• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for outdoor (rain) fan, power strip, and extension cord

garbulky

Major Contributor
Hi all,
I'm trying to do an outdoor (waterproof) fan that can weather the rain elements on the patio. Key thing is I'm trying to keep costs down and IT HAS TO BE LEFT OUT IN THE RAIN. So ideally about 60 bucks. but I can stretch it upwards a bit. The size of a regular 20" box fan would do.
Can go a bit smaller like 12" but not tiny. Important that it's not HUGE or too expensive.

Also looking for suggestions for an extension cord and a water resistant powerstrip I can pull out there and keep out in the RAINY weather. Once again, trying to go cheap. Extension cord can be 25 feet and under. 3 Outlets on power strip. Not worried about snow.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Usually the “crickets” for a thread means something. I’m pretty sure you’re 100% out of luck for everything you are asking about.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yeah I've been asking around. Is there a different forum that may help me better? A rain resistant box fan would really fit the bill for me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They make rain resistant outdoor suitable ceiling fans. They run more like $100-$150. You'll wire them in rather than using an extension cord.

Plenty of extension cords are okay left out, but that doesn't mean leaving the ends with plugs where they get rained on. If you enclose that part it will work. You also have these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-Outlet-Power-Ball-Extension-Cord-Plus-USB-36008/305185999
Circuit breaker, but I'd feel safer with one that incorporates a GFCI like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tower-M...-Right-Angle-GFCI-Quad-Box-30434052/202510262

Again these aren't really intended to have something plugged in and left out to the elements.

I've seen people do what you are describing and get away with it. I wouldn't do it. I'd use some plastic electrical conduit to get the wire where you need it and also some receptacles that would be safe. It isn't hard to do or expensive.

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
They make rain resistant outdoor suitable ceiling fans. They run more like $100-$150. You'll wire them in rather than using an extension cord.

Plenty of extension cords are okay left out, but that doesn't mean leaving the ends with plugs where they get rained on. If you enclose that part it will work. You also have these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-Outlet-Power-Ball-Extension-Cord-Plus-USB-36008/305185999
Circuit breaker, but I'd feel safer with one that incorporates a GFCI like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tower-M...-Right-Angle-GFCI-Quad-Box-30434052/202510262

Again these aren't really intended to have something plugged in and left out to the elements.

I've seen people do what you are describing and get away with it. I wouldn't do it. I'd use some plastic electrical conduit to get the wire where you need it and also some receptacles that would be safe. It isn't hard to do or expensive.
How would you seal the ends of the plastic hose? Do you have more information.
So the whole idea is I have redone my small patio outside. With the heat, I want a box fan out doors. And I basically want to leave it there without having to move it everytime to get it out the rain. I would probably bring it indoors during a storm, but in general, I just want it sitting out there. I have a set of outdoor outlets and I have a box fan. But the outlets too far from the box fan and the box fan is not water resistant. So I would need some sort of extension cord to get the box fan over there and need some sort of water resistant thing. Ideawlly I would like to leave the fan plugged in to the outlet. But I understand if that's a bad idea and I can just plug it in whjen I need it. However I do want the fan left out in the rain.

Do you have any idea how to best do it? (no ceiling fans. The fan must be able to sit on a surface unsupported). There's no soil. Just a hard surface.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

It typically terminates on both ends to water-tight junction boxes. You might find some tips along these lines by looking up how electrical service to Jacuzzis is accomplished.

So the whole idea is I have redone my small patio outside. With the heat, I want a box fan out doors. And I basically want to leave it there without having to move it everytime to get it out the rain. I would probably bring it indoors during a storm, but in general, I just want it sitting out there.
It appears you have an aversion to some like of waterproof cover, such as is used for BBQ grills?

The only application I can think of where electrical equipment is used in inclement weather is military-related. So you might look there. I expect not much chance you’ll find anything for $60 though...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
The only application I can think of where electrical equipment is used in inclement weather is military-related. So you might look there.

Well, two applications: the military and this guy.

1596142728526.png

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-20″-Weather-Shield-Performance-Box/dp/B000BOCD1Y/
Which is reasonably priced and is rain resistant for light rain. Unfortunately all the reviews have torn it down on poor quality and early failure.
The reason I want this outdoors is that I have limited time but I do go outside everyday. Therefore to get things setup the way I like it takes a decent amount of time that I do not want to waste. Not to mention due to physical issues, it is quite painful to move things. The idea is to have the items outside ready for use to save time. So the fan and plug being outside would be one way to do this.
I already have other waterproof items including a kindle, speakers, chairs, lights (solar powered), etc. So the fan and the extension cord is the missing link. I'm very bad and (honestly) rather unwilling to learn diy skills. I was hoping there would be some sort of ready made solution.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
That Lasko fan could do the trick. That said I'd still recommend building a hood for it which should be easy. You'll want to keep as much direct precipitation off the fan as you possibly can. Whatever weather proofing they built around that motor isn't going to stand up for long against downpours; it's only good to keep out really light rain.

This ext. cord + power strip might work for you:
https://www.newegg.com/p/177-00BG-0...ower_strip weather-_-9SIACDV91W6045-_-Product

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So the whole idea is I have redone my small patio outside. With the heat, I want a box fan out doors. And I basically want to leave it there without having to move it everytime to get it out the rain. I would probably bring it inhttps://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-07315001126-LTB-400-Electrical/dp/B000FPAN2K doors during a storm, but in general, I just want it sitting out there. I have a set of outdoor outlets and I have a box fan. But the outlets too far from the box fan and the box fan is not water resistant. So I would need some sort of extension cord to get the box fan over there and need some sort of water resistant thing. Ideawlly I would like to leave the fan plugged in to the outlet. But I understand if that's a bad idea and I can just plug it in whjen I need it. However I do want the fan left out in the rain.

Do you have any idea how to best do it? (no ceiling fans. The fan must be able to sit on a surface unsupported). There's no soil. Just a hard surface.
Get a heavy duty outdoor electrical cord. Where you plug the box fan lead into this you want to make sure the plug has a good solid grip. Then coat the junction with liquid electrical tape. A good coating is safe enough. You will not get to unplug it after that. But it will be safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-07315001126-LTB-400-Electrical/dp/B000FPAN2K

At the other end where it plugs into your outlet you'll have to look at what you have and decide. It might be fine to just leave it plugged in or you might want some sort of protective box. You may wish to change it out to this which allows the extension cord to be protected and has an outlet in the bottom of the box. With a GFCI built into it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TAYMAC-...ty-In-Use-Cover-GFCI-Combo-MG420CSB/206974012

The problem is still the cheap box fan. It won't hold up outdoors. The one you have a link to is meant to sit in an open window and have some protection from direct rain. If I were just determined to do this, I'd put some hinges on the front and back of the fan holding some plastic sheeting or thin wood. Put a latch on the bottom. Drop those down and latch as you go inside. When you go outside, open the latch and prop the sheeting up out of the way. When not in use you'd have a metal box with a front and rear cover closed. Or some variation on that idea. Being able to close the box when not in use. Can you mount the fan on a hinge so that you can just fold the fan up under the eave of the house when not in use? That might work for some period of time.

It is doable, but just leaving it out with no precautions isn't a good idea, and no one is willing to suggest such a thing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have had a couple of these in my greenhouse and they have been surprisingly reliable for 2+ seasons. I bought them from Home Depot so the brand/model may be different but they look like the one in the picture. I think they were $20 and for that price, I can throw them away once they fail. When it is hot, I actually point the hose at it and wet the blades for more cooling. :)

If you go this way, be absolutely sure to have a GFCI outlet. If you do not, then get an extension cord with it in it. Spray some WD-40 in the sockets of the extension cord and wrap some plastic+tape around it. And keep the junction elevated above ground so that water doesn't pool around it.

All in all, you are taking some chances with this kind of thing but it "should" be OK. :)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it were me, I'd just get a cheap box fan (I have a Lasko model from Home Depot which is light weight that I abuse and its still running fine) and when not in use, unplug it and throw a tarp on it.

And yeah, GFCI is a must for outdoor outlets.

gvl

Major Contributor
If this is a permanent outdoor installation it needs to be hardwired using raintight conduit and junction boxes and an outdoor rated fan that can be hard-wired to make it right and up to code.

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
If this is a permanent outdoor installation it needs to be hardwired using raintight conduit and junction boxes and an outdoor rated fan that can be hard-wired to make it right and up to code.
Do you know an outdoor rated fan that stands up by itself?

gvl

Major Contributor
If you're willing to up the game to $129 the 20" is outdoor rated and comes with a floor stand and sounds like what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.com/iLIVING-ILG8...roof/dp/B0887VKPVV/?tag=germguardiann-20&th=1

Click through reviews for some creative outdoor hookup ideas. If you can drive a screw to a wall it can be made into less of a trip hazard.

This box should be handy too: https://www.amazon.com/SOCKiTBOX-Weatherproof-Connection-Electrical-Transformers/dp/B009RX5GI2?th=1

As other mentioned, a GFCI protected outlet is a must for safety or at least use something like this plugged directly into the outlet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tower-M...hable-GFCI-Manual-Reset-30396029-08/202510246

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
WD-40 and duct tape?:facepalm:
Stuff everyone has around the house! :D

I had to string 5 long extension cords to keep our RV from freezing and above was my solution in snow no less! Worked like a charm.

gvl

Major Contributor
Stuff everyone has around the house! :D

I had to string 5 long extension cords to keep our RV from freezing and above was my solution in snow no less! Worked like a charm.

Says someone who declared a war against badly grounded chassis.

Top Bottom