• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for replacing 40 year-old Hafler preamp

Eulipian

Aloha from the 5-O. I have HAFLER DH-100 preamp and DH-220 power amp, playing through Polk RTA 12-A speakers (still sounding nice and flat after 40 years with one tweeter replaced). The preamp does not have a headphone jack and, more significantly, has developed some annoying intermittent ground hum. It's also not passing the phono signal clearly, though it works fine with CDs. Could just be a grounding issue between the phono and the preamp or not, but fixing that won't address the headphone situation. Some of what I listen to is on vinyl. I am neither a collector nor an "audiophile;" I just like finding great stuff that sounds good that's not available digitally and, honestly, I enjoy physical liner notes, librettos and album art.

Forgive the long wind up, but I'm looking for suggestions for a new preamp/DAC (and possibly power amp). The preamp would have to accommodate phono, CD, and the raspberry pi digital server I've built but not yet deployed. Also, and this is a longer term issue, I'd consider replacing the speakers (after building or buying a replacement set....) and using digital EQ instead of passive crossovers. I'd build a preamp from a kit (Akitika), but the prices are so reasonable for what appears to be great gear nowadays, that's not a primary objective.

So, I'd be grateful to hear any thoughts (other than "man, you and your stuff are old") about preamp replacement, compatibility with my current other components and long term objectives. I've been enjoying Amir's wonderful teaching and depth of knowledge. Having this forum under Amir's tutelage is a real gift.

Thanks for any thoughts.

OP
Eulipian

Eulipian

Because I need analog inputs and don't care about the balanced lines (for now) I'm going with the Schitt Saga S. Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom