• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for three-way crossover filters?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sorry, let me ruin your day!:facepalm: I too was hopeful that balanced output was possible. It is not, it just won't fit. Here is the TRS version of the Flex with the Flex Eight below. As they alluded, it just isn't going to fit. If they do a balanced option in the future, it will have to be a Phoenix breakout...
View attachment 223816
I was more optimistic than that:
I wanted an analog input too :facepalm:

(and some DSD):p

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Another advice to Daniel :
If you make a threeway, you can get inspiration from sammels building at faktiskt.se .

He uses the same mid and tweeter as in your project.
As subwoofer goes - A Dayton reference 10 subwoofer seems to be one of the best one can use for the money . Closed box , 30 liters each with linkwitz transformer.

Another wildcard is a new subwoofer from Reckhorn - d250. Much cheaper but maybe good ?

I suspect that about 33 cm wide baffle will be about sweet spot in such a speaker . Using the Troelsgravesen formula gives 11600/33 = 351 Hz crossover .
105-110 cm high cabinet makes this about optimal I think .
I know.;)

A little OT for the thread, but it's OK for me anyway. :) Page 11 onwards, even if you don't know Swedish, various pictures of Samuel's DIY that you can look at.

Thanks for the tip regarding the bass driver. Now I was thinking of using Peerless SLS 10. Probably two in each box. 88 dB sensitivity in 8 Ohms, connect two pieces to make 4 Ohms and thus increase the sensitivity by 6 dB but reduce it due to the lack of baffle support by 6 dB. Should fit the rest of the drivers midrange and tweeter well. I think so but for now it's just a thought. I'll count on it. Will return in the future with a new, more construction-oriented thread. Right now I was most interested in this with different types of crossover solutions.:)

Here a test of SLS 10, I attach some pictures from that thread with:

Attachments

• SLS10_1_Kx_20cm_85-100dB (1) (1).gif
    SLS10_1_Kx_20cm_85-100dB (1) (1).gif
    71.9 KB · Views: 46
  • SLS10_1_SPLdeg (1) (1).png
    SLS10_1_SPLdeg (1) (1).png
    10.8 KB · Views: 44
  • SLS10_1_CSD_20cm (1) (1).png
    SLS10_1_CSD_20cm (1) (1).png
    11.7 KB · Views: 44

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another wildcard is a new subwoofer from Reckhorn - d250. Much cheaper but maybe good ?

Nice find, thanks.

Incidentally, they also offer a 2x6 DSP for little money:

Seems to use AKM converters, so might be better than the cheapest MiniDSP.

Not available right now, but if your not in a hurry..

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Correction in class. I discovered this now. Bad style I must say. Why has no one help aasearles?:oops:

Balanced together with unbalanced, how and when?

Otherwise balanced output. I'll take my aforementioned Sela power amp again. Do you see the picture, output with 3 male pins.An output that on a power amp that goes to ....speakers, so how do you think it is connected? Sela power amp output to the speakers that is.:)

IMG_20220813_065556.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzman53

A DBX Driverack PA2 ($400 alone or $500 with microphone for tuning) is wonderful, as is its wireless iPad or smartphone interface. However; it has only balanced analog inputs. If you need digital inputs, then I recommend it's big brother, the Driverack Venu 360 ($900) I have one and it's fantastic. With either unit you can tweak crossover points, digital delays, parametric EQ's, 33 band graphic EQ's, limiters, feedback suppression, etc... all in real time, and wirelessly from your listening position. It's the best investment Ive made other than my homebuilt ESL's.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
For a pair of DIY three-wave speakers I was thinking of building this autumn.Crossover points, 300 Hz and 2500 Hz. At least 24 dB HP-LP filter..

I have several amplifiers so it is no problem to let different amps take care of the bass, midrange and tweeter respectively.

Preferably in the digital world as far as possible. Active crossover is a solution and preferably not passive crossover. However, I can imagine combinations of the mentioned crossover solutions.:)

Signal, I use Android or my laptop with Win 10. Streaming Spotify (or if I will switch to Qobuz).

When proposing miniDSP, please if there are tests on its performance when it comes to using it with crossover functionality. It would be interesting to read about.
You may find this of interest: Crossover Basics using miniDSP Device Console

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Sorry, let me ruin your day!:facepalm: I too was hopeful that balanced output was possible. It is not, it just won't fit. Here is the TRS version of the Flex with the Flex Eight below. As they alluded, it just isn't going to fit. If they do a balanced option in the future, it will have to be a Phoenix breakout...
View attachment 223816
Yes indeed the physical I/O constraint, also consider that the TRS outputs are true active balanced circuits which takes up more circuit board real-estate and power.
Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

Top Bottom