• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Super tweeters?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dagogo-VSA-Unifield3-1.jpg

This thread reminds me of one of the first high-end speakers I ever heard, the Von Schweikert UniField Model Three. They were described as an augmented one-way speaker. It used a Fostex FX 120 to cover 100Hz to 8kHz. It had a Fountek ribbon tweeter covering up to a claimed 50kHz and used a 7" SEAS magnesium woofer in a transmission line to cover the bottom end. It was a sweet sounding speaker.

Martin

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They could be used to determine if humans can hear past 20 kHz. In the recently active 8 page thread on that, none of the invective laden responders bothered to ask themselves if the speakers used in the studies had responses > 20 kHz.:eek:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pair of prototype NXT super tweeters on top of my Goldmund Epilogs for years. They were designed by a friend of mine as a technology demonstration for a client and then he gave them to me and set them up by measurement. I heard no difference but left them in place until I swapped my Goldmund pre and power amps for a Devialet. The Goldmund preamp had two outputs, so connecting to the active supertweeter was easy and whilst the Devialet can have a programmed line level output I had no measurement kit to set it up with so I disconnected them and they are on the floor in a corner now.
I can't say I noticed a difference either when my friend installed them (he said he could but he is much younger than me) or when I removed them.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you truly use them as supertweeters (not as a valid solution to a unusually high xover piont for horn mid/tweeters) above 20kHz.
Could they possibly be properly integrated at all ? I've learned that high xo closer distance between drivers.
Something makes you think if your pet bat needs his 40kHz it's better built into your normal tweeter so that a proper acoustical and xover design could be made ?

The Everest DD66000 has an Super Tweeter Crossed at ~20khz. If the Tweeter is covered with an blanket the difference is audible, but to be honest it's very subtle. If it wasn't there you wont miss it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There's some similarity between those who sell digital equipment without reconstruction filters and the carpetbaggers of old. Neither are particularly edifying

S
that was a very diplomatic thing to say ;)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sonny1

When I was in my teens, lack of cash was the only thing stopping me from getting those! Friend had them and was the envy of the neighborhood. Those piercing highs played at ear splitting levels. Not sure which ones he had but they were shiny silver and cool, like little jet engines facing the wrong way. Good times!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that the alignment/positioning of super tweeters is also important and critical in our actual listening environments. My FOSTEX T925As are located in somewhat unique alignment after intensive listening tests as described here.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As shared in my post here, I often use the wonderful "Track-20 High frequency linearity check" of Sony's SUPER AUDIO CHECK CD, which I touched in my specific post here. The Track-20 is really extraordinary recording of "Bimmel Bolle Classic Orgel" sounds like huge European Carillon containing very much powerful, high-energy, high-speed, high frequency bell ring together with wide range 30 Hz - 20 kHz base sound. I usually use this track to check sound and phase of tweeters and super tweeters, as well as total Fq linearity. I have never heard recorded sound having such a high-energy and high-speed high Fq components.

Please simply PM me if you would be really interested in having this "Track-20 High frequency linearity check" and other tracks of the Sony's SUPER AUDIO CHECK CD.

Geert

Major Contributor
They could be used to determine if humans can hear past 20 kHz. In the recently active 8 page thread on that, none of the invective laden responders bothered to ask themselves if the speakers used in the studies had responses > 20 kHz.:eek:
The study I referred to on the first page of that thread uses an MB QUART QM 13.01HX tweeter, which goes to 39,5kHz.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Everest DD66000 has an Super Tweeter Crossed at ~20khz. If the Tweeter is covered with an blanket the difference is audible, but to be honest it's very subtle. If it wasn't there you wont miss it.

The filter is not infinitely steep so it will have an influence down into the audible so you might loose some <20k by not having the supertweeter but if removed you don't have the inevitable comb filtering effect when the driver tries to integrate ?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

However, the reason is not that frequencies above 20kHz are audible (as one might think), but because the super tweeter is implemented with a crossover frequency of 15kHz and a fourth-order filter.

Even at 10kHz, the super-tweeter is "only" 20dB attenuated, so even slightly older listeners should still hear a slight difference when the tweeter is covered by a blanket.
1612967830555.png

Tom C

Major Contributor
However, the reason is not that frequencies above 20kHz are audible (as one might think), but because the super tweeter is implemented with a crossover frequency of 15kHz and a fourth-order filter.

Even at 10kHz, the super-tweeter is "only" 20dB attenuated, so even slightly older listeners should still hear a slight difference when the tweeter is covered by a blanket.
View attachment 111694
Thank you. I was wondering about this exact thing.

Top Bottom