• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Surf Music ……...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
22339307_10212512182233319_362895131607960608_o.jpg

Martin Takamine

Back in 1978, growing up on Oahu, surfing the dawn patrol then watching "Many Classic Moments" at Pearlridge. One of the best surfer's surf movie, here's one from the soundtrack.
Kalapana - The Ultimate

600_OHM

EVERY time I went to the beach as a kid I always heard - The Seeds - and loved this! :

Sky Saxon rocking it!

600_OHM

Dylan - a surf song? That's what Lay Lady Lay was for me as a very young kid. Still is.

Either out of my 9v transistor radio, or somebody's box they brought to the beach just far enough away that the music is floating across the surface of the sand and wind....

Can you feel that relaxing wavy type of sound emulating a gentle beach breeze? The smell of ocean air and seaweed? Gawking at those surfer dudes with their long-boards just ripping it out there - while you sit with your tuna sandwich, glancing over at their goddess-like surfer girlfriends as a little kid?

Just so young to be innocent enough to not know what the words really meant, but for some reason you can't stop staring at all that flowing blond hair in the wind? And being so young that when the dudes came out of the surf, they weren't going to beat your *ss?

This is etched into my heart as the ultimate surf song...

Last edited:

600_OHM

How about another non-cliche surf song? Santana "Samba Pa Ti" - before it got played at nearly every wedding you ever went to...

The key was the Hammond organ and the *spinning Leslie speakers* that put the whole thing into perspective sitting on the sand. Wow.

Again - as a kid I'd hear this wafting down the beach from somebody else's system a few hundred yards away, or on my 9v transistor radio. The waves of sound just slightly shifting as the wind and temperature changed just a hair...

The cool beach breeze, the goddess-like girlfriends of the surfers which I would later take interest in, maybe the smell of a little Ban-de-Soleil lotion here and there. Sometimes that funky burny papery smell, but it wasn't incense. It wasn't trash. What IS that burning smell?

Right along with Dylan, Carlos Santana is always my go-to for closing my eyes and going back to that time - too young to have any troubles or cares ...

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1654375997486.png
1654376029143.png
1654376053852.png
1654376072799.png
1654376093375.png
1654376114909.png
1654376161708.png

Open the link above to reviews of many NEW Surf bands

600_OHM

Heh, yeah I guess my version of surf music wasn't the classic sound, but what was coming out of my radio while I was there. I suppose mid/late 60's...

The 13th floor elevators "You're Gonna Miss Me" got a lot of airplay. Maybe more inline, although they were thought of as a psychadelic band.

I was on a different end of the beach I guess with their choice of surf music. Lots of Santana, Donavan, Dylan rather than the classic sound.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amazing what ASR causes to surface in my memory.
The Ventures! And Hawaii Five-O, recently re-run on SABC, maybe still on now, sometimes I hear the theme tune while i'm not there in the room. And i didn't know it was The Ventures.
........2020? 2010? I thought it was older than that, maybe mixed up with Magnum PI. I did see that is a new series.
It wasn't the Ventures.

On this date May 3, 1968 the tracks for "Hawaii 5-0" were recorded at Western Recorders, The theme song was written by Morton Stevens, arranged by George Tipton, and produced by Dave Pell.

Although credited to The Ventures, the original theme was recorded by members of The Wrecking Crew and others. Among those playing on the track were:

John Guerin-drums
Ray Pohlman-bass
Jim Horn-sax
Tom Scott-sax
Gene Estes-percussion (tympani)
Tommy Tedesco-lead guitar ( recorded at a separate session on August 8, 1968)

Zaireeka

Top Bottom