• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
deciding the sound quality of a sub based on SPL is certainly debatable ... and a sealed sub tends to have less output than an open design.
is like buying a car based in MPH.
Sure, ported designs often have more output <50hz. But the thing is, bass distortion is not something that is easily detected. And because of the sealed design, there are no issues with port chuffing etc. But I don't believe the SVS PB series have this problem though.

For folks in Europe that want a relatively small sub for a sub €600 price, the Kef and the Q Acoustics Q B12 are options worth to try. But the SB-1000 pro seems the biggest competitor, beacuse of it similar performance but smaller size and great support.

mike70

agree with you ... a great competitor to the 3000 micro it's the SB-2000.

Last edited:

Hart

deciding the sound quality of a sub based on SPL is certainly debatable ... and a sealed sub tends to have less output than an open design.
is like buying a car based in MPH.
I agree for the most part, most of the theater guys are only concerned with dB output. I do think a sub needs to have real output to at least 25 hz though to be effective.

fcracer

Forum Donor
The price for this subwoofer in China is an eye-watering USD$2,100 equivalent (14,000 CNY) and totally sold out. Must be quite the subwoofer!

mike70

and ... someone listens to the sb1000 pro and the 3000 micro?

There's an appreciable difference?
Measurements says sb1000 can have a fuller low bass ...

mike70

Well, now I'm into the 3000 micro club :)

A great complement to my kef R3 speakers ... a kind of "loudness" mode to hear at low volumes.
Even the soundstage is bigger and more clear and focused. Recommended.

mike70

Well, I just noticed a price bump of 100$/€ (MSRP is now 899$/1099€)...:confused:

Yes, it was notified in the SVS web page ... another reason I bought it in September.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am rather pleased with the KEF Kube8b in my second system. The far more expensive B&W PV1d in my main system has recently broken down and for now the little Kube8b has been moved to the main system (with Quad 2805 stats) and acquitting itself quite well, with a measured flat response down to about 20Hz. I paid 379 euros for it a year ago but it has now gone up to 440 euros. Its bigger brother the KEF Kube12b currently sells for 600 euros in the Netherlands. These subs are relatively compact (not supercompact) and look smart in a modern interior. My biggest gripe is that the auto on/off is not quite sensitive enough on the line input. I have to turn up the volume a bit at first for it to switch on.

R12rex

I was fortunate enough to purchase mine for under $600 ($588 to be exact). At this price point it was a no brainer for me considering I do not have much space under my desk for a sub. Given its size, it sounds remarkable, tight, controlled bass, and quite musical (not nearly as much so as my Rythmik subs though in all regards). I am quite pleased with the sub, the footprint is perfect and it definitely hits low for its size! Love the fact that it produces no vibrations and the app is great for easy setup without getting up from my sweet spot. This replaced a Rel Tzero mkiii which was wonderful for its size as well, but just didn’t dig deep enough for my desktop musical needs. The SVS integrated seamlessly and punches with authority for its small size. I am very happy with this little guy, especially for the price I paid. One day I will upgrade to another Rythmik sub (space allowing) but in the meantime this is perfect!

Daka

Well, now I'm into the 3000 micro club :)

A great complement to my kef R3 speakers ... a kind of "loudness" mode to hear at low volumes.
Even the soundstage is bigger and more clear and focused. Recommended.
Nice to hear (pun intended). I’ve got R3 as well.
I’m waiting for my 2 micro to be delivered either tomorrow or Friday. Replacing 2 SVS sb1000 pros that didn’t fit in the front anymore and moved them to the back. Micros will fit in the front so should be more pleasing and tighter bass. With two I’m hoping it should easily get to 20hz if not lower.

mike70

Nice to hear (pun intended). I’ve got R3 as well.
I’m waiting for my 2 micro to be delivered either tomorrow or Friday. Replacing 2 SVS sb1000 pros that didn’t fit in the front anymore and moved them to the back. Micros will fit in the front so should be more pleasing and tighter bass. With two I’m hoping it should easily get to 20hz if not lower.

My listening room is small (150 sq feet) and one micro is thunderous (when is needed) or only a smooth bass complement. Very good.

Daka

My listening room is small (150 sq feet) and one micro is thunderous (when is needed) or only a smooth bass complement. Very good.
Mine is little bit bigger, but I found same with sb1000 pro - plenty of power, more than room can handle really, the only reason to go with two is smoother base response - something that I needed to hear myself to understand the subtle yet addictive difference.

mike70

Mine is little bit bigger, but I found same with sb1000 pro - plenty of power, more than room can handle really, the only reason to go with two is smoother base response - something that I needed to hear myself to understand the subtle yet addictive difference.

Ok, please, share what you find with one against two :)

The 1000 pro measurements are a little better in the very low bass, I think you need to save some space to locate two subs, right?

Daka

Ok, please, share what you find with one against two :)

The 1000 pro measurements are a little better in the very low bass, I think you need to save some space to locate two subs, right?
Actually I have two sb1000 pros but went from Ambeo to full setup and had to cram my subs in the rear, which is ok I guess but general feeling is worse compared to when they were in the front. Could be partially due to SVS wireless transmitter.
Micro should provide snappier, quicker base response, more power only downside won't extend as low as sb1000 pro. Which I actually don't mind with neighbours next doors and my partner not being big fan either. Plus they look really nice.

SS55

Actually I have two sb1000 pros but went from Ambeo to full setup and had to cram my subs in the rear, which is ok I guess but general feeling is worse compared to when they were in the front. Could be partially due to SVS wireless transmitter.
Micro should provide snappier, quicker base response, more power only downside won't extend as low as sb1000 pro. Which I actually don't mind with neighbours next doors and my partner not being big fan either. Plus they look really nice.
Can you explain what you mean by quicker and snappier bass? Do you mean lack of bass below 40hz or quicker bass as in the subwoofer reproduces 70hz instead of 60hz

Daka

Can you explain what you mean by quicker and snappier bass? Do you mean lack of bass below 40hz or quicker bass as in the subwoofer reproduces 70hz instead of 60hz
Construction of micro is much more sophisticated plus it’s a smaller woofer as well which means it can move faster in less boomy more controllable way that translates into detail and clarity. For movies that would not be an issue as ported subs are all about being boomy but for music it’s better to be controlled and quick to integrate well with speakers - better speakers you have better sub you need.

Daka

Also mind that more powerful subwoofers that go lower are designer and should be used in dedicated spaces without stuff that will rattle like windows and with properly installed base traps otherwise it will make you nauseous very quick and therefore will be very unpleasant. You can always dial it down but what would be the point of buying big sub. So small subs -> living room, big subs home theater rooms.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Looks like the old Sunfire:

View attachment 119020
I hope it sounds better. A lot of years have passed, so a good chance. A small box, fits under a desk. I am sure some will try to use it for a HT special effects and criticize it without respecting the laws of physics and the price. Sunfire was clever enough to include a HP crossover.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Construction of micro is much more sophisticated plus it’s a smaller woofer as well which means it can move faster in less boomy more controllable way that translates into detail and clarity. For movies that would not be an issue as ported subs are all about being boomy but for music it’s better to be controlled and quick to integrate well with speakers - better speakers you have better sub you need.
Daka, I believe you have some misconceptions. Faster? It is a sub. It has a frequency response. Most sub drivers can easily produce 300 Hz at X-max. You are crossing them at 80 or so. Do not confuse the mid-bass where the impact comes from with what the sub does. That's magazine reviewer double speak. Poor impact is more often pushing the mains too hard as they don't have the correct high pass filter on them or are just not up to the job.

Ported subs need not be boomy. Only badly designed ones are. We learned this in the early 60's thanks to Theil and Small. Too small a box typically to get a big hump to make the uninformed think they go deeper. Failure to control excursion another common fault. ( Yes, subs should have a HIGH PASS filter on them just as tweeters should have a LOW PASS filter on them.

I do prefer Critical Q subs as they blend with room gain better as second order rather than third, but much bigger. Actually , anything below .7 is OK, A lot won't go below .6 no matter how large the box. Ports big enough for no noise and no resonance issues can get quite impractical. Otherwise BP4 and 6 have some advantages. Just too hard to pull off.

Top Bottom