• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS PB-1000 Pro or SB-1000 Pro Subwoofer for small room?

Ricwa

Forum Donor
I have 2 PB-1000 in my 11x17 dedicated listening room, 2.2 setup with miniDSP SHD and using multi-sub optimizer (MSO) to blend the mains with subs to 200 hz. I don’t listen loud. I have some pretty severe room modes but MSO + Dirac takes them out nicely. A fairly steep learning curve however.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
People here tend to go for vast overkill with subs,
There is no replacement for displacement.
I'd rather go overkill than operate at the edge of the sub's abilities. I love that no matter what I throw at it, my Arendal won't be impressed. :'D

D

Deleted member 48726

If you don't have the option to do EQ on the sub, go with the Pro version and SVS app where you can do some corrections. There is no such thing as overloading a room and no such thing as too big a sub. -IF you can do some room correction.

In continuation of this, I find that EQ'ing a ported sub will sound just as good as a sealed one. The ported obviously with the advantage of higher SPL.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The pb 1000 pro can be run sealed, a fact often overlooked....
True, I actually do run it in sealed mode all the time.

SlamTaz

i just got the sb 2000 for 499 (non-pro) for a room that measures about 1,800sqft +/-. size is real compact and oh boy it can deliver all the bass, or probably more than, i will ever need for such a small-med room. it's beside my sit-stand desktop wfh set-up and use it mostly for music listening and at times watch movies.

chuckt62

Editor
And check the outlet on their website. That’s where I got mine, %20 off.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll just pop this here;

JSmith
Although this list is largely acceptable, there are factors that inevitably make some of the statements less true.
Unfortunately the subwoofer, to add something to the musical content, must be set WELL, and not simply well, but perfectly, the room cannot be any room, it cannot be placed anywhere etc etc ... Because otherwise the result is exactly as described , a point where maybe you hear quite well, but moving a little you feel the room overloaded in some points, the energy of the very low frequencies overexcites some areas and makes listening really bad, so in many situations it is much better have speakers with good low output capability if you don't have the ability to set up a sub perfectly.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
I ended up getting the SB-1000 on clearance, for the slightly smaller size, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Yes, it’s hard to integrate a single sub in a small room, but I have it optimized for my most frequent position. For now, I’m using the sub’s 80 Hz high-pass filter to my amp and main speakers, until I can get a proper digital crossover. Great buy for me.

Thanks to all!

Top Bottom