• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions on new setup

Niklasmagnus

Hi, so I’m wounding how I could solve some planned scenarios.
Just started to work in an big sheared office space and need closed back headphones. Been looking at AKG K371 and running them directly from laptop and using eq APO. Streaming with Spotify. So far no issues.
When I get home I would like be able to listen both streaming Spotify but without turning on an PC, instead using my IPhone. But I would also like to connect an turntable. Of course using an eq correction for the K371 with both streaming and turntable. Also if possible I would like to have a solution to wireless “connect” the turntable to our Audio Pro C10 (one aux stereo input). Audio quality not high priority.
(If I know myself I will purchase another headphone for home-use in future, an open-back.)
Is this possible keeping the cost down?

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

I guess the above will be hard to solve.
But let’s skip the turntable.
How to build a simple streaming set up using an IPhone with Spotify, an eq solution (app), dac, headphone amp?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How to build a simple streaming set up using an IPhone with Spotify, an eq solution (app), dac, headphone amp?

The $9 apple dongle is said to work well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

I would also like to connect an turntable. Of course using an eq correction for the K371 with both streaming and turntable.

A Bluetooth phono "preamp" might stream to your phone:

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-e-bt/

As for software, no clue. I last had an Apple something in 1998

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

I might have found a solution for controlling with iPhone. By running a raspberry pi with volumio and a peq plugin. Connected to recommended headphone amp I budget class. With this setup I can control volumio from my IPhone, and don’t need to start up a laptop.
nut sure about peq plug-in to use and how. and also if possible to get stereo rca input for the turntable

312elements

Not helpful, but I too have found solving this problem on iOS to be a huge pain. global EQ isn’t available and looping your streaming services through a 3rd Party app seems counterintuitive.

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

After a few more hours of searching the internet I have found that a RPI4 with moOde player will be the best solution since it have a 4 band peq today but with next release they will update it to 12 bands.
This together with JDS atom dac and amp would be a great budget set up.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Yes, only with their premium app, costs a little on a monthly basis, but I have no subscription.

I don't see how you can stream Spotify through Neutron Player so you can use its PEQ, unless I'm missing something?

Nango

Major Contributor
I don't see how you can stream Spotify through Neutron Player so you can use its PEQ, unless I'm missing something?
I am sorry, I confused NeutronMP with Volumio, so sorry!!!! @Niklasmagnus No, you can't stream Spotify by NeutronMP, sorry for the confusion!!! You can stream any other web radio station (i.e. soma.fm) by NeutronMP to any of your clients at home, which is what I do, but this has nothing to do with Spotify, sorry, mixed it up!!!!!

bobbooo

Major Contributor

312elements

@bobbooo Do you use the 5K? I can live without EQ on a lot of headphones, but I find that EQ on the Focal Elegia to kind of be a requirement, and they're typically what I use for commuting on public transit. A good portable hardware solution would be a game changer.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
@bobbooo Do you use the 5K? I can live without EQ on a lot of headphones, but I find that EQ on the Focal Elegia to kind of be a requirement, and they're typically what I use for commuting on public transit. A good portable hardware solution would be a game changer.

I don't own the 5K, but I am considering purchasing it - portable, system-wide parametric EQing on Android with a nifty app to control everything seems very appealing.

OP
N

Niklasmagnus

This together with JDS atom dac and amp would be a great budget set up.

so the combo JDS atom dac and amp will cost me around 400 usd since I must import them from UK and I’m in Sweden. Any suggestions on other dac/amp combo or “dac with headphone amp” at same price or below? Must have usb input.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Any suggestions on other dac/amp combo or “dac with headphone amp” at same price or below? Must have usb input.

I believe you could get the Sabaj D5 for ~$400 US assuming you can catch it on sale. AliExpress sells it so shipping to Sweden shouldn't be an issue, and there are potentially European dealers / websites that stock it as well.

Top Bottom