• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for outdoor (rain) fan, power strip, and extension cord

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
If this is a permanent outdoor installation it needs to be hardwired using raintight conduit and junction boxes and an outdoor rated fan that can be hard-wired to make it right and up to code.
Yes a portable fan like a box fan. The fan you linked was BRILLIANT. The lasko has tons of bad reviews for durability but people are confirming that this one has functioned for a long time. I have a feeling this is what I shall get.
the other night I was outside and it rained suddenly. My speakers kindle chair was waterproof. So I just had to worry about t he fan and cord

I appreciate all the advice. I have zero diy skills (and do not want to mess around with that stuff). So I would happily pay for ready made solutions. at this point I can’t quite understand t he concept of waterproofing the cord namely on the two ends and the wall socket. My current wall socket has a weather cover flap over each individual socket but the cover has to open To plug in so I imagine that makes it not waterproof? But the ac socket is under a sheltered roof and above floor level.
can somebody recommend a waterproof extension cord for the fan on amazon. I’m thinking between 15 and 20 ft should do it.
is there a waterproof box or device I can snap onto where the fan plugs in to the extension cord to make that connection waterproof? The extension cord would hopefully lay on the floor outside Where it’s socket plugs into the fan plug. But the Extension end that goes into the wall will be raised.

gvl

Major Contributor
As for the outlet itself, you generally want it to have an "in-use" cover, as a simple flap doesn't protect the plug from moisture when in use. If the outlet is not exposed you might be ok with just a flap especially if you will remove the plug when not in use. I'd personally consider to hire an electrician to install a GFCI outlet if there isn't one already, he can install the cover at the same time, figure 1hr of labor plus parts is a reasonable price for a peace of mind that no one will get electrocuted should things go wrong, fan or otherwise, if your home is old there may not be proper grounding in the outlet and if there is a short in the fan things can go very wrong outside in the rain..

The fan I linked has a 10' long cord, so sound like you will need to extend it to your outlet. I linked a water-proof connection box that will work for this purpose, it is big enough to hold an extension end with multiple outlets . Just get a heavy-duty outdoor rated extension cord of the necessary length from your local hardware store or Amazon.

Outlet >-------------- extension -----------------[SOCKiTBOX]----- fan cord --------- (FAN)

If you don't need multiple taps on the extension skip the SOCKiTBOX and just use this: https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Connector-Safety-Protector-Weatherproof/dp/B07665RSVR/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=23LOQKTCH9UL5&dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+extension+cord&qid=1596347031&sprefix=outdoor+ex,aps,214&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNN0RRTldVSEdSUTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MjU3OTJPRlRRTk8zUzRNV1MmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDk1OTc4MTFBMFQ0NTUzWkxXTlMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Last edited:
OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
As for the outlet itself, you generally want it to have an "in-use" cover, as a simple flap doesn't protect the plug from moisture when in use. If the outlet is not exposed you might be ok with just a flap especially if you will remove the plug when not in use. I'd personally consider to hire an electrician to install a GFCI outlet if there isn't one already, he can install the cover at the same time, figure 1hr of labor plus parts is a reasonable price for a peace of mind that no one will get electrocuted should things go wrong, fan or otherwise, if your home is old there may not be proper grounding in the outlet and if there is a short in the fan things can go very wrong outside in the rain..

The fan I linked has a 10' long cord, so sound like you will need to extend it to your outlet. I linked a water-proof connection box that will work for this purpose, it is big enough to hold an extension end with multiple outlets . Just get a heavy-duty outdoor rated extension cord of the necessary length from your local hardware store or Amazon.

Outlet >-------------- extension -----------------[SOCKiTBOX]----- fan cord --------- (FAN)

If you don't need multiple taps on the extension skip the SOCKiTBOX and just use this: https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Connector-Safety-Protector-Weatherproof/dp/B07665RSVR/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=23LOQKTCH9UL5&dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+extension+cord&qid=1596347031&sprefix=outdoor+ex,aps,214&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNN0RRTldVSEdSUTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MjU3OTJPRlRRTk8zUzRNV1MmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDk1OTc4MTFBMFQ0NTUzWkxXTlMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
OMG like tons of great ideas. still trying to process. I am not good at this stuff thank you! Can tell you right now the last one is very appealing.

Top Bottom