• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions on DAC

Byron Monahan

Lots of reviews here. Tried a search, but didn't find the info I needed.

I would like to hear suggestions on a dac that is around US $150.

need USB input (pc USB to DAC)
headphone jack
RCA or XLR out to go to LSR 305.

The topping D30 looks nice but I need a headphone jack.

Thanks!

garbulky

Major Contributor
They've tested the $30 Behringer UCA 202 which has RCA outputs, a headphone jack. However the RCA outputs are not volume controlled. You have to adjust the volume on windows to adjust the volume.

The Schiit Audio Fulla 2 which is $99 has variable preamp outputs and also a headphone output.

almostwo

I have a fantastic Experience with the Topping D30 and A30 combo.

Give it a try, some times booth are like $200 in Massdrop.

OP
B

Byron Monahan

Such great info. Thank you all. I think I might go with the Topping D30 and then later get the A30.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T56EA

If you don't need remote and do Windows or Mac the above should work for you. The output is 2.45 volts and I think max input at the sensitive setting for the 305s is 2.1 volts. So has balanced out, and a pretty good headphone jack.

Here are some measurements which show it largely meets claimed spec which is the norm with Focusrite.
http://johnr.hifizine.com/2012/09/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-measurements/

Be sure to get a gen 2.

Or since gen 2 has been out for a couple years it is probably easy to find a used gen 1 which is pretty much the same. Main difference being it only works to 96 khz rather than 192 khz.

Here are a couple more measures of the 2i2.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-and-tools/266853-behringer-focusrite.html

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good idea, and the Focusrite Scarlett Solo is only $99. If one is using it only for playback and not recording...probably all one needs?

dme

UMC204HD I think has variable volume control but the problem with it is that it has anemic output level and people have complained that it can't drive active speakers to max level.

Hello all! I'm also in the market for the same thing, a DAC which I can use to output to LSR 305s (active monitor speakers). I just want to check a couple of things as I'm fairly new to audio hardware and feeling a bit swamped! I was looking at the UMC204HD, but saw the post that I've just quoted. Am I correct in thinking the Focusrite Scarlett Solo which was recommended would not have that problem?

If using the UMC204HD, should I use the RCA or main outs, or does it not matter? And whatever the answer is, can the volume of that output be controlled using the dial on the front of the UMC204HD?

If using the Solo instead, I believe the RCA outputs of the Solo are unamplified and therefore suitable for connecting to already-amplified active speakers like this, but I don't yet understand the "balanced/unbalanced" concept, so please let me know if there are any concerns regarding that. The Solo's outs are unbalanced, according to the user manual. Assuming this is suitable, does it matter whether I use the RCA outputs to connect to the monitors' XLR inputs or balanced TRS 1/4" inputs?

Many thanks! Hopefully start lurking around here a bit more now that I have the account.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Am I correct in thinking the Focusrite Scarlett Solo which was recommended would not have that problem?

You need to look at the specs. Behringer seems not to spec the output level, but at least 2 Vrms (equal to +6 dBV) for an unbalanced RCA output or +14dBu for a balanced output on a recording interface product would be "standard". I know, it's confusing that there are several ways to spec signal levels, but the dB concept works better for folks in the recording or live music end of things.

Also, please don't take my comment re the Scarlett Solo as a real recommendation--it was more of a suggestion because it doesn't have as many features that are on the Behringer unit that are not needed for use as a USB DAC/pre driving powered monitors.

If using the UMC204HD, should I use the RCA or main outs, or does it not matter? And whatever the answer is, can the volume of that output be controlled using the dial on the front of the UMC204HD?

Yes, the main output control is what you'd use to control the playback volume.

You can use either output, based on what I read from the Behringer manual. The RCA output would require cables with RCA plugs on the interface end and 1/4" TS plugs on the monitor end, or use of RCA jack-to-TS plug adapters with a set of regular RCA cables. The pictures in the setup guide show 1/4" TS plugs being inserted into the "main" jacks.

If using the Solo instead, I believe the RCA outputs of the Solo are unamplified and therefore suitable for connecting to already-amplified active speakers like this, but I don't yet understand the "balanced/unbalanced" concept, so please let me know if there are any concerns regarding that. The Solo's outs are unbalanced, according to the user manual. Assuming this is suitable, does it matter whether I use the RCA outputs to connect to the monitors' XLR inputs or balanced TRS 1/4" inputs?

Balanced connections are most useful in a high noise/interference environment, like live music, where microphone signals are at low levels and electromagnetic interference from power and lighting cabling would induce hum into long runs of unbalanced cabling. Balanced cabling essentially cancels that interference out by using twisted pairs. There are quite a few explanations on how it works on the web, so I'd just keep Googling and read several as one of them will definitely clear it all up for you.

In the case of most monitors like these, the TRS inputs are designed to take balanced or unbalanced signals. Inserting a TS plug into the TRS connection works just fine, as long as the output stage of the source can swing 2Vrms or so.

dme

Hi there, thanks for your reply!

You need to look at the specs. Behringer seems not to spec the output level, but at least 2 Vrms (equal to +6 dBV) for an unbalanced RCA output or +14dBu for a balanced output on a recording interface product would be "standard". I know, it's confusing that there are several ways to spec signal levels, but the dB concept works better for folks in the recording or live music end of things.

I'm just looking at the Solo's specs (https://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-solo). I can't see any mention of output for the RCAs in Vrms or dBV, but it says "+10 dBu". Unless I'm confused, I think that's the same as 2.45Vrms.

Also, please don't take my comment re the Scarlett Solo as a real recommendation--it was more of a suggestion because it doesn't have as many features that are on the Behringer unit that are not needed for use as a USB DAC/pre driving powered monitors.

No worries, understood. Focusrite stuff seems decent quality, and my requirements are fairly simple compared to what the Behringer UMC204HD offers, so it was a useful pointer :)

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I can't see any mention of output for the RCAs in Vrms or dBV, but it says "+10 dBu". Unless I'm confused, I think that's the same as 2.45Vrms.

Correct. I am a chemical engineer so I can tell you the number of liters in a gallon or other conversions I always use off the top of my head, but re signal levels, I usually use this:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Thus there is no problem at all with driving those JBLs as their input sensitivity for full output from an unbalanced signal is 2.1 Vrms. Focusrite always seems to have a little more "pro orientation" so perhaps that's why they spec an unbalanced output in dBu rather than Vrms as is the case for some makers who focus on the home studio market.

There are quite a few interfaces available at that $100 price point. Sweetwater is a pro audio vendor that lists quite a few of them for easy comparison. Some of them use a single chip solution that does both AD, DA, and signal processing, and I am not entirely sure about the quality of their main outputs.

Reactions: dme

zierbeek

Hi all, I'm also in the market for a DAC and also a beginner.
At the moment I have a pair of Q-acoustics bt3 on my desk and a regular Marshall headphone for on the go. There is also a turntable with RCA output and usb-B output. Not necessary to get it in the DAC cause not used very often.
I'm searching for something in the same price category. I looked at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen and the Topping D3. I have no idea what to choose. Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom