723 1s sounded much better with amazing punch!

Speeddeacon

I've recently heard a demo of the SB3000 and the arendal 1723 1s, the arendal 1723 1s sounded much better with amazing punch!
While not exactly apples to oranges, the Arendal 1S is 50% more $ than the SB3000. When I look at sub prices, I always double because I use a pair. With a little effort you could get a pair of the SB3000 for pretty near 1500 at a dealer. You will be hard pressed to find a pair of subs that are the equal of the SB3000 at <$2k for a pair. SVS has just announced a $100 price increase on the SB3000 though so that pushes it over the $2k mark possibly. Of course it's a ported design, but in the > $2k/pr range, I'll have to hear the new Monoprice THX 13". It may very well be the standard bearer in that price range. The question that remains today is what performance differences the 16" model will offer for a relatively little more cash.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

killdozzer

Major Contributor
@hardisj Man!!! You suck at "vs" reviews! :D
:D:D:D

1633080273619.png

You look like this referee saying: "oh, guys, c'mon, don't fight! look, one of you has a nice hair and the other one has brand new elbow protectors! C'mon, shake on it!"

Speeddeacon

Based on https://arendalsound.com/product/1723-subwoofer-1s/ it has 98.9dB peak@20Hz/2m while SB3000 has about 101dB peak @20Hz/2m (based on Erin's measurements) and 93.6dB RMS (96.2dB peak) @20Hz/2m based on Audioholics.

Right, but Erin's results were questioned, even by him to some degree, and now he has evidently determined that there was some type of issue with his testing so he is going to retest the SB3000 at some point. I'm not sure what the issue is as evidently he hasn't said publicly. I personally doubt it will be very significant as the body of the measurements were accurate and consistent with other published tests, perhaps just the extreme LF output measurements may have been erroneous.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I kinda see the point your way too, but for an extra 2.6dB SPL @20Hz I wouldn't pay twice the price of SB3000 to get 1723 1S, which btw my sb3000 fills with good bass very well my 40m2 open space (25m2 for the living).

Speeddeacon

I kinda see the point your way too, but for an extra 2.6dB SPL @20Hz I wouldn't pay twice the price of SB3000 to get 1723 1S, which btw my sb3000 fills with good bass very well my 40m2 open space (25m2 for the living).
Exactly. I think. I’m not entirely sure I’m following you though. I wouldn’t spend the money difference for the 1723 1S either. But I do believe in the benefits of multi-sub for smoothing in room response, improving seat to seat consistency and addressing the resonant room modes, as well as for stereo sub signal. Output is not why I use dual, but there certainly is that benefit which I see as a bonus. That would not justify the price to me either though and if output and extension were what I was after primarily, I’d look at a big single sub from one the usual suspects.

Top Bottom