• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Supra Lorad 3x2.5 SPC - Why cut the drain-wire at one end

Wombat

Master Contributor
It breaks the BS screen loop??? :facepalm:

If connected at both ends the screen may fuse under fault current if its rating is much less than the earth/ground conductor - which is most likely.
Hard to be definite without impedance specs.

Electric kettle/jug power leads rule. :)

Last edited:
OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Hehe... well I don’t know the specs. I found this info about the nylon screen.

Semiconducting Nylon Screen provides improved shielding properties, bending strength, environmental immunity, higher tensile strength and less microphonic effect. The Nylon screen is connected with a drain-wire. Supra have tested and evaluated all known types of screens for making such a good cable as possible. SUPRA’s semi-conductive Nylon screen was the only one that passed the safety requirements and, moreover, its shielding properties was best in test. The cable must be connected to a wall socket with a ground terminal for the full LoRad effect. The benefits of LoRad have been established for some time now - as the cable is one of the few available worldwide that is fully CE approved.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^Because the ready-made ones are made like that.

Ecrimjr

I’ve built a number of these power cables and I’ve always connected the drain wire at both ends. All cables work perfectly and I’ve never had a problem.

Top Bottom