• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Surprise findings on Ethernet cables/cleaners/reclockers

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not quite the case here. Finding an objective way to demonstrate a result that's already established using different methods is proper science. Eric took the objective approach to trying to prove an outlandish audiophile claim, and demonstrated that the claim about reduced noise and jitter was incorrect. He did it in the way that did not rely on a specific DAC or a streamer device, which is an improvement on the method that uses the output of a DAC, as that can only be claimed to be valid for those DAC(s) that were tested.
Okay, so maybe I was a bit unfair. For me personally, I don't see any point in doing these experiments that obviously can't bring any performance improvements.

The only thing these experiments are good for is to show people that don't understand the technology that what they hear is not real. It's like strapping a flat earther to a rocket and sending them to space. Sadly, when they come back, they still find reasons to not believe what they saw... I predict that here it will be no different.

Seems like I'm repeating myself https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cables-cleaners-reclockers.38371/post-1351513 :facepalm:o_O;)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so maybe I was a bit unfair. For me personally, I don't see any point in doing these experiments that obviously can't bring any performance improvements.

The only thing these experiments are good for is to show people that don't understand the technology that what they hear is not real. It's like strapping a flat earther to a rocket and sending them to space. Sadly, when they come back, they still find reasons to not believe what they saw... I predict that here it will be no different.

That's no different than testing power cables or audiophile fuses. The result is predictable, but if the published tests can help convince at least one individual to question manufacturer's claims or to question the collective audiophile "wisdom", then it was not a waste. Especially if the person being convinced is the one doing the tests :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's no different than testing power cables or audiophile fuses. The result is predictable, but if the published tests can help convince at least one individual to question manufacturer's claims or to question the collective audiophile "wisdom", then it was not a waste. Especially if the person being convinced is the one doing the tests :)
All good. Except that I still do not agree with the original quote (not yours):
It is only through such people that science is where it is now!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All good. Except that I still do not agree with the original quote (not yours):
I think the idea was that mavericks advance science by illustrating fallacies. Which is sort of true, sometimes. Some proof of credibility is key.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the idea was that mavericks advance science by illustrating fallacies. Which is sort of true, sometimes. Some proof of credibility is key.
Maybe contribute to science education :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe contribute to science education :)
Yes. Although some people will still cast stones, from sheer perversity or economic interest.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've yet to see a measurement where this improvement is demonstrated including from the manufacturer of EtherREGEN.

For me, any addition of extra noise and distortion to the output of a DAC is an undesirable result of adding nearly $6000 worth of equipment, but I guess others may still want to pay extra for a less transparent, more veiled playback ;)
;)

To be clear, I think audiophiles should all prefer WiFi.
1) No ground loops
2) No worries about cable topology
3) No need for cable lifters
4) No worry about dielectric, skin effect, cable materials, connector corrosion
5) Has it’s own version of Ken Ishiwata, Nelson Pass, Franco Serblin in Hedy Lamarr

DonR

Major Contributor
;)

To be clear, I think audiophiles should all prefer WiFi.
1) No ground loops
2) No worries about cable topology
3) No need for cable lifters
4) No worry about dielectric, skin effect, cable materials, connector corrosion
5) Has it’s own version of Ken Ishiwata, Nelson Pass, Franco Serblin in Hedy Lamarr
Looking forward to a new market in audiophile WiFi antennas.:D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to a new market in audiophile WiFi antennas.:D
Well, you asked:

:facepalm:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least they haven't stolen my idea of audiophile air yet.
They came very close though. A company called LessLoss sells a product called Blackbody which is an ambient field conditioner, that addresses electromagnetic noise in the air.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's about time. I hate listening in air that the hoi-polloi have been breathing, let alone all the other filthy things the lower classes do with it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the Netherlands they sell something called “gebakken lucht” :p

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Well, you asked:

:facepalm:
I started reading and couldn't stop myself. Each to their own, but this feels like a very sad waste of effort to me. Changing the PSU capacitors in a router does not feel necessary.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started reading and couldn't stop myself. Each to their own, but this feels like a very sad waste of effort to me. Changing the PSU capacitors in a router does not feel necessary.
I think the whole process of audiophile routers, wired or wireless, is a sad waste of effort.

(Edit: And this is coming from someone who *believes* in sound signature…)

Last edited:
Top Bottom