• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Summer of Soul

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I said I wouldn't do this and instead posted in the documentaries thread, but I thought this was so great I couldn't help myself. Now I want to play it again. You can get it on Hulu.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really bad form to bump this but anybody see this and love it as much as I did? Now I'm on a Ray Barretto bender.

Reactions: eas

Robin L

Master Contributor
Really bad form to bump this but anybody see this and love it as much as I did? Now I'm on a Ray Barretto bender.
I thought it's great. However, I hope Questlove does a remix, more "Woodstock", less historical backstory. Complete, unedited performances, short segues, more music less talk. The performances deserve no less.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoyed it. I hope more of the footage gets released. It's apparently all on file with the Library of Congress as part of the copyright filing.

Contrary to the "origin story," archivist Joe Lauro tracked down the footage and preserved it a decade and a half ago. It is, or was available for licensing.
Unfortunate that Joe Lauro is not getting deserved credit. But I'm not sure that the above linked story doesn't have its own hyperbole ("we were told the footage had been “lost” and “forgotten” and was recovered by Questlove")

Questlove has said that this project was brought to him not that he found it.
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/01/1012...lls-the-story-of-6-concerts-in-harlem-in-1969

Last edited:
Reactions: eas
Top Bottom