• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spech

61UzmJb+R+L._SX466_.jpg

Build and Comfort:
Build Is all plastic with an attached wire, feels quite cheap because it is cheap these headphones are 25 bucks after all.
Comfort is ok the headband is not padded but is not an issue since the clamp of the headphones is what keeps them on your head which is also quite high but over time gets better, the earpads are round and could have a bigger hole, my ears are medium sized and they touch the top and bottom, the pads are also not that soft.
While comfort is ok, when wearing glasses they can be uncomfortable if you don't position them just right.

Sound:
By default sound is not that good but with EQ it can be brought to quite a good level.
Here's a Freq. Response graph:
asfasfasfasafaasassasaa.PNG

Bass - As can be seen on the graph the bass is very flat but has some rolloff under 30hz, it also doesn't have the best harmonic distorsion but for 25 bucks its pretty damn good.
Mids - Mids are quite flat, slightly recessed around 1k with a small peak at 2.2k, can't really complain about them they are good.
Treble - This is where the biggest issues lie, starting with the 4k-5k area this is where there is a distorsion peak at 4.3k and then a normal peak at 5k as can be seen on the graph, the 5k peak makes vocals very present, and background vocals more present while the distorsion ar 4.3k distorts details and dynamics in a very obvious way, both need to be EQ'd instantly which I did.

After EQ-ing the 4-5k region the sound is much more coherent and enjoyable, but then the treble around 8-10k or maybe even higher becomes another issue one which I have yet to EQ properly. It makes the sound of cymbals and S sounds quite piercing and harsh on music that is not very well recorded and generally pushes cymbals too forward.
Here's the Distorsion graph:
xdddddddd.PNG

Soundstage and Imaging - Soundstage is pretty decent not very wide but not very narrow, Imaging is ok but it improves after EQ.

Speaking of EQ what I did was: using Equalier APO, I added 2 peaking filters with a Q of 3.9 at 4,350hz and 5,000hz with a gain of -3.5db for both which result in them stacking together at -5db which eliminates the 5k peak and lowers the distorsion peak. As for the higher treble peaks I don't know yet how to fix them properly as simply reducing the 8k and 10k peaks doesn't seem to resolve the issue, which makes me think its probably a higher frequency that's causing the harsh trebly sound that these have.

Overall I think these for 25 bucks are a good buy but only if you EQ them, after EQ they can be really good, wouldn't recommend them stock.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is similar to my measurements:

HD681-2018-FR.png

As you can see if you EQ the treble peak as per Rtings you will still have harshness as in that case you do not compensate what needs to be compensated. It is the reason why I think one should not EQ above 4kHz on measurements made with a HATS.

and distortion (90dB) below
Dist-HD681-R-percent.png

You can buy the Superlux Velvet pads which are much more comfy and better in treble:
HD681-pleather-vs-velour.png

with some modifications you can get it to this (without the need to EQ) and no harshness...
modified-HD681.png

Last edited:
OP
S

Spech

Sadly I can't get the Superlux Velvet pads in my country, but even so they don't seem to be doing that much for the freq response.

Last edited:
OP
S

Spech

They are similar to AKG K240 pads.
Which country can't you get Superlux pads in but can buy HD681 ?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_ear_pads_velour.htm
Romania, I can get other Superlux pads but not those, If i buy from Thomann I have to pay like 20 bucks for shipping which sucks considering the pads are like 10 bucks, It would also mean i payed more for that than for the headphones XD.
Anyways I'll just try to EQ them some more for now. I will get new headphones somewhat soon, until then I'll use these.

Oh and the headphones I'll probably get are the CM MH751 (Takstar Pro 82 rebrand) since i can fit those and compontents for a new PC in my budget and I really want a new PC, I don't know if there is a better choice for the price (70$ here) but these are the best I've found.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The CM MH751 is not a rebranded Pro 82. They sound and measure differently. Bass tuning seems to be the biggest difference though. They are clearly related though.

10298117.png

OP
S

Spech

The CM MH751 is not a rebranded Pro 82. They sound and measure differently. Bass tuning seems to be the biggest difference though. They are clearly related though.

10298117.png
Yeah I am aware that they have more bass I don't mind it as its not an extreme difference and besides that I can't get the Takstar's in my country but I can get the CM's so yeah.
After that I am thinking of getting an endgame headphone most likely a planar with good bass exstension like the Audeze LCD 1.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It would be neat to score an LCD 1 :D
You probably meant the LCD-2.

OP
S

Spech

This is probably what @solderdude had in mind.

View attachment 36624
Ye those are the old LCD 1's from 2009, the new ones just came out and they are $399.

I initially wanted to get a pair of Hifiman HE4XX and be done since they seemed like amazing value but I heard there are a lot of build quality issues and quality control issues like the pads desintegrating and various parts of the headphone breaking very fast so I gave up on them.

If I don't find anything better than the LCD 1, then I'll definitely get them, they seem to be really good comfortable lightweight and very easy to drive.

Last edited:
OP
S

Spech

Can't find them here yet... didn't even know they existed
They are not on Thomann for me, but they are on AVstore https://www.avstore.ro/casti-hi-fi/audeze-lcd-1/ altho a little bit more expensive I guess do to shipping costs and such.
I will get more informed about them and read more stuff before I decide to buy them but they seem to be really good, also I highly recommend watching metal571's review of them.
Oh and here's Audeze's page for them: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-1

OP
S

Spech

So I've been looking on RTINGS a lot lately and I've found that these: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/logitech/g533-wireless-gaming-headset measure really well, altho that midrange is a bit funky looking, I am thinking if these could be a better choice than the CM MH751, between the big 5k dip of the MH751 and the smaller but wider 1-2k dip of these Logitech's I wonder which would be the bigger issue, and which is the best choice.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Dutch dealer that carries the Audeze range doesn't have them yet.
It is the budget Audeze so would like to hear and measure one before I can say something about them.

The usual suspects that get these headphones send to them for reviews always have positive things to say.. that's why they send them in... to get guaranteed positive exposure.

I have no idea about the G533.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like that Audeze seem to have made an LCD model which is compact and lightweight, I find the other LCD models to be just too bulky and heavy to be comfortable if listening for any length of time.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Jude on Head-Fi had good things to say about his LCD-1. He also said they measured well on his rig, but he was waiting for them to be released before publishing his measurements.

If they live up to the hype (waiting for Jude to publish his measurements), I'll be getting a pair to see if they can replace my LCD-2F (2016 drivers), which I like a lot but require EQ for neutral response. It would be nice to have that great sound without needing the EQ, in a lighter more comfortable less expensive headphone. Just because the LCD-1 is cheaper doesn't mean it isn't better sonically. Audeze may have poured much of what they've learned over the years into them.

OP
S

Spech

Jude on Head-Fi had good things to say about his LCD-1. He also said they measured well on his rig, but he was waiting for them to be released before publishing his measurements.

If they live up to the hype (waiting for Jude to publish his measurements), I'll be getting a pair to see if they can replace my LCD-2F (2016 drivers), which I like a lot but require EQ for neutral response. It would be nice to have that great sound without needing the EQ, in a lighter more comfortable less expensive headphone. Just because the LCD-1 is cheaper doesn't mean it isn't better sonically. Audeze may have poured much of what they've learned over the years into them.
Interesting, I am absolutely thirsty for more info on the LCD-1, I hope they live up to the hype!

Auron

Hey, I just bought the HD681 B as a temporary replacement for my Grados and I would like some suggestions on some light EQ through Winamp (or some 3rd party EQ sofware if needed) as the sound is unbearable at higher frequencies.
The options offered in the build in EQ of Winamp are for 70/180/320/600/1k/3k/6k/12k/14k/16k and I a now running
3k -2.5
6k -4.8
12k -6.3
14k -6.7
16k -6.7

But sounds far too muted to me however when I try to roll it back the piercing sound returns. Ideas?
Piece used to to try and calibrate is
between 6-9 minutes. Cans are brand new.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Hey, I just bought the HD681 B as a temporary replacement for my Grados and I would like some suggestions on some light EQ through Winamp (or some 3rd party EQ sofware if needed) as the sound is unbearable at higher frequencies.
The options offered in the build in EQ of Winamp are for 70/180/320/600/1k/3k/6k/12k/14k/16k and I a now running
3k -2.5
6k -4.8
12k -6.3
14k -6.7
16k -6.7

But sounds far too muted to me however when I try to roll it back the piercing sound returns. Ideas?
Piece used to to try and calibrate is
between 6-9 minutes. Cans are brand new.

try this https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...-ear_2018/Superlux HD 681B (pleather earpads)

Top Bottom