• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Super Skyhawks

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my favourite aircraft has always been the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, an aircraft which would seem impossible in the modern defence industry in having achieved its specification without turning into a monumental bit of over-priced flying bloatware and which was a very pretty little jet. And the best of the series in some ways were the re-engineered A-4SU Super Skyhawks of the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF), the Argentine A-4AR Fightinghawk has a better avionics fit but the A-4SU was re-engined with GE F-404 turbofans with a big boost in thrust. And they had the unique TA-4SU trainers with a double hood arrangement rather than the more normal elongated canopy. I'd wanted to visit the air force museum for a long time but it was closed for COVID, it has re-opened however and is well worth a visit. Located next to Paya Lebar air force base it is easily accessible via public transport and entry is free. Here are a few pictures of Skyhawks, not good pictures but great aircraft.
AF5.jpg
AF14.jpg
AF12.jpg
AF15.jpg
AF17.jpg

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one designed for the USN which found land based operators including the RSAF. The newer RSAF AEW G550 aircraft fly over me regularly (we live quite close to Tengah, under the approach path) and they're a bit of an odd looking beast.

AF4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These need some Wagner playing.....
AF11.jpg
AF16.jpg

Top Bottom