• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why would it measure better? If you compare 1x12" vs 2x12" it would probably be better, but it's hardly fair as it would have twice the woofer area. Just assuming things are better because they are cool kinda goes against this forum.

I closed my opinion on this, but again and again I don't know why you think I'm talking about how it looks ... I talked totally the opposite ... . Done again :)

rcstevensonaz

That kind of device applies adc / dac internal converters, adding noise and distortion. Good hardware dsp preamps are expensive.
In other way, with ths svs app you only apply dsp on the sub signal and not in the middle / high frequencies from the main speakers signal (where it's less important).
With a multi-channel Dirac device such as the MiniDSP DDRC-24, you can apply dsp to the signal(s) sent to the sub(s) and leave the main speaker channel unprocessed.

mike70

With a multi-channel Dirac device such as the MiniDSP DDRC-24, you can apply dsp to the signal(s) sent to the sub(s) and leave the main speaker channel unprocessed.

You're right, but ... 450 usd ... adds 50% to the price. You can use REW to analyze the frequency response and configure up to 3 peq points with the included svs DSP. Surely a decent solution.

You'll have better results with bass only Dirac? Perhaps.
I don't know what Dirac will do only with that frequency spectrum, maybe works better with the complete spectrum.

In the end i think that the svs app included in the price is a very handy tool, even forgetting about the DSP ... with a touch in your phone you can change a preset to movie / music, mute, etc.

weasels

well, i think you're wrong, or using the wrong hypothesis / arguments only taking size / spl and your particular case to justify the price between both products.

but, ok, is what you think about it. Done.

You seem to think I'm saying the exact opposite of what I'm saying.

"Done."

rcstevensonaz

You're right, but ... 450 usd ... adds 50% to the price. You can use REW to analyze the frequency response and configure up to 3 peq points with the included svs DSP. Surely a decent solution. ... In the end i think that the svs app included in the price is a very handy tool, even forgetting about the DSP ... with a touch in your phone you can change a preset to movie / music, mute, etc.
I don't disagree that the SVS could be a handy (or even great) feature; especially if someone doesn't already have a whole-room correction system in place.

I did want to observe that some hardware DSP solutions have 4 separate channels as a counter to your observation that the sub processing could not be separated out from the mains processing.

And of course, most people who already have whole room DSP correction (such as DDRC-24) do not want their sub adding in yet another AD/DSP/DA cycle.

mike70

Yes, if you already have something like Dirac (totally automatic DRC) ... the svs DSP can be useless.

If you use something more "manual", you can cut the frequency spectrum and use the svs peq in bass response and the other settings in the high response. They can be integrated, if you prefer in other words.

There's not an universal answer ... this hobby is a mess :)

Reactions: wje

tecnogadget

Yes, if you already have something like Dirac (totally automatic DRC) ... the svs DSP can be useless.

If you use something more "manual", you can cut the frequency spectrum and use the svs peq in bass response and the other settings in the high response. They can be integrated, if you prefer in other words.

There's not an universal answer ... this hobby is a mess :)

Why usless ? You can still take advantage of those free 3 PEQ filters. Imagine you have between 1 to 3 really nasty, high in level, and sharp in amplitude peaks. You use those 3 available PEQ filters to pre-shape the response before Dirac does its job.
By the way, all existing Dirac hardware (avr’s, pre and amps) is very limited in resolution (number of taps per channel), specially in the low frequency department. So those 3 PEQ provided by SVS means a lot.

mike70

Why usless ? You can still take advantage of those free 3 PEQ filters. Imagine you have between 1 to 3 really nasty, high in level, and sharp in amplitude peaks. You use those 3 available PEQ filters to pre-shape the response before Dirac does its job.
By the way, all existing Dirac hardware (avr’s, pre and amps) is very limited in resolution (number of taps per channel), specially in the low frequency department. So those 3 PEQ provided by SVS means a lot.

i don't have experience with Dirac :) ... but, ok, so the svs DSP it's even more welcome.

sharock

Thoughts on this vs SB1000 Pro if space is not really a problem? Although, a smaller box would look nicer, the larger one can fit.

The difference in cost between the models here in the UK would mean I can afford an SB1000 Pro and miniDSP DDRC-24 to get Dirac. Alternatively, I'd have to integrate the 3000 Micro with REW.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts on this vs SB1000 Pro if space is not really a problem? Although, a smaller box would look nicer, the larger one can fit.

The difference in cost between the models here in the UK would mean I can afford an SB1000 Pro and miniDSP DDRC-24 to get Dirac. Alternatively, I'd have to integrate the 3000 Micro with REW.

Then I'd get the 1000. But aren't there cheaper EU alternatives?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Read the previous page of this thread.

tecnogadget

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Combined response - Audyssey on - 80HZ XO with the Sub on. See the reduced dip compared to without the sub above at the 50hz to 80hz mark. Speakers now sound MUCH fuller but I'll be trying out some more changes to check if that can be improved further. Have been really struggling with matching the sub XO with both speakers. When I align one the other develops a dip, so I just found one that both speakers have a middle ground in terms of dips and cancellations.
View attachment 140016

Looks like you could easily increase the level of the sub at least 3dB. 100-800hz appears to be higher in level than 20-100hz, it should be the other way around.

jgiannakas

Looks like you could easily increase the level of the sub at least 3dB. 100-800hz appears to be higher in level than 20-100hz, it should be the other way around.
Yeap. But I’m using audysseys dynamic EQ which does the trick so have chosen not to apply a house curve :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Biblob

mike70

deciding the sound quality of a sub based on SPL is certainly debatable ... and a sealed sub tends to have less output than an open design.
is like buying a car based in MPH.

Top Bottom