• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, not questioning the data, but by looking at your measurements of each, it does seems very odd that the SB-2000 Pro is louder than PB-2000 Pro at 25Hz & 31.5Hz in 2010-A and for 2010-B the SB-2000 Pro ties or is louder than the PB-2000 Pro at every frequency!

So, there is really no reason to spend the extra $100 on the PB-2000 Pro?

In the subwoofer comparison sheet, there are exactly 4 sealed subs that beat(by >0.1dB) the SB-3000 with these measurements at 20hz: The Paradigm Signature 2, JTR Captivator RS1 and S2, and Funk Audio FW21.0. All are much larger and use 18" or larger/multiple drivers and cost several times as much. Many, many 15-18" subs are below them.

I did remember that there is another source of SVS data.... Brent Butterworth's spreadsheet. Converted to 2m peak, he measured the SB16-Ultra at 102.1db@20hz, SB2000 Pro at 93.6dB, and the SB2000 at 95.1dB. Hometheaterreview measured the SB-4000 at 98.5dB.

I feel like there's gotta be some kind of systemic difference, and I'm not even saying Erin's measurements are wrong but... I'm not sure they are apples to apples comparable to all others measurements.

I guess measure more SVS and non-SVS subs so we can find out! :p

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Back on the topic of hiss, I unplugged the RCA cables, and both subs continued to hiss at the same level as before. I also noted the subs do not have ground pins in their IEC sockets. Therefore, their amps are making this noise on their own.

Both subs have their crossovers maxed out, and I use the LFE input when inputs are connected. I could possibly mitigate the problem by setting the crossovers to something like 90Hz to roll off the higher frequencies in the hiss. I will try that this weekend. I am traveling Thurs and Fri of this week.

To be clear, I am talking about the SB-2000, which is the predecessor to the Pro version in this review.

Last edited:

Steve81

Forum Donor
I feel like there's gotta be some kind of systemic difference, and I'm not even saying Erin's measurements are wrong but... I'm not sure they are apples to apples comparable to all others measurements.

Respectfully, I will say something is wrong. Like I said earlier, going by the SB2000 Pro's numbers on the CEA2010B chart, it'd need about 100mm (4 inches) of peak to peak travel to put out 106dB @ 2m peak @ 20Hz. Going up to 31.5Hz, it's worse; 117dB @ 2m peak would need about 150mm of peak to peak travel. The latter is about double what SVS claims for their flagship driver in the SB16-Ultra (78mm peak to peak).

Compare that with the (admittedly old) numbers Josh Ricci got for the SVS SB12-NSD: a much more reasonable ~34mm peak to peak for 101dB @ 2m RMS @ 31.5Hz, and about 30mm for 91.9dB @ 20Hz.

RMW_NJ

I have 2X SB3000 and both have audible hiss; Doesn't batter me that much from the listening position.

Same. For me it’s loud enough to hear, faintly, across my room. I actually had SVS send me a replacement amp because I have several other SVS subs and none of them have audible hiss like the SB-3000...did the swap and the new amp hisses too.

Instrugramm

I run dual SB-2000 Pros in a dead silent treated home studio room, no hiss whatsoever even if I put my ear right next to it.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Yes, I imagine there is a difference with the new Sledge amps used in the Pro lineup versus the previous generation. If so that might explain the discrepancies being reported in terms of hiss. Certainly when I was using my SB 2000 Pro subs, two of them in a nearfield listening environment I never heard any hiss.

hege

Forum Donor
Respectfully, I will say something is wrong. Like I said earlier, going by the SB2000 Pro's numbers on the CEA2010B chart, it'd need about 100mm (4 inches) of peak to peak travel to put out 106dB @ 2m peak @ 20Hz.

Haha yeah sometimes even the best measurerers could be blinded by their methods. When an outcome is obviously physically impossible, it's good to take a breather. :D

TimoJ

I have a pair of SB-2000 notPro, and both emit an audible "shhhhhhhhhhhh..." at a listening distance of ~8'. SVS support told me it is normal, but I can hear it clearly during quiet passages and between songs, which causes me to listen to music without subs most of the time.
I also have a pair of SB2000 nonPro models and they also have hissed since new. SVS replaced (few years ago) both amplifiers and they still hiss, they also (said that they) inspected my old amps and said that they noticed no hissing.

But: I can make subs completely silent if I turn off AC power, wait 10-15 seconds and turn AC back on. Sometimes it takes 3-5 cycles before hissing disappears. After thats subs remain quiet, even if you use trigger to put them to sleep and back on. So something is wrong in SVS' AC power on initialization, maybe it leaves DSP not fully initialized or something. Too bad that I like to turn subs fully off and not leave AC connected, so it's always a lottery what I get after power on. But looks like this is hopeless case since they seem to be deaf and can't even hear the issue...

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I also have a pair of SB2000 nonPro models and they also have hissed since new. SVS replaced (few years ago) both amplifiers and they still hiss, they also (said that they) inspected my old amps and said that they noticed no hissing.

But: I can make subs completely silent if I turn off AC power, wait 10-15 seconds and turn AC back on. Sometimes it takes 3-5 cycles before hissing disappears. After thats subs remain quiet, even if you use trigger to put them to sleep and back on. So something is wrong in SVS' AC power on initialization, maybe it leaves DSP not fully initialized or something. Too bad that I like to turn subs fully off and not leave AC connected, so it's always a lottery what I get after power on. But looks like this is hopeless case since they seem to be deaf and can't even hear the issue...

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I will try it this evening to see if I can reproduce your work-around.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
^ This does work. I had to turn one sub off and back on twice and the other sub three times. Both are quiet now. This makes that setup much more usable now. Thanks!

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone should alert SVS that this is an issue affecting multiple users. Electronic devices that require multiple on/off cycles to properly operate are unacceptable and require corrective company action.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Someone should alert SVS that this is an issue affecting multiple users. Electronic devices that require multiple on/off cycles to properly operate are unacceptable and require corrective company action.
Great idea. Send them a link to this Thread!

Jkaiser3

I’ve been reading and researching about this hissing sub ordeal with svs subwoofers. This thread was of interest as I’ve recently bought a svs sb-3000, that hisses pretty loudly.
I use my sub in 2 positions; near-field and across the room for home theater. It’s the noise floor in my entire room which makes quiet music less enjoyable. Anyhow, svs has been helpful, they sent me out 2 amps to replace, neither resolved the issue, finally I spoke with a director, who informed me I would likely experience no difference if I swapped out my sub with an entirely different unit. So, I’m replacing it with an SVS sb-2000 pro.
From what I’ve read folks with that model say there is no hiss. If anyone could let me know if that’s not the case for them, it could be helpful in my model selection. I’m hoping the 2000 pro is able to output the same frequencies the 3000 can produce. I use the gain heavily (on my 3000) as I live in an apartment and the room it’s in is about a 12’ by 17’. My gains are at about 60 percent on source and between -18 to -14 on my sub. So lots of headroom with the 3000.
Sonically, I think the sb-2000 pro may even be a better match for the front mains of my 2.1 system as they are a modest 5 inch driver at 80 watts rms/per ch. (klipsch the fives).

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Update...

I contacted SVS, and they quickly and graciously shipped me 2 replacement amps. They are both quiet, at least for now. SVS customer service is excellent.

Hopefully, they just had a bad lot of modules or something.

TimoJ

Update...

I contacted SVS, and they quickly and graciously shipped me 2 replacement amps. They are both quiet, at least for now. SVS customer service is excellent.

Hopefully, they just had a bad lot of modules or something.
How old your subs are? I bought mine in 2015, they are out of warranty. Would be nice to know what was changed, just firmware or hardware.

jrocks29

After my two amps both made the same audible hiss as the initially installed amp did. One of the directors contacted me to let me know I would be better suited with another model as that was standard behavior for the svs sb-3000 sub. He didn't say they were defective more of a roundabout way of saying you'd be happier with another model. Following it with, The amp in the new SVS pro 2000 is solid, id recommend that. It will be a while before I get that installed and demo'd. But if I remember to, ill follow up to say how that one compares with the sb-3000.

Top Bottom