• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for Intel Motherboard?

jcbenten

If you end up keeping the the Costco PC I would upgrade the cooler and keep a spare power supply around. I bought an Alienware Aurora after Dell bought the company and the only think I have replaced is the PS and upgraded the CPU from a i7-920 to a i7-980 (the 990 is still way too much $$). Still runs great after all these years.

The real drawback of buying pre-built is the proprietary parts they use (I could not find an aftermarket PS that would fit the AW) and may be stuck. I would seriously consider the generous offer of @mkawa .

lex62lex

If you end up keeping the the Costco PC I would upgrade the cooler and keep a spare power supply around. I bought an Alienware Aurora after Dell bought the company and the only think I have replaced is the PS and upgraded the CPU from a i7-920 to a i7-980 (the 990 is still way too much $$). Still runs great after all these years.

The real drawback of buying pre-built is the proprietary parts they use (I could not find an aftermarket PS that would fit the AW) and may be stuck. I would seriously consider the generous offer of @mkawa .
I really second this. The GPU that you got is not that great either and @mkawa has made a great case for his offer. Do you think a faster ssd could benefit your use case @amirm ? Im not sure what you are using but when you mention load times, the case could be made for a NVME drive.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real drawback of buying pre-built is the proprietary parts they use (I could not find an aftermarket PS that would fit the AW) and may be stuck.
Oh, boy, do I hate that practice! Dell had a few glorious years with standard ATX PSUs. They seem to have stopped when Mr. Dell started running things again...

Take a look at ModDIY's adapters, though you'll probably need to decipher what's compatible on your own.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's like my exact pc lol. Seasonic focus 850w platinum, 9900k, noctua dh-15s, corsair obsidian 750d and 2080ti . I have another machine that's 8700k and 1080ti though.

I liked the way the 9900k overclocked vs the 8700k.

I like the aorus line from gigabyte

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm building my cluster for running Fluent. I have already fixed the CPU that I'm gonna choose. And I have found several motherboards which are compatible with that CPU. But I have no idea about how to compare these motherboards to select the one which can achieve better CFD speed.

Which motherboard factors shall I look at? I heard about Best White Motherboard is important for the data exchange speed between the components installed on it. Which speed is important for CFD by Fluent?

By the way, the cluster will be composed of 8 motherboards. The CPU I chose is Intel Xeon E5-1620. I'm not bothering you by asking which motherboard is good. I'm just asking the way to choose a more suitable motherboard.

I think you're more likely to get an informed response to this question on a dedicated forum like: https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/

In general, unless Fluent has some very specific requirements, I would not worry too much about the choice of motherboard. I would also consider building a cluster from standard micro PCs and avoid the hassle of building the nodes...

I picked up a Dell Optiplex 7060 for under £150 earlier this month to have a play with...

Top Bottom