• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Surge suppressors: Are SurgeX units the best available?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Soon to receive a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8Cs, I became concerned last week about powering them from the wall sockets of our Manhattan apartment. (I do not want the 8Cs to suffer damage when, for instance, a dishwasher is turned on in our neighbor's place.) I have a ten-year-old Furman power strip with surge protection, but I have doubts about the effectiveness of this old unit.

In response, I dropped $400 on a SurgeX SA-1810. It seems like a solid device that will find use somewhere in our home, but is it enough? Are other companies making better products?

In anticipation of a few possible responses:

• I do not think a huge amount of current will be needed for the 8Cs: they run on Class D power, and I will not be pushing them to their limit. We don't have 20-amp outlets anyway, and getting them installed in our building would cost a fortune.
  • I do not need sequencing; the 8Cs will be fed an AES signal from an outboard USB interface connected to my laptop or, perhaps in the near future, a Mac Mini.
  • Audiophile power products full of black tubes that cost $7,000 are a nonstarter. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The best defense against power surges is a whole house SPD (Surge Protection Device) installed right at the mains entrance to your home/apartment. The reason is that the surge energy needs to be dumped some place and that is the ground. There is no better ground than the one right at your meter. It is the lowest impedance. If you put it at an outlet regardless of device type, the ground impedance is too high to do much good.

Most power companies can put in a device right inside the meter and that is what I have. I think it cost $300 installed.

Series mode SPDs like the SurgeX work but their current absorbing ability is heavily limited to whole house unit above. An external surge created by lightning has incredible amount of power that will blow past these. Since you already have it, I would just augment it with a whole use unit.

JBNY

I've had a few lightning strikes in my area that have damaged my audio equipment. The worse strike did a little over 12K worth of damage. Insurance took care of everything, but at the time I had power surge protection on everything. What I learned was, almost always the surge came in via the TV cable line, took out the connected piece of equipment and then went one level down and took out everything that was connected to the unit with the TV cable connected (eg Tivo), also came in through the Ethernet cable and cascaded through there. But I still had a few things get hit that had no Ethernet or Cable TV connected.

Anyway, surge protectors that did not work (meaning I had damaged equipment) were, monster, belkin, tripplite, and other cheap HD type. The only one that did not fail was Panamax. I eventually replaced all my surge protectors with Panamax and so far (10+years) I have been ok.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
ZeroSurge, SurgeX and BrickWall use the same series-mode protection system.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
I rencently bought a "recertified" Surgex XR 315 because it was cheap (230 $ CND = roughly 25 US $ or 13 euros :p) I tought for the price, it would offer good protection to my modest stereo. Now for the weird part : I THINK (!) my stereo sounds much better than before, I can hear stuff that I could only hear with my headphones (Sennheiser HD 800). How is it possible ? Am I crazy ?! It's a surge supressor ?!?!? I am almost tempted to buy another one and send it to Amir for "measurement" (if it can be measured !).

Could it have anything to do with the fact that my stereo used to be plugged into this : http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Power filter/PowerEN.htm

By the way, I am SO glad I stumbled upon this forum !! It's like an oasis of sanity in the crazy world of audio.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum PappyBlue.

As to your question, we are so conditioned, pun intended :), to think these devices clean up power that we are inclined to read that into the sound produced. But yes, I am happy to measure the effect if you loan me one. :)

RLA111

Welcome to the forum PappyBlue.

As to your question, we are so conditioned, pun intended :), to think these devices clean up power that we are inclined to read that into the sound produced. But yes, I am happy to measure the effect if you loan me one. :)

I’m curious – were these measurements ever done? Although I wouldn’t expect a material difference, curiosity still drives me to wonder.

Also, although it a little hard to tell from this photo, At first glance, the teardown of the SurgeX and ZeroSurge look like they may use different components, even though the design is exactly the same (caps are different). This came from the article https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-surge-protector/ which is worth a read.

785EA6B0-B54B-4FEB-859E-79BB95A17A59.jpeg

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My apartament has a SPD at the main. Rather sensitive one, can be a bit annoying but i guess it is for my own good.

Here in Brazil the options for surge protectors are rather limited, there are like 2 decent ones (Clamper and Upsai).

I would like to buy a fancy american one, but they are only 110v and here is 220v. European ones would work voltage wise, but quite hard to find plug adaptors from european grounded standard to brazilian grounded, although our 2 plug standard is the same of Europe.

raindance

Major Contributor
My understanding, working for a Surgex reseller, was that they held the patent originally but it expired a few years ago and others were then allowed to build using the same design concept. Middle Atlantic has reasonably priced series mode solutions now.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Somehow missed this thread....I have the SurgeX 1810, the SEQ (available in 220v, BTW), and an EnvisionIC on my main PC.
Admittedly ended up with SurgeX b/c I got tired of reading useless 'reviews' and 'tests'....good to know about ZeroSurge, anyway.
I'm not too concerned about lightning, but have had a couple of instances of nearby substations 'blowing', as well as surge/brown-outs during storms.
Originally got the 1810 b/c of unbalanced audio noise (which it did help with), but now have all balanced.
Got the SEQ as much for it's AC switching as anything else.
The Envision, however, does do something interesting: during (fairly rare) storm power 'blinks' (those flickers that usually happen before a hard outage) it maintains AC just long enough for my PC to shut down safely, rather than just a power 'yank'.
Would be interested in more thorough testing, too.

ck42

Forum Donor
Surge protection is like an onion...three different levels, each protecting in different ways, from different things

D

Deleted member 17887

I've had a few lightning strikes in my area that have damaged my audio equipment. The worse strike did a little over 12K worth of damage. Insurance took care of everything, but at the time I had power surge protection on everything. What I learned was, almost always the surge came in via the TV cable line, took out the connected piece of equipment and then went one level down and took out everything that was connected to the unit with the TV cable connected (eg Tivo), also came in through the Ethernet cable and cascaded through there. But I still had a few things get hit that had no Ethernet or Cable TV connected.

Anyway, surge protectors that did not work (meaning I had damaged equipment) were, monster, belkin, tripplite, and other cheap HD type. The only one that did not fail was Panamax. I eventually replaced all my surge protectors with Panamax and so far (10+years) I have been ok.

Could you please clarify when that happened was your TV using "cable TV" or a rooftop antenna?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you please clarify when that happened was your TV using "cable TV" or a rooftop antenna?
The post to which you replied was from 2018, so that user may be long gone from ASR.

I will note that I bought a Furman/Panamax PST-6 in January, and it has already failed. The surge protection light does not come on, supposedly signifying that the unit's sacrificial surge protection has been used.

I have Zero Surges on all my expensive stuff now.

D

Deleted member 17887

The post to which you replied was from 2018, so that user may be long gone from ASR.

I will note that I bought a Furman/Panamax PST-6 in January, and it has already failed. The surge protection light does not come on, supposedly signifying that the unit's sacrificial surge protection has been used.

I have Zero Surges on all my expensive stuff now.

Thanks. I picked up a Brickwall and a Surgex and now have them on the 2 important systems at home.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just some data on the Brickwall product.

Curve 1 is filtering during regular operation using 2µf capacitor and large inductor (attenuation is 3dB for 3kHz, 38dB for 100kHz, >50dB 300kHz). The additional series circuit with a 180µf capacitor, representing curve 2, will kick in when the surge is 2V above 170V, and higher voltages will cause 3 and 4 to come in.

1598901937191.png

Taken from this oldstyle internet page here: http://www.sellcom.com/brickwall/index.html

Top Bottom