• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions. Pre or AVR

NoCovid

Well I have to say I do enjoy your detailed tests. I stumbled on them by accident. Well done.
Question.
I have Krell Kav250a 2 and Kav250a/3 amps at 250 watts a channel. Input spec is 2.3 v to reach rated output.
I use them to drive b&w Nautilus 802 fronts and 804 rears on my 5.1 ch system. Nautilus centre channel also. Krells are just being rebuilt now.

However my Krell HTS 5.1 prw is dates now and has a few issues. So I am looking for a pre processor and another multichannel amp for height channels. Or maybe a AvR that I can use pre outs on for the 5 Krwll channels and thw internal amps for the other effect channels. But my reading has me a little confused about the Denons not actually shutting off the internal amps but just disconnecting them when you use the pre outs. And with the amps powered up it seems the output voltage is sub 2.3 v unless you start clipping. So my Krells would be inder performing.

Reading some more says I can get more than 2 v out of the preamp stage if I use the prw out on all channels. I have no idea if this turns off the internal amps or not.

On the 8 series Denon it seems that you can actually turn off individual amps to use pre outs on those channels. I see you gave it a good grade.

Very confusing. Someone needs to smack the marketing folks.

could use e a pre processor with XLR outs to the Krells. But then I need more amps for the effect channels. and your reviews of the prw amps have not looked favorably on them. .

Any ideas? Marantz has a pre that you did not like. Audioholics said the Yamaha pre had issues with the volume control buggering up the XLR outs on ch 1 and 2. What can a poor senior do now to regain his sanity in the marketing mess. ??

If you had my system what path to at least a 7.1 system would you follow. Advice is welcome since no one in the retail stores seems to know anything in depth. I would be forever grateful.
John

Golfx

Forum Donor
Collective tests and forum replies seem to favor using a Denon AVR as a prepro. I was going to purchase the Marantz replacement for the 8805 but that hasn’t materialized. Then I was going to buy the Anthem AVM90 but boy that release keeps being delayed and Anthem seems quite troubled with it’s too early release of the AVM70. So I decided to avoid mistakes and purchased Denon’s new A110-an uptuned version of the 8500 with two extra years of warranty. I will entertain buying the Lyngdorf MP60 v 2.1 but only after I see bench measurements proving it’s worth the extra costs over the A110. Regarding power amps this forum is quite high on a PHD grad student who assembles HYPEX Ncore units under the name Buckeye amps. His product was tested by Amir and was well regarded for build quality, price and specs. He has multichannel amps up to 8 channels and is currently swamped with orders resulting from a well earned good reputation. Regarding shutting down individual amps vs all internal amps. I asked Denon because I have the option of shutting down each channel individually (using amp assign) or all channels using their preamp mode. I specifically asked which method would yield me the best mathematical SINAD. They replied to use preamp mode. But, hmmm, Amir got his good test results with just shutting down LR individually. Preamp mode was not yet an option.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I specifically asked which method would yield me the best mathematical SINAD. They replied to use preamp mode. But, hmmm, Amir got his good test results with just shutting down LR individually. Preamp mode was not yet an option.

Is it not an option because you are using some of the build in power amps? I think Denon gave you a safe answer, of course preamp mode would be best because it will improve SINAD of all channels whereas disconnected the individual channels will only improve the disconnected channels but they should know that you know that already lol..

goldenpiggy

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have Krell Kav250a 2 and Kav250a/3 amps at 250 watts a channel.

Welcome!

I haven't got much for you in terms of suggestions, but had to give a shout out to a fellow Kav250a/3 owner. If I needed more amplifiers, I'd go look for one of these or the /2.

Been an awesome amp...happy to see you aren't looking to get rid of yours!

Golfx

Forum Donor
Is it not an option because you are using some of the build in power amps? I think Denon gave you a safe answer, of course preamp mode would be best because it will improve SINAD of all channels whereas disconnected the individual channels will only improve the disconnected channels but they should know that you know that already lol..
Hi PENG. The comment on “preamp mode not an option” was referring to Amir’s testing of the 8500.
I agree Denon gave me a safe answer. I also “really” wanted to know is the internal amp at idle or totally OFF. They did not answer that portion of the question.

rccarguy

If I were to buy a av pre, it would be the monoprice htp-1 or anthem avm70

jomark911

The channels are running idle , either in pre amp mode , or when supposedly off.
They just draw a min amount of current. It's not going to cost something on the sinad side .
They never get shut down completely.
I would go for AVC 8500 H yesterday. It's a fine AV with tremendous capabilities . You can even try it's four power channels , and have all the others idling disconected, and get a very nice result.
A friend does it and i'm going to try it also , when i get to buy one.

OP
N

NoCovid

I am curious as to the output voltage my Krells need 2.3 v input. Sometimes the rca jacks dont give you this.

Top Bottom