• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Supreme Court appears skeptical of Apple's arguments in App Store monopoly case

Wombat

Major Contributor
The trouble is, even if you manage to find a NOS 'genuine' battery, it will likely be 7 or 8 years old. Li-Ion cells of that age, regardless of how they have stored will likely be not much good at all.

I went through that exercise with 'genuine' IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad NOS batteries, and some Galaxy Note III batteries, only to find they had diminished capacity and a short life as they were already past their design life. Li-Ion deteriorates whether it is used or not.

The only Li-Ion cells I have had excellent long life with, have been the Japanese manufactured cells in Nikon and Canon cameras of around 10 years ago. They never seem to die.

I would think you would be better off with a recently manufactured clone.
I have a recent clone. The 8 y.o. one outperforms it. Typical of most battery clones.

Ron Texas

It used to be if we bought something it came without restrictions. I think the "you did not have to buy it" argument has outlived its usefulness. There are big issue with the right to repair. Just check the news for John Deere tractors. The digital world allows manufacturers to put all kinds of locks on their products and the DMCA makes picking these locks illegal, unless an exception is granted by the Library of Congress. Don't assume that because it was "that way" in the past that it will continue into the future. You may have noticed the Supreme Court recently overturned a long standing precedent about collecting sales tax because e-commerce made it obsolete.

I'm not sure how the App Store can be considered a monopoly when the Play Store and other digital stores for apps exist. Maybe I'm missing here though

Ron Texas

I'm not sure how the App Store can be considered a monopoly when the Play Store and other digital stores for apps exist. Maybe I'm missing here though
Easy, with an ios device everything must come from the App Store. With an Android device one may use the Play Store or side load apps from anywhere.

JJB70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it's an issue then there is the option of just not buying Apple devices. There are plenty of Android alternatives, the only thing that will really take Apple notice is if people vote with their feet and go elsewhere to buy their devices. If their customers are happy to buy into their whole controlled ecosystem approach in spite of there being an alternative then why should they change? I'm the odd one out in our family as I use a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet and Android phone whereas the wife and kids are obsessed with Apple.

Top Bottom