• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS Prime Pinnacles

BigMiIke

Anyone own or have experience with these speakers ?

You can find good deals on them occasionally.

Any feedback welcome

Thx

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Prime Center was measured by Erin:
CEA2034.jpg

It's a big disappointment...so I don't have high hopes for their towers.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
The Pinnacles were measured by SoundStage! Network.

Frequency Response

fr_on1530.png

Listening Window

fr_listeningwindow.png

Blech.

OP
B

BigMiIke

The Pinnacles were measured by SoundStage! Network.

Frequency Response

fr_on1530.png

Listening Window

fr_listeningwindow.png

Blech.
Thx Could you explain what that graph means ? lol
I’m not a tech guy - but I heard the PP because all I keep reading about is that they are a 5/5 speaker plus great value .
But what I heard was harsh tsssss tsssss

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
The top graph is the frequency response as measured directly and at 30 and 45 degree angles. Ideally, the top line will be straight across and generally smooth with some minor jaggies.

The second graph is an average of 5 measurements: direct and 15 degrees off axis up, down, left, and right. This should be similarly smooth with a slight downward slope toward high frequencies. This plot intends to show the direct sound a listener would hear in typical seating position relative to the speaker (room effects not considered).

What you are probably hearing is the effective peak created by the dips centered at 2,200Hz and 9,000Hz.

These speakers are a disappointing effort from SVS. If you find a reviewer praising these speakers, he has disqualified himself as a reviewer, as his ears are broken.

Last edited:
OP
B

BigMiIke

The top graph is the frequency response as measured directly and at 30 and 45 degree angles. Ideally, the top line will be straight across and generally smooth with some minor jaggies.

The second graph is an average of 5 measurements: direct and 15 degrees off axis up, down, left, and right. This should be similarly smooth with a slight downward slope toward high frequencies.

What you are probably hearing is the effective peak created by the dips centered at 2200Hz and 9000Hz.

These speakers are a disappointing effort from SVS.
Excellent thank you ! The bass - thump
Sound great but that mid range area is dry , harsh , inconsistent.

SynthesisCinema

Here is measurements and some explanation by James L. They should be anything but bright. Recessed highs. The opposite what is reported with the rest of Prime range.

OP
B

BigMiIke

Here is measurements and some explanation by James L. They should be anything but bright. Recessed highs. The opposite what is reported with the rest of Prime range.

Glowing review - my only trepidation is that site seems to be an SVS shill.

SynthesisCinema

For some reason Prime Pinnacle got EISA award as best speaker 2020! Once a year, a group of 55 AV magazines from around the world, including Stereophile and Sound & Vision in the U.S., vote on the best products from a variety of different categories. The group is known as the Expert Imaging & Sound Association (EISA) and the awards they give out are regarded as the most prestigious honor any AV product can receive.

I guess all those reviewers have broken ears. ;) @BigMiIke can you give a SVS Ultra Tower a listen? SVS Outlet has few Ultra Towers cheaper.

OP
B

BigMiIke

For some reason Prime Pinnacle got EISA award as best speaker 2020! Once a year, a group of 55 AV magazines from around the world, including Stereophile and Sound & Vision in the U.S., vote on the best products from a variety of different categories. The group is known as the Expert Imaging & Sound Association (EISA) and the awards they give out are regarded as the most prestigious honor any AV product can receive.

I guess all those reviewers have broken ears. ;) @BigMiIke can you give a SVS Ultra Tower a listen? SVS Outlet has few Ultra Towers cheaper.
That’s what I bought them - on that award …

OP
B

BigMiIke

Are you an SVS employee?

SynthesisCinema

Are you an SVS employee?
No, haha! I just thought to post the measurements to show they aren´t perhaps as bad as claimed. Most products doesn`t get much praise at ASR, lot of negativity unless they measure picture perfect. You might find something you really like which isn´t in Top 5 here. Keep looking!

OP
B

BigMiIke

No, haha! I just thought to post the measurements to show they aren´t perhaps as bad as claimed. Most products doesn`t get much praise at ASR, lot of negativity unless they measure picture perfect. You might find something you really like which isn´t in Top 5 here. Keep looking!
Great points - I’ve heard a few flat line speakers that sounded flat imo .
The PP I would classify as great HT speakers - the low end is as good as ive heard .
I think the Klipsch 8000F thumps better from comparisons I’ve read tho I haven’t heard them .

ronnzi

The second graph is an average of 5 measurements: direct and 15 degrees off axis up, down, left, and right. This should be similarly smooth with a slight downward slope toward high frequencies. This plot intends to show the direct sound a listener would hear in typical seating position relative to the speaker (room effects not considered).

What you are probably hearing is the effective peak created by the dips centered at 2,200Hz and 9,000Hz.

These speakers are a disappointing effort from SVS. If you find a reviewer praising these speakers, he has disqualified himself as a reviewer, as his ears are broken.
Based on the spinorama data, do you think some of the faults can be successfully EQ’d? The measurements from the different angles appear fairly the same to me, so I would think yes? I’m still wrapping my head around directivity and how that impacts EQ, so I’m not entirely sure and thought I’d ask.

I bought these speakers (a pair of SVS Prime Pinnacles) prior to having a great grasp on this stuff (from my somewhat unexpected purchase, I really started to dive and know so much more than what I did before). Without any correction, they sound pretty nice, though bright, which is not how most “reviews” describe them. They certainly roll off in the higher frequencies, but I think it’s that dip around 2.2khz particularly that makes them sound off to me without correction. I cross them over at 90hz fwiw.

I have an SVS ultra center as well, which SVS advertises as being timbre matched to these (and all it’s other speaker lines). The Ultra center is far smoother according to my Dirac measurements, and while my final room corrected results for all the speakers look to be a pretty good match, I’m wondering if it might help my system to do a little EQ’ing of the Pinnacles to get them to be more flat using my miniDSP 88a (they’re already connected to it for Dirac) before running my room correction.

Also, if anyone has any spinorama data for the SVS Ultra Center, that would also be helpful.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

image.jpg

This is good according to esteemed reviewers?

ronnzi

No response to my legitimate questions posed?

Also, yes, pretty much everything out there about the SVS pinnacles that I have found are positive, including the Audioholic review that the charts above were posted from. They note that the speaker’s response is not flat, but that the deviations are either non-intrusive, or preferable to some (namely the rolled-off highs). Not sure I agree, as I prefer a neutral response obviously, hence my questions about EQ’ing the speakers, but still.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
They will most likely sound fine. First off disregard ALL of the reviews without measurements. They are just telling you what they sound like in their room and their ears, it has nothing to do with your room and ears. Looking at the charts generally, they are not as flat as can be, but many speakers are not. I would compare these charts with other speakers tested by Amir in the "Review" tab up top. You will find that there very few almost perfect speakers. If you like thump, get one with thump! Don't buy something that will not give you what you want. Good Luck!

Top Bottom