• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for mixed use surround sound system?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The room is enclosed, 2700 cu ft (21x13x10), and vinyl plank floor. Viewing distance will be around 7 feet. Aiming for 4.1 and upgrade to 7.1.4 next year.

Screen: LG C9 65" (purchased)

Front left & right: Genelec 8341A (purchased)

Processor: Emotiva XMC-1 (purchased)

Treatment: GIK Acoustics bass traps, scatter plates, and diffusers (half purchased)

Subwoofer: 2x PSA S18 IPAL (purchased)

Surround & back: Genelec 8030C (purchased)

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I'm building a very similar system, considering Genelecs for front speakers and I picked Neumann KH80s for surrounds and heights, they seem like a nice balance of reasonable size and excellent quality without breaking the bank. Their vertical directivity is also quite good for non-coaxial 2-way.

Of course, the dream is 8341a all around with 8351b or 8361a in front, similar to the Genelec showroom in Berlin, but that is outside budget for now...

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

FWIW I'm building a very similar system, considering Genelecs for front speakers and I picked Neumann KH80s for surrounds and heights, they seem like a nice balance of reasonable size and excellent quality without breaking the bank. Their vertical directivity is also quite good for non-coaxial 2-way.

Of course, the dream is 8341a all around with 8351b or 8361a in front, similar to the Genelec showroom in Berlin, but that is outside budget for now...

What receiver/processor are you going with?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What receiver/processor are you going with?

Haven't decided yet. I have an older Denon(X4000) that's fine as a stopgap currently, so I'm not in a rush. But I am considering a newer Denon(X4500H+, need at least 11 pre-outs and Auro3D), the Monoprice HTP-1, and the JBL SDP-55.

I really want a demo of the JBL SDP-55's Logic16 before I make a decision, and I also want to see Dirac actually release their Bass Management module and see it show up in the HTP-1 before I buy one. Not a fan of buying products based on future software promises.

I do think the HTP-1 makes sense if Dirac is very important to you, and the various cheaper NAD options don't support height channels afaik.

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

Haven't decided yet. I have an older Denon(X4000) that's fine as a stopgap currently, so I'm not in a rush. But I am considering a newer Denon(X4500H+, need at least 11 pre-outs and Auro3D), the Monoprice HTP-1, and the JBL SDP-55.

I really want a demo of the JBL SDP-55's Logic16 before I make a decision, and I also want to see Dirac actually release their Bass Management module and see it show up in the HTP-1 before I buy one. Not a fan of buying products based on future software promises.

I do think the HTP-1 makes sense if Dirac is very important to you, and the various cheaper NAD options don't support height channels afaik.

I'm going to try out Penteo Surround for upmixing. That is the same tool used by entertainment industry.

BTW the NAD receivers do support height channel, you just need external amp.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to try out Penteo Surround for upmixing. That is the same tool used by entertainment industry.

This is an interesting option. There's a thread about it here. However it seems like the DTS:X/Atmos encoders are quite expensive, and only work on a Mac in the case of Atmos. Also, it seems like a very manual and labor intensive process to convert albums.

Definitely worth trying out though, and the cost isn't an issue if it produces better results than Auro3D or Logic16...

It seems there's some other pro software like this too.

BTW the NAD receivers do support height channel, you just need external amp.

Yeah you're right about that. So if you are going to use Penteo for upmixing, these are probably the most cost effective way to get Dirac in one box.

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

Ended up getting 8030C's for surround. How can I determine what subwoofer output is needed for my 2700 cu ft room?

Haint

Ended up getting 8030C's for surround. How can I determine what subwoofer output is needed for my 2700 cu ft room?

Dual ULS-15's, VTF-3's, or SVS 2000's are going to be the go-to recommendations and should be more than sufficient for that space. If money, size, and aesthetics are not a concern feel free to step up to dual VTF-15's or SVS 3000's and 4000's.

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

Dual ULS-15's, VTF-3's, or SVS 2000's are going to be the go-to recommendations and should be more than sufficient for that space. If money, size, and aesthetics are not a concern feel free to step up to dual VTF-15's or SVS 3000's and 4000's.

Sounds good. I am leaning toward Rythmik G22 (dual 12" sealed).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For the subs, that's a hard call. In that price range all the big guys have some great subs to offer.
HSU, SVS, Rhythmic, etc all have great models in that price range. Hard to go wrong when your spending that kind of money.

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

For the subs, that's a hard call. In that price range all the big guys have some great subs to offer.
HSU, SVS, Rhythmic, etc all have great models in that price range. Hard to go wrong when your spending that kind of money.

Ended up going with Power Sound Audio.

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just over email. He's active on AVS Forum.

Was a lot of good sense on his page. Such a nice change to hear someone just dismiss out of hand the 'digital' amp criticism...

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked the owner's no nonsense, engineering focused approach to running a subwoofer business. The subs themselves use high quality components and have a great rugged looking finish.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/tom-vodhanel-president-power-sound-audio

This rugged finish is almost selling me over dual G22s which I've been talking to Rythmik about. I think it was you or someone else over at Reddit who turned me on to the PSA ones. Unfortunately Rythmik doesn't have matte black for the G22 right now, which I'd also settle for. Have you found any measurements for PSA subwoofers? I'm curious what lack of a servo does, or if people can actually hear a subwoofer that has long decay/ringing.

What model did you go with?

Wish I had data-bass.com measurements on the S3012 from PSA... hundreds cheaper than the G25HP which would be a dream.

OP
S

Senior NEET Engineer

This rugged finish is almost selling me over dual G22s which I've been talking to Rythmik about. I think it was you or someone else over at Reddit who turned me on to the PSA ones. Unfortunately Rythmik doesn't have matte black for the G22 right now, which I'd also settle for. Have you found any measurements for PSA subwoofers? I'm curious what lack of a servo does, or if people can actually hear a subwoofer that has long decay/ringing.

What model did you go with?

Wish I had data-bass.com measurements on the S3012 from PSA... hundreds cheaper than the G25HP which would be a dream.

I went with dual S18 IPAL but returned due to issue with them. Ended up with G25HP matte black and will add dual E15HP2 later.

There is nothing special about servo system. All it does is increase the output limits. You can accomplish the same with better drivers. With same driver and cabinet size, options from either of these companies will perform similarly. Slight differences in sound will come down to the frequency response. IMO Rythmik provides nicer ASP. You can adjust the extension and dampening factor. The PSA looks a lot better in person, especially with the IPAL drivers.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went with dual S18 IPAL but returned due to issue with them. Ended up with G25HP matte black and will add dual E15HP2 later.

There is nothing special about servo system. All it does is increase the output limits. You can accomplish the same with better drivers. With same driver and cabinet size, options from either of these companies will perform similarly. Slight differences in sound will come down to the frequency response. IMO Rythmik provides nicer ASP. You can adjust the extension and dampening factor. The PSA looks a lot better in person, especially with the IPAL drivers.

Sounds like you're saying differences between similarly sized and priced subwoofers will be minor? My experience with speakers leads me to believe that most subwoofers, like most speakers, are bad, and have multiple audible issues... Maybe that's not true.

If a better driver makes servo a moot point, how does one determine the best driver? Rythmik perhaps because they are using rubber and aluminum vs people reviewing PSA say it has foam surrounds and a paper cone? DSP should make the response nearly identical. The cabinet on the PSA certainly looks better and more durable to me... the ribbed drivers just scream cheap, soft, and soggy to me compared to black aluminum, though the flatter "rubbery" drivers on the PSA look a bit better.

Wish I knew what the "ideal subwoofer" was that bumps up speakers scores a ton.

Cameron Hamill

Forum Donor

Can I please ask what the issue was that you had with the PSA S18 IPAL's? I've got my eye on those particular subs.

Top Bottom