• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Superlux HD668B Review (headphone)

abm0

Forum Donor
The headphone did not move during this. Unlike your experiment where you just held a phone next to it (never the exact same position) and even worse changed microphones. That measurement can not serve as any evidence.
Considering how treble zigzags are the ones that change the most even with slight repositioning of the measuring rig, that seems to be the fatal flaw of my "measurement", especially since the expected improvement for the 668B is in treble smoothness. I didn't know that at the time or I might have not even bothered to "measure" like that (open cup, phone just partially stuck in there).

Note that this is the only headphone (€ 15,00) I experienced this with.
But to add another remark on number of headphones tested though, one thing 'hard denialists' don't seem to realize is just how hard to prove of a statement they have chosen to defend: you can't just generally claim headphones (or headphone model X) do(es)n't change audibly with break-in until you've tested an absolute s***-ton of them. What if only 10% are improved by break-in? Does it become not-recommendable to new buyers to do a couple of tens of hours of break-in just in case they got one of those units? And how many do you have to test to prove there are far less than 10% that do change? Certainly more than one unit here and there, as has been done so far.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To look at production spread yes, a few headphones out of one or more production runs could give an indication.

From the headphones I tested over the years, owned and heard from new to well used as good as all of them did not change tonality, became 'smoother' or 'tighter' or got more bass. And the ones that did appear to sound different returned to 'normal' after a pad replacement.

Break in... I think more brain-in or pads getting 'softer' over time and compressing more. If headphones would really change audibly then there would be plenty of measurements showing this and a lot of headphones would be afflicted.
Nah... unless someone proves it with hard evidence I can say with a fairly straight face that run-in' of headphones is a non issue.

Feelas

But to add another remark on number of headphones tested though, one thing 'hard denialists' don't seem to realize is just how hard to prove of a statement they have chosen to defend: you can't just generally claim headphones (or headphone model X) do(es)n't change audibly with break-in until you've tested an absolute s***-ton of them. What if only 10% are improved by break-in? Does it become not-recommendable to new buyers to do a couple of tens of hours of break-in just in case they got one of those units?
Except these are your claims that break-in is possible in small speaker cones, which is a debatable subject and that break-in happens due to mechanical changes in cones, which is impossible to claim since you don't know the parts' repeatability. The burden on truth is on you to show at least one example and show how it is sure that the difference is due to that, since you're the one claiming. Now, I get where you're getting at with attacking general classifiers and on that front I'd agree (despite that is just nitpicking), but you're hand-waving here on what exactly happens and why. And then...

... it should be easy to show at least one pair which shows important changes, which can be attributed to burn-in, shouldn't it? This one is hard on the same front as you're pointing out - it requires to establish a good comparison basis, thus you cannot reliably assume that a specific model needs break-in if you haven't tested the whole production run or a numerous sample...

Perception changing due to whatever the head thinks is a known phenomenon for anyone who played around (and heard changes) with a disabled equalizer. Degradation of pads and sound changes due to that + variability of on-head positioning are actually something that happens and causes significant changes in sound. Break-in/burn-in of headphones hasn't been proven nor shown in any reliable scientific publications and in experiments by non-scientific sources it is shown that nothing happens. Maybe because it can't?

As for non-recommendability of breaking in: we're talking placebo and esoterics here, which are utterly harmless unless ones stumbles on the idea that break-in with a very loud signal gives better results (being forced sometimes on the net) and burns the crap out of coils. Seems like a strange ritual. Unless one buys a bullcrap pair of headphones solely on the basis that they "will burn-in", which is similar to buying shoes smaller than you need and finding out that they just won't stretch how you expected.

Good discussion nonetheless.

asdf

From what I've read around, this seems to be the conclusion. A good budget starter headphone in terms of sound after modding and/or EQing. However, I also read that the build, for even the low price that it is, is pretty bad. The argument being that yes it is cheap and not bad after EQ, but just won't last a couple of years.

Interesting review, none-the-less. Thank you.
I have the Samson SR850, which are made from similar plastic parts (mostly the same external parts as the HD681) in the same factory. They may look slightly cheap but after 5 years of regular home use, including the occasional drop and treading on the cable a few times, they still look and work like new, apart from a small amount of wear on the pads. So I would happily recommend someone to buy them, if this is the sound that they want.

bd_heart

Hello guys,

Does anyone have a FR graph comparison between the headphone with default pads vs velour ones?
I am owning this headphone for about 5 years, bought velour pads together with the phone. I replaced the pads in the past, but did not like the sound :rolleyes:, so brought the default pads back. Recently watched a review video, where the reviewer says pads replacement is a must and comments were also full of the same statement. So thinking about changing again. But also would like to see what is the impact of the replacement on the FR.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You like it better with the pleather pads then I would not worry about the velours ones.
Personally I prefer the velours pads (original Superlux velourspads or K240 velour pads).

The differences on other (more or less comparable) models show no big differences but there are some.

For HD681 velours vs pleather
HD681-pleather-vs-velour.png

slightly lower treble peak in velours (as can be expected)

and below HD687 velours and pleather
pleather-vs-velours.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Hello guys,

Does anyone have a FR graph comparison between the headphone with default pads vs velour ones?
I am owning this headphone for about 5 years, bought velour pads together with the phone. I replaced the pads in the past, but did not like the sound :rolleyes:, so brought the default pads back. Recently watched a review video, where the reviewer says pads replacement is a must and comments were also full of the same statement. So thinking about changing again. But also would like to see what is the impact of the replacement on the FR.

bd_heart

Thank you very much!
Pleather seems to be slightly better in mids and worse in highs, if I read it correctly. But no big difference indeed.

P.S. Going to order Shure SRH440 (old one) and HD560S.
Shure for music while working in a noisy environment, HD560S as an upgrade to my Superlux HD668B.
Also ordered E1DA 9038D. Hopefully will get sensible improvement.

bd_heart

One question, do we have a topic here like: "To equalize or not to equalize?!".
I always thought if a headphone needs equalization, then you should not use it. :) Also I thought equalization does not work fine, you try to improve something and break other things. At least I believe that was the case many years ago in consumer market.
But I see some people is deep diving into equalization of their headphones, so may be it's worth it?! :)

staticV3

Master Contributor

bd_heart

That's borderline nonsensical! :D
"If it's cold and you need a blanket, then you should not use one."

That's not how EQ works.

Absolutely it is!
Ok. :)

Do we have a topic where we discuss best tools for EQ on PC\Mobile\etc.?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do we have a topic where we discuss best tools for EQ on PC\Mobile\etc.?

My recommendation:
eqMac or Soundsource for Mac
Equalizer APO for Windows
USB Audio Player Pro or Wavelet or Poweramp EQ for Android
Neutron for iOS

Very handy: the Qudelix 5K Bluetooth DAC+Amp is tiny and has a brilliant, built-in EQ. You can configure your EQ on it, then use that EQ with all your PCs, laptops, and mobile devices without having to faff around with separate EQ software for each.

bd_heart

Already ordered E1DA 9038D, but good idea to have EQ in the DAC. Interesting if Ivan can add EQ in his app some time.

Spyart

I found these ones much better in spatial quality then sennhs 650 when eqed to the same target. Maybe one could recommend me something with similar soundstage but better in quality?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You mean the HD650 vs HD668B ?
Did you mean they were EQ'ed based on measurements on the exact same fixture being used, averaged over multiple seatings and with anything over 8kHz and below 100Hz shelved at most ?

There would be a substantial difference above 8kHz even when EQ'ed as described above and the HD668B would appear to have much more detailed sound that way because the HD650 has no peak at 10kHz and the HD668B has a substantial peak there.
That peak can make a difference in 'spatial' and 'detail' perception but also can bring sharpness. Depending on the individual (preference) this peak could be seen as a positive or negative thing.
One would not believe how many people love Beyerdynamic headphones (the ones with the mount Beyer peak) without any EQ and swear by it.

If you want something decent in build quality and comfort and long term support for a reasonable price and has decent imaging and tonal balance I would say the HD560S (or HD400Pro) would be a good recommendation.

abm0

Forum Donor
USB Audio Player Pro or Wavelet or Poweramp EQ for Android
Not system-wide though, those are just players. ViPER4Android is what you need, but you have to be rooted, or at least to have an unlocked bootloader and a recovery tool installed like TWRP, then you can at least flash V4A as a zip. And it doesn't have a high number of bands or parametric EQ but you can get arbitrary-precision EQ via the convolver function, if you feed it the right equalized impulse response.

But I see some people is deep diving into equalization of their headphones, so may be it's worth it?! :)
If the headphones aren't custom-made for your head shape, ear shape, ear canal shape etc., EQ is absolutely worth it, but it may or may not improve things depending on the EQ profile you apply (non-personalized generic solutions like Oratory profiles, ToneBoosters profiles etc. may not provide an improvement for everyone because they know nothing about your ears).

Top Bottom