• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for speakers in corner setup

mangoes4hands

Have a non-ideal setup with non-negotiable placement that I'd love some help on. We are converting a bedroom into a playroom / TV room, and the TV (a 65" screen) is getting placed in a corner of the room. There's not space on either side of the TV for speakers, but given the size of the room (14' x 12') and the viewing distance from the intended seating area (8' to 11', depending on location), a smaller TV isn't an option.

My plan is to have speakers under the TV to be used for stereo music listening and TV output. I don't want floor standing speakers because that will raise the TV too high, so I am looking for bookshelf speakers. I'm ok with passive or active, no real preference though I might lean active as I'll have to purchase an amp otherwise. The criteria I'm looking for is:

(1) solid off axis FR;

(2) will function well on table stand when only 12" off the floor (narrow vertical dispersion?);

(3) MUST have a grille cloth (extra credit for repetition for durability and any other protection, as this will be close to the floor in a part time play room); and

(4) functions well when relatively close to the wall (front port / sealed?).

No fixed budget, but I don't want to drop $4K for speakers and have a kid rip through a tweeter so increased cost must come with increased durability.

Suggestions?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if speakers are under the TV you won't get much stereo

how about a sub under the TV, and some small speakers to the side?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe small bookshelf speakers mounted above the TV? Sub under TV.

And maybe this is one of those situations where a better than average soundbar is a good enough solution.

OP
M

mangoes4hands

Speakers over the TV wall mounted is a possibility I suppose. Was hoping not to go soundbar but yeah that's an obvious solution.

The speakers could probably be around 6 feet apart so I was hoping to get some stereo effect, but obviously far from the ideal equilateral triangle.

OP
M

mangoes4hands

Sonos soundbar sending signal to a pair of Ikea speakers.
Curious how this would work in a corner setup. Is the dispersion wide enough to accommodate speakers that are mounted in a corner on perpendicular walls?

I also am a bit confused about how to integrate this with a TV setup.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Curious how this would work in a corner setup. Is the dispersion wide enough to accommodate speakers that are mounted in a corner on perpendicular walls?

I also am a bit confused about how to integrate this with a TV setup.
The Ikea speakers are pretty omnidirectional, so they would do better than lots of speakers on perpendicular walls like that. I think you could drive them with something like a Sonos Beam.

Top Bottom