• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for preamp/DAC for AHB2-looking to upgrade from NAD C658

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
Good afternoon everyone,

I have been slowly upgrading my system. Currently I am using an NAD C658, a Benchmark AHM2 and a pair of Monitor Audio Platinum PL-100II speakers with matching stands. The speakers and the newest part of the system and they really work well in my room and I have been running them without Dirac. I bought the NAD C658 since it had integrated Dirac (I purchased the full bandwidth option) since my last speakers (Def Tech Mythos ST-L) were really a struggle to set up in my room and were unlistenable without correction (very forward). I also use the built-in BluOS streamer as a source along with my turntable and SACD player. I'm not sure, but at this point I feel the weak link in the system is the NAD C658. Now that I am not using Dirac it opens another world of products for me. Just interested in getting input from the group. Although I love the sound of the system as it stands I think that it could be improved based on the review of the NAD (which has given me NO problems).

Here are my system needs:
-Remote control with dedicated input buttons instead of "up and down"
-Analog inputs (preferably a phono input, but I could use an outboard phono stage if needed)
-Digital inputs (at least one coax and one optical)

Nice but not necessary:
-IR control input on the back to avoid an IR emitter on the front (I am using a control system)
-IP control
-Tone controls and possibly EQ

Thoughts? Thank you for any input!

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good afternoon everyone,

I have been slowly upgrading my system. Currently I am using an NAD C658, a Benchmark AHM2 and a pair of Monitor Audio Platinum PL-100II speakers with matching stands. The speakers and the newest part of the system and they really work well in my room and I have been running them without Dirac. I bought the NAD C658 since it had integrated Dirac (I purchased the full bandwidth option) since my last speakers (Def Tech Mythos ST-L) were really a struggle to set up in my room and were unlistenable without correction (very forward). I also use the built-in BluOS streamer as a source along with my turntable and SACD player. I'm not sure, but at this point I feel the weak link in the system is the NAD C658. Now that I am not using Dirac it opens another world of products for me. Just interested in getting input from the group. Although I love the sound of the system as it stands I think that it could be improved based on the review of the NAD (which has given me NO problems).

Here are my system needs:
-Remote control with dedicated input buttons instead of "up and down"
-Analog inputs (preferably a phono input, but I could use an outboard phono stage if needed)
-Digital inputs (at least one coax and one optical)

Nice but not necessary:
-IR control input on the back to avoid an IR emitter on the front (I am using a control system)
-IP control
-Tone controls and possibly EQ

Thoughts? Thank you for any input!
Parasound Halo P6, or a used P5

Willem

Major Contributor
I doubt you could improve the sound quality by changing the preamp/DAC. I would suggest investing time to use the DIrac option after all.

Reactions: GDK

MarkS

Major Contributor
I read that review as saying that some inputs didn't work (at all? this part is confusing to me), and that on the ones that did work, there were no audible problems.

I understand that many people here seem to like their electronics to overperform, but if you, like me, only care about audible differences, then you should be happy with the NAD (assuming all the inputs you need work on your sample).

And I would also think that smoothing out room-caused uneven bass (a universal issue) with Dirac would be far more important to sound quality than anything a new preamp without room correction could do for you.

OP
JDRCapeCod

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
I read that review as saying that some inputs didn't work (at all? this part is confusing to me), and that on the ones that did work, there were no audible problems.

I understand that many people here seem to like their electronics to overperform, but if you, like me, only care about audible differences, then you should be happy with the NAD (assuming all the inputs you need work on your sample).

And I would also think that smoothing out room-caused uneven bass (a universal issue) with Dirac would be far more important to sound quality than anything a new preamp without room correction could do for you.

Thanks Mark,
My NAD has been working perfectly since I bought it. All inputs are great. Thank you for your insight.

MarcT

Forum Donor
OP
JDRCapeCod

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor

Tks

Major Contributor
RME ADI 2 ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition? (mouthful I know).

No Coaxial Input (kinda odd seeing as how their DAC version of this device has this).
No Phono Input
No IP Control (at least I think there isn't any, because I don't even know what IP control is).
No rear IR Control (never heard of this sort of config either).

Idk, maybe this is a bad suggestion now that I think about it.

OP
JDRCapeCod

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
RME ADI 2 ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition? (mouthful I know).

No Coaxial Input (kinda odd seeing as how their DAC version of this device has this).
No Phono Input
No IP Control (at least I think there isn't any, because I don't even know what IP control is).
No rear IR Control (never heard of this sort of config either).

Idk, maybe this is a bad suggestion now that I think about it.
I do like that unit, but it doesn't have all of the functionality I need. Thanks for the input!

OP
JDRCapeCod

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
I spent quite a bit of time yesterday using Dirac and fine tuning the system. I have a strange room where the ceiling is very low (6'2") and the room is shoebox shaped. I had large floor standing speakers before (Def Tech Mythos ST-L) and they were trapped and needed to be out from the back wall to really sound good. Since I couldn't get them away from the wall Dirac addressed the issue but it never really sounded right to me. Now that I moved to a speaker that is more appropriate for the room (Monitor Audio PL-100II) the sound was much better, even without Dirac. Having a smaller stand mounted speaker really worked quite well in the room...maybe a bit more controlled dispersion when compared to the Mythos also helped with ceiling reflections. I am very happy with the results. With my last speakers Dirac worked more as a band aid trying to fix something. Now it just seems to fine tune the experience. My system has never sounded better. Maybe the NAD is a keeper after all.

jaykay77

I went old school - got lucky and found a denon pra 2000rg...in incredible condition.

I go roon > an old musical fidelity dac > denon rg > ahb2 > revel F208's

Forgot to mention - this preamp has no remote - it's old school. Not sure it's even an option. But man it's quickly becoming one my favorite pieces of equipment.

Last edited:

mig

Hi,

To listen to music in stereo I have an msi5 amp and the c658 with Sonus Faber sonneto 8.
The Dirac didn't really convince me, even after I bought a micro mini dsp, because I found that it made the sound too flat and we lost a lot of information especially in the highs. I have a living room with a very high ceiling
Where the Dirac is interesting is for the bass management, as I use very large columns, by modifying the curve a little more in the zone of 20hz to 35 hz I really get very deep bass. Even if I took the paid version which allows to modify and to correct until 500khz I made a dirac short. I find the c658 very interesting on this point.
And that even by taking amplis much more expensive (I tested an Accuphase e380 one weekend) the sound is practically identical.
Concerning the distortion I know that NAD advises to put the sound at -20 decibels but I find that if we put the sound at -15 or even minus 12.5 we have even more grain in the mediums.
Do you share this opinion or does everyone stay at -20 decibels?
Doesn't the amp and speakers also play a role in the sensitivity and the ability to absorb this distortion?

Regards

Mig

mig

i said grain in fench means details in voice and instrumental chords..

walt99

Forum Donor
Super happy with my LA4/DACB/AHB2 and it meets most of your requirements.
I use the Denon A110 for HT processing.

dtaylo1066

See Amir's C658 review. Not good DAC performance. MiniDSP SHD models have better specs and DACs, but don't have phono preamp.

Top Bottom