• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS PB-1000 Pro or SB-1000 Pro Subwoofer for small room?

Dogen

Forum Donor
Hi, I’d like to place a small subwoofer in a 11 x 13 foot bedroom, either the SVS PB-1000 or SB-1000 Pro. Is room size a consideration when choosing? I’ve read up and believe I understand the trade offs, but will a ported sub overload or behave worse in a small, nearly square room? My goal is to reinforce the bass with my Tannoy 615 speakers, almost 100 percent music at lower volumes.

I’m leaning toward the sealed sub for size and cost; any reason not to go that way?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d suggest going with the sealed unit for size. I have the PB-1000Pro and it’s big for size.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ported typically go lower and louder. Sealed are considered to be more musical - audiophiles say they are faster and tighter - probably BS but I found my old sealed Paradigm Servo 15 better for music than my current ported Reaction Audio Echo 15’s. The Echo 15’s definitely energize the room more than the Servo 15 did and are great for movies.

Martin

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the ported PB-1000Pro goes down to 23Hz based on a review I happen to see of them a while back.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Sealed, absolutely. It's not "more musical", but it's smaller, and it's plenty powerful enough for a room your size (or twice your size) for music.

People here tend to go for vast overkill with subs, IMO. Maybe because they've taken the ASR redpill and can no longer spend a ton of money on cables ...

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People here tend to go for vast overkill with subs, IMO. Maybe because they've taken the ASR redpill and can no longer spend a ton of money on cables ...
Bit of an incendiary comment that is unwarranted and not useful for the topic.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I would plan on needing two of them to smooth out low frequency response in your room if your electronics will support them. A good friend of mine uses a pair of SB-1000 in his home office to good effect. I have a pair of SB-2000 in my media room (home theater + listening room), and they are more than enough in both low frequency extension and SPL.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sealed, absolutely. It's not "more musical", but it's smaller, and it's plenty powerful enough for a room your size (or twice your size) for music.

Sealed is mostly just smaller and less efficient at the lowest frequencies. Definition of "for music" depends on music listened to. What is overkill with subs around here? Mostly seems most have pretty poor/weak setups in that regard all too often....

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Sealed is mostly just smaller and less efficient at the lowest frequencies. Definition of "for music" depends on music listened to. What is overkill with subs around here? Mostly seems most have pretty poor/weak setups in that regard all too often....
FWIW I don’t much believe in “music subs” vs “HT subs” - I just want something that behaves well in a small room. I’m not sure spending more space and money to inject a few more Hz low-bass extension into a problematic room is the best course. And yes, two subs is always better, but absolutely no space for it. It’s cheating to stack them, right?

Newman

Major Contributor
Not so much cheating as self harm (audiophilewise, LOL).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I don’t much believe in “music subs” vs “HT subs” - I just want something that behaves well in a small room. I’m not sure spending more space and money to inject a few more Hz low-bass extension into a problematic room is the best course. And yes, two subs is always better, but absolutely no space for it. It’s cheating to stack them, right?
Still, more depends on your spl and extension goals for what you listen to (or find what it's worth spending on what you listen to?). Best course is hard to know :) Stacking in a corner would get the room going pretty well, tho :)

AudioKC

I have sealed in small room. I would say, if ported can go in room lower than 25Hz, I would choose it rather. Sealed is good quality and value, but these couple Hz matter for music.

nat1

If size isn't a concern you may as well get the ported one. If you care about the size, then sealed

zhimbo

Forum Donor
If you do proper or even semi-proper bass management, there's no such thing as a sub "overloading" a room, so there's no real downside to a ported sub...except maybe the nagging suspicion you're wasting all the headroom down low and you might have been just as happy with a smaller sealed sub. I use dual sealed in a room similar in size to your own, and I'm extremely happy with the 20-ish Hz output. But especially if you think you might move to a larger space in the not too distant future, there's no reason not to consider the ported as an option.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a single SB2000 pro and it works great in a slightly larger room than yours. FYI multiple subs smooth response across the room. In the the typical lonely audiphile setup, you only sit in one place. A single sub can be EQed for flat response at a single seat. Multiple subs are for home theaters with multiple seating positions.

Top Bottom