• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Suggestions whole house surge/lightning protection?

6speed

I am already familiar with Zero Surge and Surgex series mode devices and a lot of their competition, but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about whole house surge/lightning protection. Which ones
  1. Clamp faster
  2. Have a lower let through voltage
  3. Incorporate multiple devices/tech to achieve #1 and 2 e.g. MOV + TVSS etc?
  4. Are easily services when components fail
  5. Other features/specs/considerations?
I am looking for something to install under my breaker panel indoors.

solderdude

Major Contributor
MOV's and TVS are fine for clamping pulses created by stuff being switched on and off.
They do not protect against lightning strikes fairly close by.

Look for Surge protectors like this

OP
6speed

6speed

Thread Starter #3
I am not familiar with these or their installation method. They look like parallel devices, but are they meant to be installed in their own box in parallel with the main breaker panel. I'm in the US so our breaker panel standards might be different.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not familiar with these or their installation method. They look like parallel devices, but are they meant to be installed in their own box in parallel with the main breaker panel. I'm in the US so our breaker panel standards might be different.
The simplest thing that is pretty effective is to ask your power company to install a "TVSS" (surge protector) in your electric meter. We put in a 200 amp one for $320 installed I think. They open the meter, put in the board, and close it up and you are done. It works well there because the meter has a very short path to earth ground.

Next option would be one that is placed right at your entrance breaker panel. The leads must be kept short for these to work.

The point of use ones like you are thinking of are not very effective since they impedance is high to the safety ground. They can also dump surge into other devices in your home.

Note that your insurance company will most likely cover lightning surge/damage sans your deductible.

OP
6speed

6speed

Thread Starter #5
In the meter is a good idea. I am looking for all effective add-ons that don't create new problems (e.g. interrupting the existing power feed). I deliberately under-engineered the power supply for my amps, but in most cases, I am a big fan of over-engineering.

Top Bottom