• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sundara, HD660S or Aeon RT?

I currently have HE400i and T50RP with home done mayflower mod and with the T50RP flat and Amir's EQ on the HE400i, I love them both but especially the 400i. I'm looking at buying something better in the next few months and currently looking at the Sundara, the HD660S and Dan Clark Aeon RT Open. My max would probably be £600 and i'm wanting something that will last me which tends to put me off the Sundara.

I know the HD660S will probably last but I'm not sure about the bass as I love the Planar bass. I did consider a second hand LCD 2 Classic but think they might be a little dark for me. Any other suggestions? Or opinion on the options.

highpurityusbcable

Do you have the chance to audition headphones before buying? It is highly recommended. I also will upgrade 400i sooner or later and it will be a blind buy guided by hunch.

SpinifexV

I sold the Sundara, because I did not find them comfortable. Great sound though.

I never really like my HD600: good balance but they sound so un-engaging. Probably the dreaded Sennheiser veil. If you are looking at the HD660S and you are in the USA, check out Drop's HD6XX, which is a rebadged HD650 for much less.

I have the Aeon RT Closed and it is easily my favorite closed headphone. It is very comfortable (though it gets hot), and is tuned a bit towards the Fun side (it matches the Harman Curve pretty well). I have not heard the Aeon RT open, but it should be prety good, looking at its curve: https://www.head-fi.org/attachments/3630743/

OP
D
Do you have the chance to audition headphones before buying? It is highly recommended. I also will upgrade 400i sooner or later and it will be a blind buy guided by hunch.

Unfortunately apart from Amazon, not really (and don't want to do too many returns). There is one HiFi retailer in my town and they only do Sennheiser so I might be able to try the HD660S there but they wouldn't let me take my own amp so not a great option.

OP
D

I'd have to add about £50 for a shorter cable but they are going on the list of possibles. Thanks.

I tried some DT990s and while I hate the strident treble, the timbre and tonality was fantastic. Listened to The Lark Ascending and the violins were perfect. These sound like they still have the tonality so definitely worth a look.

D

Deleted member 22273

The standard 3 meter cable is perfect for stationary use. Using it with my magni 3

OP
D
The standard 3 meter cable is perfect for stationary use. Using it with my magni 3

No good for me. I use 1.5m cables as my headphones plug in at the front edge of my desk. 3m leaves too much cable to get in the way.

cursive

Forum Donor
I've never listed to the Sundara, but my current daily driver is the Ananda, and I would definitely recommend it. I upgraded to it from the Hifiman HE-560, I also have the Focal Elex, and I prefer the Ananda to both of those.

Pretty easy to drive, low distortion, and great sounding bass. In my opinion they always sound detailed, but never harsh or fatiguing. The ear shaped cups, for my face shape, are super comfy, and I prefer them to perfectly round earcups like on the Sundara. They don't touch my ears at all which is nice, but again, fit is personal so buy from somewhere you can try on if possible.

Good luck! Shopping for headphones is fun.

OP
D
I've never listed to the Sundara, but my current daily driver is the Ananda, and I would definitely recommend it. I upgraded to it from the Hifiman HE-560, I also have the Focal Elex, and I prefer the Ananda to both of those.

Not there's a thought. Hadn't seen the current price but just looked it up. :D

Maes Hughes

For longevity, I still have a launch HD650 with 10000 plus hours on it. Still works great. All the 6X0 headphones are execellent and likely something that would be a permanent part of your collection. The new HD 560S might also be worth consideration. It has a bit less warm tuning with some extra bass extension. +1 with cursive on the ananda recommendation. The stock tuning for that phone is quite splendid. With the Dan Clark stuff I would highly recommend trying them out. I physically can't wear them because of how aggressive the front volume seal pressure is on the ear (know a few others with the same issue). Other than that the weight (physical weight not slam/impact) for a planar is unmatched.

Top Bottom