• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sundara, HD660S or Aeon RT?

sherm137

I sold the Sundara, because I did not find them comfortable. Great sound though.

I never really like my HD600: good balance but they sound so un-engaging. Probably the dreaded Sennheiser veil. If you are looking at the HD660S and you are in the USA, check out Drop's HD6XX, which is a rebadged HD650 for much less.

I have the Aeon RT Closed and it is easily my favorite closed headphone. It is very comfortable (though it gets hot), and is tuned a bit towards the Fun side (it matches the Harman Curve pretty well). I have not heard the Aeon RT open, but it should be prety good, looking at its curve: https://www.head-fi.org/attachments/3630743/
I'm looking at getting the AFO RT, but that mid bass looks pretty strong, and looks like it bleeds into the mids. Any idea on that?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just EQ it.

sherm137

Just EQ it.
That is an option but I'm trying to find a headphone that I can use without EQ. With my setup, I would be switching the EQ on and off, and it's just an annoyance after a while. So I've been looking for an open back mid-range priced headphone that follows the Harman target pretty well. The AFO RT, seems to do that, but the bass to mid transition region looks like it could be a little overbearing.

cursive

Forum Donor
That is an option but I'm trying to find a headphone that I can use without EQ. With my setup, I would be switching the EQ on and off, and it's just an annoyance after a while. So I've been looking for an open back mid-range priced headphone that follows the Harman target pretty well. The AFO RT, seems to do that, but the bass to mid transition region looks like it could be a little overbearing.

I agree this could be easily EQ'd especially if you listen from a pc, but I do understand not wanting to deal with EQ. The closed backs don't follow the Harman Curve as closely, but they also don't have as much mids or "warmth", not sure if you've considered the closed.

Anyways, I would recommend reading through this post from Head-Fi, it shows Dan Clarks measurements, as well as his comments on the open vs closed Aeon RT.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sav...flow-headphones-only-499.931356/post-15601782

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD660S has a lot of bass rolloff below 100hz. And so while I listen to mine frequently, I also switch to other headphones for when I'm in the mood for subbass.

NDRQ

The Sundara is basically a little tweaked HE400i, so not worth investing the extra money.
Dont know whether u like planar bass or not, but the 660s has a sub bass rolloff.
But even if Sundara's bass is more linear and detailed, its kinda thin sounding, just lacks weight and dynamic punch.
Another thing, that Sundara's treble is a little too hot, but that probably not a problem for you, since the he400i even hotter and u like that.

IMO, the biggest selling point of the Sundara against HD650/60s, is the really good soundstage and imaging, since the Sennheisers really sucks in terms of soundstage and imaging. Maybe the HD600 not so.

Ah and another thing, the Senheiser is much more comfortable. The Sundara is much heavier, while the cups big and not swivel. But that maybe ok too, since the He400i quite similar design.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, the biggest selling point of the Sundara against HD650/60s, is the really good soundstage and imaging, since the Sennheisers really sucks in terms of soundstage and imaging. Maybe the HD600 not so.

Actually, the HD660S has very precise imaging. And while a bit better than HD650 in soundstage size, I would agree it is still smaller than most open headphones.

Top Bottom