• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sundara on ID4 MKII?

Draculr

I currently am looking for a good mid range headphone to go with my Audient ID4 MKII which currently drives my Genelec 8030C monitors. I'm looking for something that I can throw on mostly for watching tv shows and movies at night, otherwise most critical listening is done on the 8030C's.

I previously owned the HD58x but it sounds so muffled (veiled?) coming from the ultra clarity that the 8030C's provide. I'm looking at a mid range headphone alternative and it seems to come down to the usual bunch of headphones: Focal Elex, DT1990, HD600, HD660s and the Sundara.

I think the Sundara would match my preferences the most of all but it also may run into issues on my interface due to it's low impedance whereas the other headphones on the list would be fine. Should I be worried or will the ID4 MKII be alright with the Sundara?

If not, which of the other mid range headphones will give me a nice clear sound that wouldn't sound so far below the 8030C's for just watching some shows and movies?

usern

My iD4 mark 1 powers 560S very fine, but 600 ohm dt 880 is too quiet. You could get headphone amp with balanced inputs like newly released Topping L50 to power hungrier headphones.

560S is good if you just want to watch movies, but for music I would EQ them.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sundara would do fine.
If you just want the tonal balance and don't worry too much about bass then k612 would do.
DT880pro too if don't mind some extra brightness. It's better than non pro version due to higher clamping force shaping the highs.

Top Bottom