• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Survey:What kind of products do you want in 2019?From S.M.S.L

Bluess

A DAP with dual 9038 pro (Android OS) supporting streaming service like Tidal, Spotify (offline mode as well), balance headphone and line out 4.4mm + 2.5mm, modular amp design with large space to implement better amp design without limitation due to small spaces like iBasso or Fiio, replace and modding friendly like DX200.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's a premium product. I would pay a lot for all of that in one box.

Think lifestyle product, a Simaudio or Devialet giant killer on a budget.
Perfect modern preamp , a beafy output stage thats configurable so can be matched perfectly with any power amp/powered speakers pls.

Price point though? Might be a isues for the company as it could break their ceiling.

Theres just so many audiophiles out there who would benifit from this type of product. If done right of course.

renan33

Well since the DP3 is quite good as a streamer. It would be a good idea to remove all unnecessary items in it (Dac ...) and sell a DP3 steamer only shipper!

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An SMSL headphone amplifier without TPA6120A2 would be great.

Wombat

Master Contributor
No USB power supply issues. One of the most common issues on ASR.

SiW

A standalone BT 5.0, Wifi, and LAN enabled data streamer that has Co-axial, Optical and USB outputs to standard DACs.

Its a sorely missing product on the hifi market as far as I am concerned as it will open up a lot of possibilities to have such connectivity.

+1 for this!

If it could also upscale that would be a bonus :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
It's a premium product. I would pay a lot for all of that in one box.

Think lifestyle product, a Simaudio or Devialet giant killer on a budget.

I don't agree - it's like buying a car with all the equipment included. That doesn't make sense even in premium segment. Features that are not common for DACs functionality should be optional and I strongly believe we (consumers) should send such message to the manufacturers.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
This is my dream.

A minimalist dac focused on pure performance (SNR and distortion) and still relatively low price, to be paired with the Massdrop THX798 amp.

Top shelf AKM or ESS Pro (AKM 4499 best right now?), whatever gives best performance (including intermodulation distortion on lower levels)
Pop free operation (startup, shutdown, sample rate change)
AES3, SPDIF, USB inputs
XLR output (balanced)
No volume control.
If possible variable output gains with jumper on-board. 2V output on balanced XLR would be cool to match THX789 input sensitivity on gain3.
Black case. No screen.
Clocking scheme making it possible to run several dacs in a multichannel system without drifting out of synch over time.

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
This is my dream.

A minimalist dac focused on pure performance (SNR and distortion) and still relatively low price, to be paired with the Massdrop THX798 amp.

Top shelf AKM or ESS Pro (AKM 4499 best right now?), whatever gives best performance (including intermodulation distortion on lower levels)
Pop free operation (startup, shutdown, sample rate change)
AES3, SPDIF, USB inputs
XLR output (balanced)
No volume control.
If possible variable output gains with jumper on-board. 2V output on balanced XLR would be cool to match THX789 input sensitivity on gain3.
Black case. No screen.
Clocking scheme making it possible to run several dacs in a multichannel system without drifting out of synch over time.
Agreed on all points!
And low power consumption.
External switching power supply would be perfectly ok too, no need for an integrated linear power supply.

Last edited:

bigx5murf

I would like an updated version of the SD-192 pro. Cheap basic optical DAC, would be perfect with chromecast audio, and for hooking stuff up to a flat screen TV.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Agreed on all points!
And low power consumption.
External switching power supply would be perfectly ok too, no need for an integrated linear power supply.

Yes, this dac is missing on the market right now, as far as I know. The affordable SOTA dac that is perfect match with the Massdrop THX789 amp.
Looking at the sales of the THX-amp, there is a nice market opportunity here, I think (if performance and price gets just right).
SMSL can do it, I hope! Maybe even in collaboration with Massdrop? Then the cases could match 100% visually.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
+1 for this!

If it could also upscale that would be a bonus :)
That will put it in a completely different price bracket altogether.

And upscaling is an extremely niche product, in an already niche market. Quite sure even for people like Chord, their DAC's outsell the upscalers at least 10:1. Probably even more.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
It is December now, the 2019 is coming soon.
k
This year thank you for amir‘s efforts, let us know more about the product.And help us to find out and solve the problem.
Thanks for all the guy here.

In the new year,we will continue to release new products. We hope you love the product.

But, we need the sound of all your here.We need your suggestion.
How is the product is your looking for? The color? What chip? The design? What Input? What output? Or any other suggestion?

And i will pick up one person to send one gift on 15th January 2019. Thanks for all your love here.
Hi Mandy,

I think something like the SU 8 but using maybe a pair of AK4497 or AK4499. Keep the same features set and connectivity but more steps in the volume control and a larger display. Similar form factor and a relativity budget price would be nice also.

zephyros

I concur on a dedicated streaming device and an AKM DAC that get rid of IMD hump.
Personally I would want a budget power amp. Amir testing hasn't found a good one yet.

Biblob

For me a product like the Su-8 seems great, or the Idea for mobile. It's just the quality control and/or design checks that make it hard to recommend these products without an 'if'. I know this is not a feature, but I'd hope to see some more effort in this regard.

flipflop

I want a Topping DX3 Pro that doesn't make clicking sounds, doesn't fry your earbuds, doesn't have a remote control and bluetooth connectivity, and has a 6.3 mm headphone output and small, subtle LEDs instead of the big, yellow display.
$200 or less.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
CS43198/43131 based devices please. I can predict there will be a lot of AKM implementations in 2019 and SMSL will face a lot of rivals. If you offer some high quality Cirrus Logic products you can probably have a firm position in that product line.

Those are a tough sell in a less than informed market. Unless you have a marquee brand label already, people are gonna react to it with plenty of skepticism for starters. Much less buy them.

Top Bottom